- Lignans are fiber-associated compounds found in many plant families and common foods including grains, nuts, seeds, vegetables, and drinks such as tea, coffee, or wine.
- Lignans are majorly used in the human diet due to their health promotion and disease preventing properties. Flaxseed and sesame seeds are the richest source of lignans, and are utilized commercially for the fortification of food products and in the pharmaceutical industry. Other sources of lignans are fruits and vegetables.
- Lignans are also used in beverages such as tea, coffee, and wine. Lignans function as the defensive chemical in plants to protect them from microorganisms and insects. Plant lignans act as precursors of mammalian lignans, contributing to the prevention of cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
- Increase in investment in R&D, rise in awareness about health, physicochemical properties of lignans, production of fortified food products, utilization of flax hulls, rise in food processing technology, increase in utilization of lignans in pharmaceuticals, and growth in disposable income of the people are key factors driving the global lignans market.
Lignans Market: Segments
- The lignans market can be segmented based on source, application, and region
- Based on source, the lignans market can be divided into oilseeds, cereals & grains, plant resins, and others
- In terms of application, the global lignans market can be classified into food & beverages, cosmetics, pharmaceutical, animal feed, and others
COVID-19 Impact on Lignans Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted a large number of countries across the globe. Various measures introduced to deal with the pandemic such as lockdowns, decrease in trade activities, and closure of various factories and workplaces in several countries, could save lives, but would carry wide-ranging economic effects, thus inducing an economic contagion.
- Shortage in supply of raw materials from various manufacturers of lignans around the globe has resulted in a severe demand-supply gap. Manufacturers are further expected to be stranded on raw material orders owing to the logistics industry being significantly impacted due to the lockdown amid COVID-19.
- The shutdown in various countries across the globe has prohibited import of various components including additives and raw materials required for improving performance. This is likely to hamper the application industries.
- The post-COVID-19 scenario appears lucrative for the lignans market due to the increase in sales of lignan-rich products owing to the rise in consumer inclination toward healthy and immunity boosting food products
Asia Pacific to Dominate Lignans Market
- In terms of geography, the global lignans market can be segmented into North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa
- China, India, and Japan are leading the lignans market in Asia Pacific due to the increase in demand for cosmetic products in these countries. Product developments and the government-mandated fortification are the key factors driving the market in the region. Rise in preference of food items that are not only nutritious, but can also help improve the overall health and well-being has led to an increase in consumption of functional food items.
- North America is an emerging region of the lignans market. Increase in population, changing lifestyle, and improvement in disposable income are boosting the lignans market in the region
- The lignans market in Europe, particularly in countries such as the U.K., Germany, and France, has been expanding significantly due to rapid industrialization. The processing of lignans mainly takes place in Denmark and France. Norway and the Netherlands are also expected to contribute significantly to lignans market in Europe. Growth of the market in Europe can be ascribed to favorable government policies.
- Demand for lignans is expected to increase in Latin America and Middle East & Africa in the near future, led by growth in standard of living of the people in these regions
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Lignans Market
Key manufacturers operating in the global lignans market include:
- Naturalin Bio-Resources Co., Ltd.
- BioGin Biochemicals Co. Ltd.
- Prairie Tide Diversified Inc.
- Skuny Bioscience Co., Ltd.
- Chengdu Biopurify Phytochemicals Ltd.
- Archer Daniels Midland Company
- TSKG Products, LLC
- Shaanxi Zebrago Industrial Co., Ltd.
- SPI Pharma
Global Lignans Market: Research Scope
Global Lignans Market, by Source
- Cereals & Grains
- Plant Resins
Global Lignans Market, by Application
- Food & Beverages
- Animal Feed
Global Lignans Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa