Krypton Gas: Introduction
- Krypton gas is a rare gas that is found in very low concentrations in air. It is obtained by using the Linde process of air separation. Krypton gas accumulates along with xenon present in the liquid oxygen at the bottom of the rectification column due to its physical properties.
- Krypton gas has high insulation properties. It exhibits a high rate of heat dissipation when used in energy-efficient windows. Moreover, krypton possesses low thermal conductivity, which increases the effectiveness of insulation.
- Krypton gas is used as a filler gas in halogen bulbs, gas discharge tubes, and energy-saving bulbs in illuminated billboards or large hoardings. Additionally, a radioactive isotope of krypton gas is primarily utilized as a tracer for the study of surface reactions and other applications, such as lithographic fabrication of semiconductors.
- Krypton gas is also employed as a filling for thermally insulating windows, lighting, and lasers. Insulating windows is expected to be a major segment of the global krypton gas market, owing to rapid expansion of the global building & construction sector. Krypton gas is primarily employed as a filling between flat glass panes fitted into heat-insulating and sound-absorbing glass windows in the manufacture of insulating glass.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Krypton Gas Market
- Rise in demand for energy-efficient infrastructure and shifting trend toward sustainable construction techniques including zero-energy buildings, energy-efficient buildings, and expansion of the construction industry are expected to drive the demand for insulated glass windows in the near future. Additionally, rapid urbanization & commercialization and stringent government regulations in developed as well as developing countries are other factors fueling the demand for insulated glass windows. This, in turn, is likely to boost the global market for krypton gas in the near future.
- Increase in the development of new technologies for the production of krypton gas across the globe is expected to create new opportunities for the global krypton gas market during the forecast period
- High price and low availability of xenon is another factor that is expected to drive the global krypton gas market. The higher availability of krypton, as compared to that of xenon, has led to an increase in research & development activities on the use of krypton gas as a potential substitute of xenon ion thrusters, which are commonly used in satellite for spacecraft propulsion.
- Additionally, krypton gas is extensively employed in the manufacture of tungsten due to the larger molecule size of krypton gas, which delays the evaporation of the tungsten filament and increases the bulb life. This results in higher light output of lamps and hence, krypton gas is extensively used as compared to argon gas.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- The coronavirus pandemic has adversely impacted the demand for krypton gas. Several nations enforced lockdowns as part of measures to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Consequently, fluorescent lighting system production facilities had to halt their operations. Krypton gas is extensively employed in fluorescent lighting systems to enhance the system’s lifespan. This in turn, hampered the demand for krypton gas.
Global Krypton Gas Market: Key Segments
- The global krypton gas market can be segmented based on application and region
- Based on application, global krypton gas market can be segregated into insulating glass window, lighting, laser, and others. The lighting segment is anticipated to expand due to a rise in the demand for fluorescent light. Krypton helps to increase the lifespan of the light bulbs in a fluorescent lighting system.
Global Krypton Gas Market: Regional Analysis
- In terms of region, the global krypton gas market can be divided into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- In terms of production, Europe held a major share of the global krypton gas market, followed by North America and Asia Pacific
- Rise in government initiatives and expansion of the building & construction sector in Europe are projected to drive the demand for sustainable buildings in the region during the forecast period
- Expansion of the semiconductor sector in Asia Pacific is attributable to rapid technological innovations and an increase in the demand for chips in the artificial intelligence industry in the region. Since krypton gas is extensively employed in the production of Excimer laser, the demand for krypton gas in Asia Pacific is projected to increase in the next few years. Excimer laser is a form of ultraviolet laser that is primarily required in the production of microelectronic equipment and devices, semiconductor-based integrated chips or circuits, and micromachining.
- The krypton gas market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is highly consolidated in nature. The two regions rely on imports from Europe and North America to fulfill their demand for krypton gas
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key companies operating in the global krypton gas market are
- Nanjing Special Gas
- Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
- AIR WATER INC.
- Praxair Technology, Inc.
- BASF SE
- The Linde Group
- Ice Blick
- Gulf Cryo
- Shengying Gas
- Proton Gases
- RasGas Company Limited
- Taiyo Nippon Sanso Corporation
- Messer Group
- Universal Industrial Gases, Inc.
Global Krypton Gas Market: Research Scope
Global Krypton Gas Market, by Application
- Insulating Glass Windows
Global Krypton Gas Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa