Increase in Incidences of Corneal Blindness Likely to Boost Keratoprosthesis (KPro) Market
- Keratoprosthesis (KPro) is an artificial cornea intended to restore vision in patients suffering from severe bilateral corneal disease. There are two types of keratoprosthesis: penetrating keratoprosthesis and non-penetrating keratoprosthesis.
- Penetrating keratoprosthesis is indicated in a patient with vision less than 20/200 in the affected eye, patient with failed cornea transplant with donor cornea and has low or no vision, patient with congenital birth defects and other ocular problems, and patient who does not have access to corneal transplant tissue. Non-penetrating keratoprosthesis is indicated in corneal dystrophies, corneal edema, corneal scars, limbal stem cell deficiency, etc.
- Keratoprosthesis is the most common treatment for severe corneal opacity. It is recommended when corneal transplant is not an option.
- Keratoprosthesis indications have expanded significantly over the years and post-operative complications have reduced with modifications in postoperative regimen and design of prosthesis. According to an article published by the Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, the last decade has experienced a surge in the number of keratoprosthesis procedures performed worldwide.
To Know More about TMRs Unique Offerings for Keratoprosthesis (KPro) Market, Request a Brochure here
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Keratoprosthesis (KPro) Market
- Blindness is one of the major public health problems in developing countries. According to the World Health Organization, corneal diseases are majorly responsible for blindness and vision loss after glaucoma and cataract.
- According to the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB), corneal opacity accounts for 3.46% of the global blindness. Corneal opacity is caused by a variety of disorders, including nutritional, congenital, traumatic, infectious, hereditary, and degenerative conditions.
- Increase in prevalence of corneal blindness and rise in the demand for technologically advanced corneal surgery equipment are anticipated to drive the keratoprosthesis market during the forecast period. Moreover, changes in lifestyle, aging population, and increase in awareness and acceptance of several corneal surgery devices have driven manufacturers to introduce devices that are patient-friendly, portable, and cost effective.
- Keratoprosthesis has evolved over the years due to product enhancement and decline in side effects of keratoplasty. The growth of the ophthalmology industry can be attributed to periodic introduction of novel technologies in the field of ophthalmic surgery. The need and preference for improved health care facilities have created potential for development and commercialization of surgical platforms.
Biosynthetic Implants to Witness High Demand
- The keratoprosthesis (KPro) market can be categorized on the basis of type of implant, indication, end-user, and region. In terms of type of implant, the keratoprosthesis (KPro) market can be segmented into synthetic implants and biosynthetic implants. On the basis of indication, the keratoprosthesis (KPro) market can be categorized into keratitis, bullous keratopathy, keratoconus, corneal stromal dystrophies, and others.
- Recent studies on the safety and functionality of biosynthetic implants have shown many benefits over conventional implants, such as low manufacturing cost and redundancy of microbiological testing, which is likely to drive the biosynthetic implants segment during the forecast period
- Based on end-user, the keratoprosthesis (KPro) market can be divided into hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, specialty clinics, and others
Looking for Customized Insights to build your Business for Future, Ask for a Custom Report here
Asia Pacific to Lead Global Keratoprosthesis (KPro) Market
- The global keratoprosthesis (KPro) market can be divided into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is expected to dominate the keratoprosthesis (KPro) market in terms of revenue during the forecast period
- Asia Pacific is likely to witness the maximum demand for the keratoprosthesis (KPro) procedure from 2019 to 2027. High prevalence of corneal blindness, low cost of surgery, and rising health care infrastructure in emerging countries, such as China and India, are likely to drive the keratoprosthesis (KPro) market in the region.
- According to the National Programme for Control of Blindness (NPCB), over 120,000 persons suffer from corneal blindness in India. According to this estimate, more than 25,000 to 30,000 corneal blindness cases are reported every year in the country. Moreover, 90% of the cases of corneal ulceration and ocular trauma leading to corneal blindness are reported in developing countries.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Keratoprosthesis (KPro) Market
Some of the prominent players operating in the keratoprosthesis (KPro) market are:
- CorNeat Vision Ltd.
- Argus Biomedical Pty Ltd
- Presbia PLC
- KeraMed, Inc.
- Alcon Inc.
- AJL Ophthalmic SA
Global Keratoprosthesis (KPro) Market, by Type of Implant
- Synthetic Implants
- Biosynthetic Implants
Global Keratoprosthesis (KPro) Market, by End-user
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers
- Specialty Clinics
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.