Jackup Rigs: Introduction
- Drilling rigs are used in offshore exploration such as deep water, shallow water, and ultra-deep water.
- Seven different types of drilling rigs are currently used for offshore operations such as jackup rigs, semi-submersible rigs, drill ships, and others. Jackup rigs are offshore rigs equipped with legs that descend to the seabed to form a foundation to support the drilling platform.
- Jackup rigs are a type of drilling rigs known as mobile offshore drilling units (MODUs). The primary advantage of the jackup design is that it offers a steady and relatively motion-free platform in the drilling position and mobilizes quickly and easily.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Jackup Rigs Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Key Drivers & Restraints of Jackup Rigs Market:
- Rise in demand for oil and gas due to industrialization, urbanization, and population growth is driving the drilling market across the globe. This, in turn, is boosting the jackup rigs market.
- Increase in exploration and new discovery of oil and gas deposits in deep and ultra-deep water are fueling the market. In January 2019, BP announced a discovery of more than 1 billion barrels of oil in its Thunder Horse field in the Gulf of Mexico. These discoveries are likely to spark long-term drilling and exploration operations over the coming years, leading to a steady rise in the demand from the global jackup rigs market over the forecast period.
- Furthermore, rise in investments in the oil & gas sector is boosting the demand of jackup rigs. For instance, in April 2017, Eni an Italy-based company signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with state-owned Oman Oil Co. (OOC) to explore the Sultanate’s only offshore block for oil & gas reserves, in partnership with OOC subsidiary Oman Oil Company for Exploration & Production (OOCEP).
- High cost of drilling projects and implementation of stringent government regulations on offshore drilling are projected to hamper the market.
Shallow Water Depth Segment to Offer Attractive Opportunities:
- The global jackup rigs market can be segmented based on type, operating depth, and region.
- Based on type, the jackup rigs market can be bifurcated into independent leg type and mat type jackups. The independent leg, usually consist of three legs with lattice construction, while the legs in the mat type jackup are attached to a very large mat that rests on the bottom of the ocean. The choice of rig depends on the conditions of the bottom of the ocean and weather general conditions and variability.
- In terms of operating depth, the market can be segmented into shallow water and deep water. The shallow water segment dominates the market. Jackup rigs are largely preferred for waters depth up to 500 feet.
North America expected to hold Lion’s Share in the Global Jackup Rigs Market:
- Based on region, the global jackup rigs market can be segregated into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa.
- North America dominated the global jackup rigs market in 2017. This trend is projected to continue during the forecast period due to the discovery of shale reserves in the U.S. and presence of a large number of private oil companies in the region.
- According to General Electric Company’s Baker Hughes Inc., the oil rig count in the U.S. increased by approximate 42% in 2017 compared to that in 2016 due to the recovery in crude oil prices.
- Middle East & Africa is a major producer of oil in the world. Offshore developments and discoveries, particularly in the Red Sea region, by countries such as Qatar, the UAE, and Saudi Arabia are anticipated to drive the jackup rigs market in the Middle East.
- The market in Latin America and Asia Pacific is estimated to expand at a considerable pace during the forecast period. Rising demand for energy and increasing investment in offshore exploration activities are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Asia Pacific is among the largest consumers of oil & gas. This demand is projected to lead to more exploration and production activities in the region.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Global Jackup Rigs Market here
Key Players Operating in the Jackup Rigs Market:
Demand within jackup rigs market is highly concentrated with top companies accounting approximately 45-50% of the market. Few of the key players operating in the jackup rigs market include
- Rowan Companies Inc.
- Noble Corporation plc
- KCA DEUTAG Ltd
- Shelf Drilling
- Maersk Drilling
- Diamond Offshore Drilling, Inc.
- Transocean Ltd.
- Seadrill Limited
- ENSCO Plc
- Halliburton Inc.
Global Jackup Rigs Market: Research Scope
Global Jackup Rigs Market, by Type
- Independent Leg Type
- Mat Type
Global Jackup Rigs Market, by operating Depth
- Shallow Water
- Deep Water
Global Jackup Rigs Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.