Isopentane Market: Overview
- Isopentane, also known as 2-methyl butane, is a clear liquid that is highly flammable at room temperature. It is utilized as a foam blowing agent in the production of polystyrene, PU foams, etc. Various industrial grade isopentane are available in the market for specific applications. For instance, isopentane 40% is used for cleaning process in electronics, as it is highly volatile as well as has low content of impurities such as benzene, sulfur, total aromatics, and olefins.
Rise in Demand for Isopentane Foam Blowing Agent to Drive Market
- The usage of isopentane as foam blowing agent in expandable polystyrene foams is a major factor driving the global isopentane market. Blended form of isopentane is employed for this application, as it provides superior stability as well as ease in processing of foam. Expandable polystyrene (EPS) is used in a wide range of applications in end-use industries. This is projected to drive the isopentane market. EPS has applications in packaging, construction, and specialty foam manufacturing areas; of this, construction and packaging segments account for major share of the global market. Ban of CFCs and phase out plan for HCFCs has also increased the adoption of isopentane among end-users. Currently, most countries across the globe have initiated phase 2 of the phase out management plan for the HCFC, wherein countries have to decrease their dependence on HCFCs that are used in foam manufacturing and refrigeration systems in order to lower greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Under phase 2 management plan, countries are projected to stop manufacturing HCFCs and minimize internal consumption of HCFCs. Governments across the globe have already started promoting alternative non-HCFC foam blowing agents. They have also initiated the enactment of regulatory framework for setting up of standard codes for use of these non-HCFCs in foam manufacturing.
- Growth of the isopentane market is expected to remain below par owing to the availability of alternative compounds. High risk involved in handling of isopentane is also likely to negatively affect the market in the near future. However, the global isopentane market is estimated to expand in line with the global GDP rate with increasing adoption of isopentane in end-use industries, particularly among expandable polystyrene (EPS) manufacturers.
Pure Form Segment to Offer Lucrative Opportunities
- Based on form, the global isopentane market can be segmented into pure form (99%), isopentane 95%, and blended isopentane
- The pure form segment is expected to dominate the global isopentane market during the forecast period. It is the fastest-growing form segment of the global isopentane market. Isopentane is primarily employed as a foam blowing agent in packaging and construction industries.
EPS Blowing Agent Application Segment to Hold Major Share of Market
- Based on application, the global isopentane market can be divided into EPS blowing agent, electronic cleaning, chemical solvent, aerosol propellant, and others
- The EPS blowing agent segment is anticipated to dominate the global isopentane market during the forecast period. It is the second-fastest growing application segment of the global isopentane market.
Asia Pacific to Constitute Significant Share of Global Isopentane Market
- In terms of region, the global isopentane market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global market in 2019, owing to the presence of key manufacturers and rise in trade activities from China. Demand for isopentane is high among EPS manufacturers in the region due to the implementation of phase 2 of HCFC phase out management plan prescribed by the Montreal Protocol.
- North America is also projected to hold prominent share of the global isopentane market during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to high demand for isopentane in packaging, construction, and electronics industries.
Key Players in Global Isopentane Market
- Manufacturers of isopentane are highly consolidated in Asia Pacific. Trading activities from countries in Asia Pacific, such as China, have been increasing at a rapid pace since the last few years.
- Prominent players operating in the global isopentane market are investing in technological developments and new product launches in order to maintain their leading position
Key players operating in the global isopentane market include:
- Phillips 66
- ExxonMobil Chemical
- TOP Solvent
- Junyuan Petroleum Group
- South Hampton Resources
- Aeropres Corporation
- Diversified CPC
- Rizhao Changlian
Global Isopentane Market: Research Scope
Global Isopentane Market, by Form
- Pure Form (99%)
- Isopentane 95%
- Blended Isopentane
- 20% Isopentane
- 40% Isopentane
- 50% Isopentane
- Custom Blended Isopentane
Global Isopentane Market, by Application
- EPS Blowing Agent
- Electronic Cleaning
- Chemical Solvent
- Aerosol Propellant
- Others (Cosmetic & Personal Care, Energy, etc.)