Ionomer Resins Market: Resins Used in Wide Range of Packaging Applications
- Ionomer resins are generally thermoplastic resins used for packaging applications owing to their superior barrier properties. These resins are known for their high clarity, adjustability, toughness, ease of fabrication, and cost effectiveness. Ionomer resins possess high resistance to oil penetration and low sealing temperature.
- Ethylene acrylic acid copolymer (EAA) is a highly used ionomer resin. Generally, it is utilized as a tie-layer or adhesive resin that can easily adhere to polar substrates, aluminum foil, metallized films, papers, iron, steel, and glass. EAA resins provide significant resistance to acid, oil, and grease. They also provide excellent resistance to puncture, tear, and abrasion.
- Major applications of ionomer resins include coatings, inks, surface coating films for golf balls, food packaging, sports equipment, and molded bottles that are used for cosmetics applications
- Surlyn resins, manufactured by DuPont, are one of common commercially available ionomer resins that are used in packaging applications such as food packaging, cosmetic packaging, medical device packaging, and skin and stretch packaging
- Ionomer resins can be converted into films through conventional processing methods such as blown, co-extrusion, cast, and lamination. Advantages of ionomer resins include low-temperature initiation, scratch resistance, and lightness of weight.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Ionomer Resins Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Rise in Demand from Food Packaging Industry to Drive Market
- Demand for ionomer resins in the manufacture of composite films is gaining popularity in the food packaging industry. These films, which are made up of ionomer resins, provide good heat sealability. Ionomer resins possess excellent oil and grease resistance owing to their unique polarity.
- Ionomers with ethylene-acrylic acid resins have excellent adhesion power, resulting in high film strength and barrier properties. These ionomers are widely used for the packaging of food materials such as meat, poultry, fish, seafood, cheese, edible oil, vegetables etc
- Proper packaging of food using ionomer resin improves its shelf life of the product since it is kept in a sterile environment.
- Significant expansion of the food packaging industry can be ascribed to the rise in concern about food safety. Rise in consumer awareness about the harmful effects of consumption of contaminated food is compelling manufacturers to concentrate on product quality.
- Companies engaged in the manufacture of ionomer resins, such as DuPont, are launching new products and technologies that meet consumer requirements.
- Increase in working population, rise in disposable income, and changes in lifestyles and food preferences are anticipated to boost the food packaging industry, thereby propelling the demand for ionomer resins
Cosmetic Container Applications to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- Rise in application of ionomer resins in the manufacture of cosmetic containers is anticipated to offer lucrative opportunities for the market in the near future. These containers, made using ionomer resins, are light in weight and unbreakable.
- Advancements in injection molding technologies are likely to boost the ionomer resins market, as they lower the production time and cost of manufacturing of containers of various shapes
- Innovative package designs and increase in demand for cosmetics owing to the growth in young population are estimated to offer lucrative opportunities for the market during the forecast period. Innovation in packaging is another factor positively impacting the overall cosmetics packaging industry, thereby offering lucrative platform for the ionomer resins market
- Cosmetics manufacturers prefer containers that can improve the lifespan of the product. Packaging solutions that are made up of ionomer resins are heat resistant and possess superior mechanical and chemical properties. All these factors are likely to offer promising opportunities for the ionomer resins market.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Ionomer Resins Market here
Stiff Competition from Other Resins Used for Packaging Applications to Restrain Ionomer Resins Market
- Rise in consumption of resins for packaging applications such as High Density Poly Ethylene (HDPE), Low Density Poly Ethylene (LDPE), Poly Ethylene Terephthalate (PET), and Polypropylene (PP) is expected to restrain the global ionomer resins market
- Compared to other resins, ionomer resins quickly absorb moisture and may lead to a decrease in product quality. Furthermore, difficulties associated with the extrusion technology is anticipated to hamper the market. Substitute resins such as LDPE and HDPE are more compatible for the extrusion technology.
Asia Pacific Projected to Hold Significant Share of Global Ionomer Resins Market
- In terms of region, the global ionomer resins market can be split into five regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is estimated to account for prominent share of the global ionomer resins market in the near future owing to the rise in demand for ionomer resins in food & cosmetics packaging applications. Significant progress made in plastic molding technologies, such as extrusion and intrusion, is another key factor propelling the market share of Asia Pacific.
- High population and growth in disposable income of the middle class population, especially in countries such as China and India, are also considered major factors positively impacting the ionomer resins market in Asia Pacific
Key Players in Market
The global ionomer resins market is moderately concentrated, with the top manufacturers accounting for major share. Prominent players operating in the global ionomer resins market seek to enter into partnerships for the development of ionomer resins applications and commercialization of its technology.
Key players operating in the ionomer resins market include:
- DuPont de Nemours, Inc
- Honeywell International Inc
- Asahi Kasei Corporation
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- GE Plastics
- Dongyue Group
- KPL International Limited
- Lyondell Basell Industries Holdings B.V.
- Entec Polymers
- TER HELL & Co. GmbH
- SNP, Inc.
Global Ionomer Resins Market: Research Scope
Global Ionomer Resins Market, by Resin
- Ethyl Acrylic Acid (EAA)
- Polyvinyl Acetal (PVA)
- Perfluorinated Sulfonic Acid (PFSA)
- Others (Including ethyl methacrylic acid and Polybutylene terephthalate)
Global Ionomer Resins Market, by Application
- Food Packaging
- Cosmetics Packaging
- Medical Device Packaging
- Golf Ball Coverings
- Others (Including Skin & Stretch Packaging and Drinking Water)
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.