Ionomer Resins Market: Resins Used in Wide Range of Packaging Applications
- Ionomer resins are generally thermoplastic resins used for packaging applications owing to their superior barrier properties. These resins are known for their high clarity, adjustability, toughness, ease of fabrication, and cost effectiveness. Ionomer resins possess high resistance to oil penetration and low sealing temperature.
- Ethylene acrylic acid copolymer (EAA) is a highly used ionomer resin. Generally, it is utilized as a tie-layer or adhesive resin that can easily adhere to polar substrates, aluminum foil, metallized films, papers, iron, steel, and glass. EAA resins provide significant resistance to acid, oil, and grease. They also provide excellent resistance to puncture, tear, and abrasion.
- Major applications of ionomer resins include coatings, inks, surface coating films for golf balls, food packaging, sports equipment, and molded bottles that are used for cosmetics applications
- Surlyn resins, manufactured by DuPont, are one of common commercially available ionomer resins that are used in packaging applications such as food packaging, cosmetic packaging, medical device packaging, and skin and stretch packaging
- Ionomer resins can be converted into films through conventional processing methods such as blown, co-extrusion, cast, and lamination. Advantages of ionomer resins include low-temperature initiation, scratch resistance, and lightness of weight.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Ionomer Resins Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Rise in Demand from Food Packaging Industry to Drive Market
- Demand for ionomer resins in the manufacture of composite films is gaining popularity in the food packaging industry. These films, which are made up of ionomer resins, provide good heat sealability. Ionomer resins possess excellent oil and grease resistance owing to their unique polarity.
- Ionomers with ethylene-acrylic acid resins have excellent adhesion power, resulting in high film strength and barrier properties. These ionomers are widely used for the packaging of food materials such as meat, poultry, fish, seafood, cheese, edible oil, vegetables etc
- Proper packaging of food using ionomer resin improves its shelf life of the product since it is kept in a sterile environment.
- Significant expansion of the food packaging industry can be ascribed to the rise in concern about food safety. Rise in consumer awareness about the harmful effects of consumption of contaminated food is compelling manufacturers to concentrate on product quality.
- Companies engaged in the manufacture of ionomer resins, such as DuPont, are launching new products and technologies that meet consumer requirements.
- Increase in working population, rise in disposable income, and changes in lifestyles and food preferences are anticipated to boost the food packaging industry, thereby propelling the demand for ionomer resins
Cosmetic Container Applications to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- Rise in application of ionomer resins in the manufacture of cosmetic containers is anticipated to offer lucrative opportunities for the market in the near future. These containers, made using ionomer resins, are light in weight and unbreakable.
- Advancements in injection molding technologies are likely to boost the ionomer resins market, as they lower the production time and cost of manufacturing of containers of various shapes
- Innovative package designs and increase in demand for cosmetics owing to the growth in young population are estimated to offer lucrative opportunities for the market during the forecast period. Innovation in packaging is another factor positively impacting the overall cosmetics packaging industry, thereby offering lucrative platform for the ionomer resins market
- Cosmetics manufacturers prefer containers that can improve the lifespan of the product. Packaging solutions that are made up of ionomer resins are heat resistant and possess superior mechanical and chemical properties. All these factors are likely to offer promising opportunities for the ionomer resins market.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Ionomer Resins Market here
Stiff Competition from Other Resins Used for Packaging Applications to Restrain Ionomer Resins Market
- Rise in consumption of resins for packaging applications such as High Density Poly Ethylene (HDPE), Low Density Poly Ethylene (LDPE), Poly Ethylene Terephthalate (PET), and Polypropylene (PP) is expected to restrain the global ionomer resins market
- Compared to other resins, ionomer resins quickly absorb moisture and may lead to a decrease in product quality. Furthermore, difficulties associated with the extrusion technology is anticipated to hamper the market. Substitute resins such as LDPE and HDPE are more compatible for the extrusion technology.
Asia Pacific Projected to Hold Significant Share of Global Ionomer Resins Market
- In terms of region, the global ionomer resins market can be split into five regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is estimated to account for prominent share of the global ionomer resins market in the near future owing to the rise in demand for ionomer resins in food & cosmetics packaging applications. Significant progress made in plastic molding technologies, such as extrusion and intrusion, is another key factor propelling the market share of Asia Pacific.
- High population and growth in disposable income of the middle class population, especially in countries such as China and India, are also considered major factors positively impacting the ionomer resins market in Asia Pacific
Key Players in Market
The global ionomer resins market is moderately concentrated, with the top manufacturers accounting for major share. Prominent players operating in the global ionomer resins market seek to enter into partnerships for the development of ionomer resins applications and commercialization of its technology.
Key players operating in the ionomer resins market include:
- DuPont de Nemours, Inc
- Honeywell International Inc
- Asahi Kasei Corporation
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- GE Plastics
- Dongyue Group
- KPL International Limited
- Lyondell Basell Industries Holdings B.V.
- Entec Polymers
- TER HELL & Co. GmbH
- SNP, Inc.
Global Ionomer Resins Market: Research Scope
Global Ionomer Resins Market, by Resin
- Ethyl Acrylic Acid (EAA)
- Polyvinyl Acetal (PVA)
- Perfluorinated Sulfonic Acid (PFSA)
- Others (Including ethyl methacrylic acid and Polybutylene terephthalate)
Global Ionomer Resins Market, by Application
- Food Packaging
- Cosmetics Packaging
- Medical Device Packaging
- Golf Ball Coverings
- Others (Including Skin & Stretch Packaging and Drinking Water)
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.