The powder obtained after various levels of drying and processing of edible insects rich in protein content is referred to as edible insect protein powder. Generally, the category of edible insects considered are rich in bioavailable minerals and can offer rich nutrition to human diet in the form of edible insect protein powder. Insects are considered as best sources of protein as compared to other regular protein sources consumed by the humans. The nutrition offered by the insects include monounsaturated (MUFA) and polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), vitamins and minerals including as zinc, iron, magnesium, copper, biotin, selenium, and pantothenic acid. The cost benefits are also high for the manufacturers as most of the feedstock used in the edible insects protein powder is entirely used and has maximum utilization and consumption.
Reasons for Covering this Title
Insect protein powders are the emerging product segments whose penetration varies from country to country. The global market size of edible insects is estimated to be more than US$ 25 Bn and is projected to grow at massive rates. Most of the insect’s body is composed of protein which is ideal for protein alternatives. A rise in weather uncertainties, hike in labor wages, overall has resulted in a rise in plant proteins supply which has offered opportunities for alternative protein including Insect Protein Powders market to grow.
Insect Protein Powders are mainly used in Protein bars and protein-based snacks in the B2C segment, while it is used as a food additive. There have been continued product launches backed by rising demand for protein foods. A UK startup namely Mophagy launched their cricket powder. NutriBug also launched its product cricket protein powder. Asia will rule the Insect Protein Powders market in the long-run due to higher availability of various insects due to the presence of varied climate zones. In the year 2017, Dane Creek Capital increased its stake in Midgard Insect Farm from 48% to 65%. Midgard is an insect producer focused on dog and cat food products. The report encompasses in a deep-dive analysis of the segments and sub-segments of Insect Protein Powders.
Global Insect Protein Powders: Market Segmentation
On the basis of Insect Type, the global Insect Protein Powders market has been segmented as –
- Others (Locusts, Stink Bugs, Water Bugs, Mealworms, Bagworms)
On the basis of End-Use, the global Insect Protein Powders market has been segmented as –
- Bakery Products & Confectionery
- Protein Bars
- Energy Bars
- Protein based Snacks
- Dietary Supplements
- Pet Food
- Animal Feed
Global Insect Protein Powders Market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global Insect Protein Powders market are Entomo Farms, Exoprotein, Nutribug, Protix, Proti-Farm, Coast Protein, Aketta, C-fu Foods and others.
Opportunities for Market Participants
According to a research study, insect consumption is spread widely across various parts of the world. However, the consumption of species varies from country to country based on regional preferences. Currently, there are more than 2,000 species have been reported to be edible, and there is potential for 1 million plus species will be categorized as edible in the future. (Source: UN FAO, Edible insects: Prospects for food and feed security, 2013). Advancements in insects rearing to processing technology will augment Insect Protein Powders market in the long-term. Additionally, improvements in product formats, packaging and knowledge awareness across various media platforms will support the Insect Protein Powders market growth.
Brief Approach to Research
A modeling-based approach is followed and triangulation methodology to estimate data covered in Insect Protein Powders report. A detailed market understanding and assessment of the primary ingredient flavor and end-uses of the product segments included in the study is followed by carrying out a demand-side approach to estimate the sales of target product segments, which is then cross-referenced with a supply-side assessment of value generated over a pre-defined period. The statistics and data are collected at a regional level, consolidated and synthesized at a global level to estimate the overall market sizes.
Key Data Points Covered in the Report
Some of the key data points covered in Insect Protein Powders report include:
- An overview of the Insect Protein Powders market, including background and evolution
- Macroeconomic factors affecting the Insect Protein Powders market and its potential
- Insect Protein Powders Market dynamics, such as drivers, challenges, and trends
- Detailed value chain analysis of the Insect Protein Powders market
- The cost structure of the products and segments covered in the study
- In-depth pricing analysis, by key product segments, regions and by major market participants
- Analysis of supply and demand, such as top producing and consuming geographies, imports/exports, and overall trade scenario
- Analysis of the Insect Protein Powders market structure, including a tier-wise categorization of key market participants
- Competitive landscape of the Insect Protein Powders market, including detailed profiles of the top players in this market
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.