Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market: Introduction
- Inhaled drugs are an important part of treatment for chronic lung disease, as the medicine rapidly reaches the airways. Metered-dose inhalers (MDIs), dry powder inhalers, nebulizers, and soft mist inhalers are currently available with different medicines for the treatment of respiratory diseases. Increase in R&D expenditure for the development of new therapies and promising drugs in pipeline and development of approaches for early diagnosis and treatment reducing undiagnosed cases boost the market.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market
- Prevalence of respiratory diseases has increased globally, especially in the last decade. Asthma is a major health concern affecting a large number of people across the globe. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is also a life-threatening lung disease that is responsible for early mortality and high death rates. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema. According to the World Health Organization, currently 235 million people worldwide are suffering from asthma and 338,000 deaths due to asthma were reported in 2015. As per American Lung Association (ALA), there may be as many as 24 million adults in the U.S. living with COPD, making it the third-leading cause of death in the U.S., following heart disease and cancer. Over 800,000 hospitalizations each year, in the U.S., are related to COPD. According to the Forum of International Respiratory Societies (FIRS), COPD affects more than 200 million people and is likely to be the third-leading cause of death in the world by 2030. As per CDC, number of visits to emergency departments with pneumonia as the primary diagnosis was 1.3 million in U.S. in 2017. The disease burden is increasing among adults and thereby, increasing the need for inhaled antibiotics therapy.
- Product launch is also boosting the market. In October 2017, Polyphor, launched an inhaled form of the investigational antibiotic murepavadin (POL7080), which acts specifically against the bacterial strain Pseudomonas aeruginosa, which is a strain found in patients with several lung diseases, including cystic fibrosis- and non-cystic fibrosis-associated bronchiectasis. In June 2018, Lupin launched antibiotic Tobramycin inhalation solution in the U.S. market for the management of cystic fibrosis.
- However, side-effects associated with drug inhalation and unattainability of single effective inhaler may hamper the market. The most common side-effects reported with administration of aerosolized antibiotics include cough, wheezing, hemoptysis, and dyspnea with considerable variation by antibiotic. The preparation of inhaled tobramycin that was initially studied included a preservative that was irritating to the airway.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Metered dose inhaler is estimated to dominate the global inhaled antibiotics therapy market
- Based on product type, the global inhaled antibiotics therapy market can be divided into metered dose inhaler, dry powder formulation, and spray
- The metered dose inhaler segment accounted for a prominent share of the market, in terms of revenue, in 2019 as it is a traditional product. According to an article published by Proveris Scientific Corpora in ONdrugDelivery Magazine in 2018, pressurized metered dose inhalers (pMDIs) are currently a prominent segment, in terms of revenue, in the asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) drug delivery devices market. The segment is expected to maintain this position in 2020.
- As per an article published in the National Center for Biotechnology Information in 2019, most common device types sold in Europe in 2011 were pressurized metered-dose inhalers (pMDIs; 47.5%), followed by dry powder inhalers (DPIs; 39.5%).
Bronchitis Segment to expand significantly
- Based on application, the global inhaled antibiotics therapy market can be divided into pneumonia, asthma, bronchitis, and others
- The asthma segment accounted for a prominent share of the market in 2019. The disease burden is increasing among adults as well as the pediatric population due to genetics or some environmental factors including microbial exposure, exposure to passive smoking, and air pollution, thereby fueling the demand for asthma treatment. As per Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, currently, about 6.2 million children aged 18 and younger, were suffering with asthma in the U.S. In 2017, 1 in every 12 children had asthma.
- However, the bronchitis segment is projected to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period. The rate of COPD is rising across the globe, and the WHO projects that the disease is estimated to be the third-largest cause of death by 2030. Rise in geriatric population, increase in the number of smokers in countries, such as China and India, and high pollution levels are anticipated to boost the market during the second half of the forecast period, which shall persist even after 2026 right up to 2030.
Retail Pharmacies is estimated to dominate the Global Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market
- Based on distribution channel, the global inhaled antibiotics therapy market can be divided into: hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online pharmacies
- The retail pharmacies segment accounted for a notable share of the market, in terms of revenue, in 2019. The segment is expected to maintain its position during the forecast period. However, the online pharmacies segment is projected to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period due to an increase in popularity of online pharmacies to obtain prescribed drugs and steady adoption of this distribution channel by customers.
- Increase in the number of therapeutics being dispensed through retail pharmacies and a rise in the number of retail pharmacies in developing countries make retail pharmacies a major channel of distribution
North America is estimated to dominate the Global Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market
- In terms of region, the global inhaled antibiotics therapy market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of revenue, North America dominated the global inhaled antibiotics therapy market, followed by Europe. Increase in incidence of targeted disease, rise in number of FDA approvals, and numerous product launches in the U.S. contribute to the leading share held by the region. Furthermore, an increase in concern about disease management, including prevention, diagnosis, and treatment, drive the market in the region. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2018, 9 million adults in the U.S. were diagnosed with chronic bronchitis. However, patent expiry of a few drug formulations and a rise in the pricing pressure are projected to restrain the asthma treatment market in North America during the forecast period.
- High prevalence of asthma, pneumonia, increase in the addiction to smoking, and rise in environmental pollution in China and India are anticipated to drive the market during the forecast period. According to an article published in the Lung India journal, an estimated 15-20 million asthma patients, at least one in every 10 asthma patients, globally, is from India. Furthermore, an increase in focus on respiratory disease management and rise in awareness about managing asthma further boosts the market in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global inhaled antibiotics therapy market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Gilead Sciences
- Lupin Ltd
- Insmed Incorporated
- Savara Pharmaceuticals
- Joincare Pharmaceutical Group
- Pharmaxis Ltd
Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market: Research Scope
Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market, by Product Type
- Metered Dose Inhaler
- Dry Powder Formulation
Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market, by Application
Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.