Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market: Introduction
- Inhaled drugs are an important part of treatment for chronic lung disease, as the medicine rapidly reaches the airways. Metered-dose inhalers (MDIs), dry powder inhalers, nebulizers, and soft mist inhalers are currently available with different medicines for the treatment of respiratory diseases. Increase in R&D expenditure for the development of new therapies and promising drugs in pipeline and development of approaches for early diagnosis and treatment reducing undiagnosed cases boost the market.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market
- Prevalence of respiratory diseases has increased globally, especially in the last decade. Asthma is a major health concern affecting a large number of people across the globe. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is also a life-threatening lung disease that is responsible for early mortality and high death rates. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) includes chronic bronchitis and emphysema. According to the World Health Organization, currently 235 million people worldwide are suffering from asthma and 338,000 deaths due to asthma were reported in 2015. As per American Lung Association (ALA), there may be as many as 24 million adults in the U.S. living with COPD, making it the third-leading cause of death in the U.S., following heart disease and cancer. Over 800,000 hospitalizations each year, in the U.S., are related to COPD. According to the Forum of International Respiratory Societies (FIRS), COPD affects more than 200 million people and is likely to be the third-leading cause of death in the world by 2030. As per CDC, number of visits to emergency departments with pneumonia as the primary diagnosis was 1.3 million in U.S. in 2017. The disease burden is increasing among adults and thereby, increasing the need for inhaled antibiotics therapy.
- Product launch is also boosting the market. In October 2017, Polyphor, launched an inhaled form of the investigational antibiotic murepavadin (POL7080), which acts specifically against the bacterial strain Pseudomonas aeruginosa, which is a strain found in patients with several lung diseases, including cystic fibrosis- and non-cystic fibrosis-associated bronchiectasis. In June 2018, Lupin launched antibiotic Tobramycin inhalation solution in the U.S. market for the management of cystic fibrosis.
- However, side-effects associated with drug inhalation and unattainability of single effective inhaler may hamper the market. The most common side-effects reported with administration of aerosolized antibiotics include cough, wheezing, hemoptysis, and dyspnea with considerable variation by antibiotic. The preparation of inhaled tobramycin that was initially studied included a preservative that was irritating to the airway.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Metered dose inhaler is estimated to dominate the global inhaled antibiotics therapy market
- Based on product type, the global inhaled antibiotics therapy market can be divided into metered dose inhaler, dry powder formulation, and spray
- The metered dose inhaler segment accounted for a prominent share of the market, in terms of revenue, in 2019 as it is a traditional product. According to an article published by Proveris Scientific Corpora in ONdrugDelivery Magazine in 2018, pressurized metered dose inhalers (pMDIs) are currently a prominent segment, in terms of revenue, in the asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) drug delivery devices market. The segment is expected to maintain this position in 2020.
- As per an article published in the National Center for Biotechnology Information in 2019, most common device types sold in Europe in 2011 were pressurized metered-dose inhalers (pMDIs; 47.5%), followed by dry powder inhalers (DPIs; 39.5%).
Bronchitis Segment to expand significantly
- Based on application, the global inhaled antibiotics therapy market can be divided into pneumonia, asthma, bronchitis, and others
- The asthma segment accounted for a prominent share of the market in 2019. The disease burden is increasing among adults as well as the pediatric population due to genetics or some environmental factors including microbial exposure, exposure to passive smoking, and air pollution, thereby fueling the demand for asthma treatment. As per Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, currently, about 6.2 million children aged 18 and younger, were suffering with asthma in the U.S. In 2017, 1 in every 12 children had asthma.
- However, the bronchitis segment is projected to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period. The rate of COPD is rising across the globe, and the WHO projects that the disease is estimated to be the third-largest cause of death by 2030. Rise in geriatric population, increase in the number of smokers in countries, such as China and India, and high pollution levels are anticipated to boost the market during the second half of the forecast period, which shall persist even after 2026 right up to 2030.
Retail Pharmacies is estimated to dominate the Global Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market
- Based on distribution channel, the global inhaled antibiotics therapy market can be divided into: hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, and online pharmacies
- The retail pharmacies segment accounted for a notable share of the market, in terms of revenue, in 2019. The segment is expected to maintain its position during the forecast period. However, the online pharmacies segment is projected to expand at a notable CAGR during the forecast period due to an increase in popularity of online pharmacies to obtain prescribed drugs and steady adoption of this distribution channel by customers.
- Increase in the number of therapeutics being dispensed through retail pharmacies and a rise in the number of retail pharmacies in developing countries make retail pharmacies a major channel of distribution
North America is estimated to dominate the Global Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market
- In terms of region, the global inhaled antibiotics therapy market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- In terms of revenue, North America dominated the global inhaled antibiotics therapy market, followed by Europe. Increase in incidence of targeted disease, rise in number of FDA approvals, and numerous product launches in the U.S. contribute to the leading share held by the region. Furthermore, an increase in concern about disease management, including prevention, diagnosis, and treatment, drive the market in the region. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2018, 9 million adults in the U.S. were diagnosed with chronic bronchitis. However, patent expiry of a few drug formulations and a rise in the pricing pressure are projected to restrain the asthma treatment market in North America during the forecast period.
- High prevalence of asthma, pneumonia, increase in the addiction to smoking, and rise in environmental pollution in China and India are anticipated to drive the market during the forecast period. According to an article published in the Lung India journal, an estimated 15-20 million asthma patients, at least one in every 10 asthma patients, globally, is from India. Furthermore, an increase in focus on respiratory disease management and rise in awareness about managing asthma further boosts the market in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Market
The global inhaled antibiotics therapy market was highly fragmented in 2019. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- Gilead Sciences
- Lupin Ltd
- Insmed Incorporated
- Savara Pharmaceuticals
- Joincare Pharmaceutical Group
- Pharmaxis Ltd
Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market: Research Scope
Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market, by Product Type
- Metered Dose Inhaler
- Dry Powder Formulation
Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market, by Application
Inhaled Antibiotics Therapy Market, by Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.