Industrial Biocides: Introduction
- Industrial biocides are a chemical compound that can be used to destroy harmful organisms by biological means. The primary objective of biocides is to kill and control bacteria. Biocides are primarily divided into two types: oxidizing and non-oxidizing.
- Oxidizing biocides kill microorganism by oxidizing the cell structure and disrupting nutrients from passing across the cell wall. Common examples of oxidizing industrial biocides are chlorine, bromine, and sodium bromide.
- Nonoxidizing industrial biocides prevent the reproduction of bacteria by breaking the cell wall and stopping the process of respiration. This process of killing the bacteria can take several hours or up to a day. Common examples of non-oxidizing industrial biocides are Glutaraldehyde, Dibromonitrilopropionamide (DBNPA), and Polyhexamethylene biguanide (PHMB).
Trends in Industrial Biocides market
- In 2019, Lanxess, a prominent global specialty chemicals company, acquired Itibanyl Produtos Especiais Ltda. (IPEL), a notable manufacturer of biocide based in Sao Paulo, Brazil, to strengthen its position in the production of active biocidal ingredients and formulation
- General Electric Company announced a new biocide that has a wide range of applications in industrial cooling water systems and is specifically designed to reduce microbiologically influenced corrosion and potentially the risk of Legionella bacteria. GE’s Spectrus TD1100E is a non-oxidizing type of industrial biocide that is used to kill microorganisms in open evaporative cooling systems.
- In 2019, Vink Chemicals GmbH & Co. KG, a leading biocide manufacturer based in Kakenstorf, Germany, acquired ISP Biochema Schwaben GmbH to enhance its production capacity of industrial biocides and other chemicals. The company generates 95% of its revenue from production and sales of industrial biocides.
Key Drivers of Industrial Biocides Market
- Demand of industrial biocides are primarily driven by water treatment industries. An increase in population in countries in Asia Pacific, such as China, India, and Bangladesh, is fueling the demand for clean drinking water. Countries such as India and China are facing issues related to water pollution. In 2016, the Government of India launched the Namami Gange Project to clean polluted rivers of India. The government announced a budget of US$ 105 Mn under the Namami Gange Project for 2020 to 2021. This is estimated to boost the consumption of water treatment chemicals, thereby increasing the demand for industrial biocides in the country.
- Industrial biocides are also utilized in large volumes in the oil & gas industry. Biocides are used to control harmful microorganisms in water that is employed in fracturing jobs and production systems, thereby reducing potential issues such as microbiologically induced corrosion (MIC), biomass accumulation, biogenic sulfide production, oil carryover, and polymer degradation. Biocides utilized in the oil & gas industry also prevent the accumulation of sulfate-reducing bacteria (SRB)-generated hydrogen sulfide and iron sulfide that can damage production equipment and vessels, which lead to system failure and drive the operation cost to oil drilling companies.
Covid-19 Impact on Industrial Biocides Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has a small impact on end-use industry of industrial biocides. A majority of the demand for biocides is generated from water treatment and agriculture industries in the form of fungicides, rodenticides, avicides, insecticides and other crop protection chemicals. Demand of agricultural products such as food grains, fruits, and vegetables has surged due to panic buying from consumers. In urban areas around the world, reports of panic buying and food hoarding have proliferated since the pandemic began. Increase in consumption of food products and clean drinking water during the lockdown period has boosted the sales of industrial biocides in these end-use industries.
Asia Pacific to Hold Significant Share of Global Industrial Biocides Market
- In terms of region, the global industrial biocides market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The industrial biocides market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, followed by Latin America
- Asia Pacific is a prominent producer of agricultural products such as rice, wheat, and vegetables. Hence, the requirement for industrial biocides, such as insecticides and rodenticides, is the high in the region. Furthermore, demand for water treatment products is expected to drive the industrial biocides market in the region. The market in Europe is estimated to expand in the near future, as farmers are focusing on agriculture and consequently, boost the usage of industrial biocides for crops.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key players operating in the global industrial biocides market include:
- BASF SE
- Water Treatment Products Ltd
- Lenntech B.V.
- Vink Chemicals GmbH & Co. KG
- Albemarle Corporation
Global Industrial Biocides Market: Research Scope
Global Industrial Biocides Market, by Application
- Wastewater treatment
- Paints & coatings
- Food & Beverages
Global Industrial Biocides Market, by Types
- Oxidizing – Halogen containing compounds
- Chlorine dioxide
- Oxidizing – Non-halogen containing compounds
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Potassium permanganate
- Non-oxidizing Biocides
- Amines and halogenated amides
- Heterocyclic ketones
- Metallic compounds
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!