Ice-resistant Coatings Market: Prevention of Ice or Snow Adhesion
- Ice-resistant coatings, also referred to as anti-ice coatings, ice-repellant coatings or ice-phobic coatings, protect the coated surface from snow, ice, frost, and sleet. These coatings prevent adhesion of ice or snow to the surface. They can be applied to various types of substrates such as plastics, metals, concrete, glass, and composite materials.
- Ice or snow buildup on the surface is a common issue witnessed in cold-climate areas across the world. Icing of surfaces leads to safety concerns, impaired functionality, and high economic and environmental costs associated with deicing activities.
- Demand for ice-resistant coatings is increasing in cold-climate areas across the world, especially in Europe and North America. This is attributable to their ability to offer more enduring, cost-effective, and eco-friendly alternative for the ice-resistant systems currently in use.
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Ice-Resistant Coatings Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Key Drivers of Global Ice-Resistant Coatings Market
- Icing is accumulation of ice caused by freezing of liquids on a surface. Icing hampers the functioning of systems. Ice buildup is a common issue in several countries. Aircraft, power utilities, telecommunication lines, wind mills, solar panels, electric equipment, and utilities (such as heat exchangers in chemical plants) experience damage due to icing. For example, icing on screens and bodies of aircraft damages the aerodynamic shape of aircraft to a large extent and increases the load on aircraft. Use of ice-resistant coatings is an efficient method to cut costs and address safety concerns associated with icing. This is estimated to be a key driver of the global ice-resistant coatings market during the forecast period.
- The aerospace & automotive segment accounted for a major share of the global market in 2017. The segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, due to rise in the use of ice-resistant coatings on rotor blades of wind turbines.
- Icing causes safety hazards to rotor blades and leads to forced stoppages of wind power plants. These power downtimes are not financially feasible. Moreover, icing affects the life and mechanical strength of rotor blades. Removing ice mechanically from rotor blades is not feasible. Thus, ice-resistant coatings offer a more convenient alternative for conventionally used methods such as manual removal of ice and use of chemicals and heating coils.
Metal Segment to Dominate the Global Market
- The metal segment is estimated to dominate the global ice-resistant coatings market during the forecast period. Ice-resistant coatings provide a protective layer and reduce deposition of ice on metal surfaces.
- The glass segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. Snow or ice accumulates on glass windows and windscreens of automobiles and aircraft. Icing on the windward surface of an aircraft changes its aerodynamic shape and poses a safety hazard. Hence, the glass segment is anticipated to expand at a considerable pace during the forecast period.
Lack of Technology Improvement to Hamper Market
- Ice-resistant coatings being used currently are not sufficiently capable to prevent ice formation and freezing of water. They need iceophobicity as well as superhydrophobicity.
- Moreover, ice-resistant coatings have low durability, which makes them susceptible to mechanical wear and tear. These coatings need to be applied at regular intervals and they are not easy to repair. Sometimes, mechanical removal of ice is required even after the application of coatings.
- Lack of technology to produce ice-resistant coatings with desired properties such as greater durability is likely to restrain the global ice-resistant coatings market during the forecast period
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Ice-resistant Coatings Market here.
Europe Expected to Hold a Significant Share of Global Ice-resistant Coatings Market
- In terms of region, the global ice-resistant coatings market can be divided into: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe was the leading market for ice-resistant coatings, in terms of both value and volume, in 2018. The region is estimated to continue its dominance during the forecast period. The region consists of Nordic countries, which have cold climate and which are prone to issues caused by ice accumulation. The market in Europe is estimated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period.
- North America is a leading consumer of ice-resistant coatings across the world. The market in the region is likely to expand at a rapid pace in the next few years. This can be attributed to cold climatic conditions in the region, which augment the demand for ice-resistant coatings.
- Asia Pacific holds a considerable share of the global market for ice-resistant coatings. The market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is anticipated to expand at a considerable pace during the forecast period. The two regions are likely to create lucrative opportunities for the ice-resistant coatings market from 2019 to 2027.
Key Players Operating in the Market
The global ice-resistant coatings market is dominated by a few large-sized players. However, presence of a large number of small- and medium-sized players makes the market highly competitive. High growth potential of the market is attracting new local as well as international players toward the market. Key players operating in the global ice-resistant coatings market include:
- PPG Industries Inc.
- 3M Company
- NanoSonic Inc.
- Aerospace and Advanced Composites GmbH
- NEI Corporation
- NeverWet LLC.
Global Ice-resistant Coatings Market: Research Scope
Global Ice-resistant Coatings Market, by Substrate
Global Ice-resistant Coatings Market, by Application
- Aerospace & Automotive
- Renewable Energy
- Power Utility & Telecommunication
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.