Hyperphosphatemia is a condition that elevates phosphate levels in the blood. This condition can be caused due to the shift of phosphate from intracellular to extracellular space, excessive phosphate intake, and decrease in excretion of phosphate. High levels of phosphate in the blood can be avoided by dietary restrictions and with the use of phosphate binders. Hyperphosphatemia is a primary cause of morbidity and mortality in patients with chronic kidney disease. Since long back the hyperphosphatemia and increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease/vascular calcification are strongly associated with each other. This, in turn, increases the risk of cardiovascular disease among the patients suffering from hyperphosphatemia.
Major factors driving the market include rise in prevalence of chronic diseases, high unmet medical needs, increase in the number of people undergoing dialysis, large geriatric population, and surge in public awareness worldwide. Diabetes and hypertension are the main causes of renal failure, which leads to hyperphosphatemia. However, stringent regulations by regulatory bodies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), non-adherence to treatment regimens, and rise in side effects of hyperphosphatemia drugs are likely to inhibit the market. According to FDA use of hyperphosphatemia drugs for the treatment of high or low phosphorus levels in the human body is neither safe nor effective. High growth potential in untapped economies, such as India, China, South Africa, and Brazil, is expected to create lucrative opportunities for key players. Rise in geriatric population and increase in cases of osteoporosis in Asia Pacific is anticipated to drive the market. Osteoporosis is often undertreated and underdiagnosed, which is driving the hyperphosphatemia drugs market in Asia Pacific. The available calcium, lanthanum, sevelamer, and iron-based drugs for treating hyperphosphatemia are associated with certain side effects. The long-term use of calcium-based drugs such as calcium carbonate and calcium acetate can cause vascular calcification.
The global hyperphosphatemia drugs market has been segmented based on product, dosage form, distribution channel, and region. In terms of product, the market has been divided into aluminum-based, calcium-based, magnesium-based, iron-based phosphate binders, and other phosphate binders. The calcium-based phosphate binder’s formulation is expected to dominate the hyperphosphatemia drugs market. Calcium-based phosphorus binders have substituted aluminum-based phosphorus binders and can serve as calcium supplements. The calcium-based phosphate binders segment held the largest share of the market in 2017. The iron-based phosphate binders segment is anticipated to expand at a considerable CAGR during the forecast period. The aluminium-based phosphate binders and magnesium-based phosphorus binders are extensively used and are employed to treat hyperphosphatemia in dialysis patients. Based on dosage form, the hyperphosphatemia drugs market has been classified into syrups, tablets, and capsules. In terms of distribution channel, the market has been categorized into specialty pharmacies, hospital pharmacies, home care providers, and others.
Based on geography, the global hyperphosphatemia drugs market has been divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America held the largest share of the hyperphosphatemia drugs market in 2017, due to factors such as increase in aging population, rise in number of osteoporosis cases, and changing dietary habits. Increase in prevalence of osteoporosis is a driving the hyperphosphatemia drugs market in North America. The hyperphosphatemia drugs market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. The hyperphosphatemia drugs market in India and China is anticipated to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. Increase in geriatric population in China and India is projected to drive the hyperphosphatemia drugs market in Asia Pacific. There is an estimation that India’s geriatric population will augment significantly throughout the decades.
Key players operating in the global hyperphosphatemia drugs market include Amag Pharmaceuticals, Johnson And Johnson, Cipla, DSM Sinochem Pharmaceuticals, Keryx Biopharmaceuticals, Pharmacal, Sun Pharm Inc., Zeria Pharmaceutical, Ultragenyx, Bruno Pharmaceutical Spa, Fermenta Biotech Ltd, Pfizer Inc., Roche Diagnostics Corporation, R.H. Moore Drug Co., Vifor Pharma, Sanofi, Shire, and Fresenius Medical Care.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.