- Hydroxycitronellal is a synthetic fragrance that is widely used in many cosmetics and hygiene products such as deodorants, soaps, antiseptics, and other household items. Hydroxycitronellal is a pale yellow liquid with sweet floral aroma. In cosmetics and personal care products, hydroxycitronellal is used in the formulation of colognes, hair sprays, perfumes, and skin care products.
- Hydroxycitronellal is processed from citronellal by reacting citronellal with an alkali metal bisulfite. Rise in population, increase in urbanization, and changing lifestyle of the people have led to an increase in focus of many manufacturers on new product development in the personal care industry. Many manufacturers are coming with new products in the personal care industry to meet the changing demand across the globe. Hydroxycitronellal is available with various types of fragrances such as floral, sweet, fruity, citrus, and musky. Developing countries like India and China have prominent number of youth population in the world. Hence, changes in lifestyle of the population is a factor driving the demand for fragrance-based products.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Hydroxycitronellal Market
- The hydroxycitronellal market has developed significantly of late. This can be primarily ascribed to the increasing performance and recognition of aroma chemicals in various applications globally. Hydroxycitronellal plays an important role in addressing several issues associated with hygiene products. Rise in usage of hydroxycitronellal in the manufacture of perfumes, toiletries, food scents, and medical components is expected to propel the hydroxycitronellal market during the forecast period. Hydroxycitronellal is an aroma chemical that is primarily used as chemical additive for obtaining fragrance in final products. Rise in usage of cosmetics and personal care products is expected to drive the demand for hydroxycitronellal in the near future.
- Increase in demand for flavors in foods & beverages due to changes in culinary style is expected to create significant opportunities for flavor additives. Hydroxycitronellal is used as a flavoring agent in food and beverages. This is anticipated to drive the hydroxycitronellal market at a significant pace during the forecast period.
Hydroxycitronellal: Product Type Segment
- In terms of product type, the global hydroxycitronellal market can be segmented into food grade and industrial grade
- The food grade segment is expected to account for a significant share of the global hydroxycitronellal market during the forecast period
Hydroxycitronellal: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global hydroxycitronellal market can be divided into personal care, cosmetics, food & beverages, and others
- The personal care segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. It is projected to be followed by the cosmetics segment.
- The food & beverages segment is likely to expand at a healthy CAGR during the forecast period, owing to the increase in usage of flavors in the food industry
COVID-19 Impact on Hydroxycitronellal Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe has come to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the hydroxycitronellal market in the near future.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Hydroxycitronellal Market
- In terms of region, the global hydroxycitronellal market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the hydroxycitronellal market in 2020. This trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the higher production and consumption of hydroxycitronellal in emerging countries such as China and India. However, the hydroxycitronellal market in North America is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to the increase in demand for beverages in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Hydroxycitronellal Market
The global hydroxycitronellal market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global hydroxycitronellal market include:
- BASF SE
- Zhejiang NHU
- Miltitz Aromatics
- Muby Chemicals
- Shanghai Tovan Biochem
- Hangzhou Hairui Chem
Global Hydroxycitronellal Market: Research Scope
Global Hydroxycitronellal Market, by Product Type
- Food Grade
- Industrial Grade
Global Hydroxycitronellal Market, by Application
- Personal Care
- Food & Beverages
Global Hydroxycitronellal Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!