Hydrotreating Catalyst Market: Introduction
- Hydrotreating is considered a primary process in refineries, which is employed to remove sulfur and nitrogen contaminants from diesel, gasoline, and jet fuel
- Hydrotreating catalysts are produced by coating alumina extradites with potentially active metals such as cobalt, nickel, molybdenum, and/or tungsten
- In the hydrotreating process, hydrogen is mixed with sour hydrocarbon fed inside a reactor, which is filled with cobalt–molybdenum or nickel–molybdenum catalysts. In their active form, cobalt–molybdenum or nickel–molybdenum catalyze the reactions to transform sulfur and nitrogen contaminants into hydrogen sulfide and ammonia. These compounds can be easily removed from the hydrogen off-gas stream in subsequent processing steps. The hydrocarbon product leaving the reactor is an extremely clean motor fuel.
- Hydrotreating catalysts are hygroscopic and they can easily absorb 2%–4% of water on exposure to humid air during the loading process
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Key Drivers of Global Hydrotreating Catalyst Market
- Leading players operating in the global oil & gas refinery industry are striving to meet norms regarding clean energy, while ensuring cost-efficient processes. Hydrotreating catalysts enable refineries to meet product specifications at a low cost.
- Government regulations in developing countries to reduce the amount of sulfur oxide emissions from burning of crude oil can also be considered one of the major factors driving the hydrotreating catalyst market in these countries, for example, the new IMO (International Maritime Organization) 2020 Low Sulfur Regulation would be coming into effect from January 1, 2020. As per this regulation, all sea-going vessels worldwide would need to reduce the level of their sulfur emissions by 85%. In order to comply with the regulation, sulfur content in fuel oil should be reduced from 3.50% to 0.50%. In addition to this, the 0.10% sulfur limit is already effective in the Emission Control Areas (ECAs).
- The transportation sector in developing countries such as India and China has witnessed immense growth over the last few years. Increase in the demand for and prices of crude oil are likely to drive the market for hydrotreating catalysts in these countries during the forecast period.
- Moreover, increasing investments in oil refineries have benefited the global market for hydrotreating catalysts. For example, ExxonMobil Corporation has added a third crude unit to its refinery located in Beaumont, Texas (the U.S.) to increase its crude oil refining capacity by 250,000 thousand barrels per day.
Restraints of Global Hydrotreating Catalyst Market
- Global production of transport biofuel rose by over 7% year-on-year in 2018, with 3% of increase in the annual production anticipated in the next few years. Thus, the shift toward biofuel is likely to drive the global hydrotreating catalyst market during the forecast period.
- Moreover, ongoing shift toward electric vehicles led by concerns about environment protection is estimated to hamper sales of vehicles powered by conventional fuels in developed countries in the near future, wherein hydrotreating catalysts are used as fuel enhancers. This is another major factor likely to hinder the global market for hydrotreating catalysts from 2019 to 2027.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
- In January 2018, Honeywell announced that UkrGasVydobuvannya (UGV), a Ukraine-based gas producer, had started making use of Honeywell UOP's hydrotreating catalyst called HYT- 4118 Unity for production of ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel at the Shebelinsky refinery in Andreyevka, which is located in the eastern part of Ukraine.
- In November 2018, Albemarle, a leading player in the global specialty chemicals industry, announced that it was set to launch XPLORE, a new platform for the clean transportation fuels industry. The XPLORE catalyst platform was developed by breakthrough research in the hydrotreating catalyst technology, which would allow refineries to produce clean transportation fuels more efficiently in the near future.
Middle East & Africa to Hold a Major Share of Global Hydrotreating Catalyst Market
- Based on region, the global hydrotreating catalyst market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Middle East & Africa is likely to dominate the global hydrotreating catalyst market between 2019 and 2027, as the refining capacity of the region increased from nearly 9,284 thousand barrels of oil per day (mbd) in 2013 to 10,646 mbd in 2018 at an average annual growth rate (AAGR) of nearly 2.7%, according to a report published by Global Data.
- Saudi Arabia, Iran, UAE, Iraq, and Turkey were major countries, accounting for more than 76% of the total refining capacity of the region in 2018
Key Players Operating in Global Hydrotreating Catalyst Market
Some of the key players operating in the global hydrotreating catalyst market are:
- Haldor Topsoe A/S
- Axens S.A.
- Johnson Matthey PLC
- Albemarle Corp.
- Grace Davison
- Honeywell International Inc.
- W.R Grace
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
Global Hydrotreating Catalyst Market, by Load Type
- Load Type
- Non-load Type
Global Hydrotreating Catalyst Market, by Application
- Diesel Hydrotreat
- Lube Oil
Global Hydrotreating Catalyst Market, by Material
- Chemical Compounds
Global Hydrotreating Catalyst Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
With a robust experience in creating exceptional market reports, Transparency Market Research has emerged as one of the trusted market research companies among a large number of stakeholders and CXOs. Every report at Transparency Market Research goes through rigorous research activity in every aspect. The researchers at TMR keep a close watch on the market and extract beneficial growth-boosting points. These points help the stakeholders to strategize their business plans accordingly.
TMR researchers conduct exhaustive qualitative and quantitative research. This research involves taking inputs from the experts in the market, focused attention on recent developments, and others. This method of research makes TMR stand out from other market research firms.
Here's how Transparency Market Research helps the stakeholders and CXOs through the reports:
Inculcation and Evaluation of Strategic Collaborations: The TMR researchers analyze recent strategic activities like mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, collaborations, and joint ventures. All the information is compiled and included in the report.
Perfect Market Size Estimations: The report analyzes the demographics, growth potential, and capability of the market through the forecast period. This factor leads to the estimation of the market size and also provides an outline about how the market will retrieve growth during the assessment period.
Investment Research: The report focuses on the ongoing and upcoming investment opportunities across a particular market. These developments make the stakeholders aware of the current investment scenario across the market.
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.