Hydrothermal Treatment Market: Introduction
- Hydrothermal processing is a method in thermochemical processing of waste. This processing is carried out in high-temperature media so as to upgrade the waste in a short time given. This method of waste treatment is a progressive method used for conversion of biomass and municipal solid waste (MSW) into clean energy resources. It can enhance the drying and dehydration performance of biomass with high content of moisture and improve quality of the fuel produced from MSW.
- Hydrothermal treatment involves heating of raw slurry at high temperatures ranging from 300°C to 350°C under pressure to maintain water phase
- Hydrothermal treatment is considered a thermochemical conversion technology and it is usually carried out for upgrading waste materials and for recycling residual solid fuel before municipal solid waste is sent to landfills
- Hydrothermal treatment is usually carried out for fuel recovery and to make use of municipal solid waste
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Key Drivers of Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market
- According to estimates made by the World Bank, the global waste generation is projected to nearly double, in terms of volume, by 2025 to reach 6 million tons of waste per day. Several countries are opting for alternative sources of energy due to restricted landfilling, environment-related issues, and high volatility in fuel prices. This, in turn, is projected to drive the hydrothermal treatment market during the forecast period.
- Municipal solid waste is one of the byproducts of human activity. Increasing population and urbanization is resulting in rapid increase in the volume as well as complexity of MSW that requires to be managed. The total amount of municipal solid waste generated worldwide is about 1.3 billion tons per year, which is expected to increase to approximately 2.2 billion tons per year by 2025.
- Implementation of strict environmental regulations by municipal councils of various cities across the world is one of the major factors boosting the recycling of municipal solid waste products. This, in turn, would increase the use of hydrothermal treatment for energy recovery from solid waste in the near future.
Restraint of Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market
- Hydrothermal treatment is an energy-intensive technology. This can prove to be a restraint of the global market, especially in view of rising energy prices across the globe.
- In July 2019, Comfort Health Direction, Aero-Contaminants, and Biological Agents Division, France) published a research paper on the development of hydrothermal process for the treatment of crocidolite asbestos waste in collaboration with Aix-Marseille University, CNRS, and Centrale Marseille, France.
- In January 2019, MIT and FERROVIAL S.A. signed an agreement for a new research project titled ‘Utilization of Sewage Sludge to Design, Produce, and Characterize Carbon-based Materials through Hydrothermal Processing and Computational Modeling.’ The project would be accomplished in 18 months, wherein researchers would jointly study the potential of applying the process of hydrothermal carbonization (HTC) of sewage sludge to valorize it and extract precious byproducts, such as asphalt or bitumen and active carbon or bio-cru, from it.
- In June 2018, Genifuel Corporation, a U.S.-based water technology firm specialized in turning wet organic wastes into renewable fuels, launched a new pilot system that can convert wastewater biomass into manmade oil and natural gas at the BlueTech Forum in Vancouver, Canada. The system was developed by the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, a part of the U.S. Department of Energy.
- In February 2017, the U.S. Department of Energy (DoE) selected the pilot project for hydrothermal wastewater processing by Southern California Gas (SoCalGas) for federal funding of up to US$ 1.2 Mn. The pilot project would convert wastewater solids into renewable natural gas and liquid fuels with the help of hydrothermal processing.
- In December 2016, TerraNova Energy GmbH opened the first commercial TerraNova Ultra plant in China. With this, the China-based waste disposal company initiated a large-scale, innovative platform.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
North America to hold a Major Share of Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market
- Based on region, the global hydrothermal treatment market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe and North America are the major regions of the global hydrothermal treatment market, due to rapid growth in construction and increase in urbanization in these regions
- In Europe, the Urban Solid Waste Treatment Directive encourages countries in the region to increase the usage of solid waste treatment facilities. This, in turn, would provide ample opportunities to the hydrothermal treatment market in the region during the forecast period.
- Countries in Asia Pacific such as China, India, and Japan are rapidly emerging markets for municipal solid waste incineration. Rise in industrialization, decline in availability of clean water, and increase in the production of waste by industries such as textile and pulp & paper are key factors driving the hydrothermal treatment market in the region.
Key Players Operating in Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market
Some of the major key players operating in the global hydrothermal treatment market are:
- TerraNova Energy GmbH
- Seche Environnement
- Shinko Technos Co., Ltd.
- KANKYO GROUP OF COMPANIES
- Genifuel Corporation
Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market, Research Scope
Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market, by Type
- Hydrothermal Liquefaction (HTL)
- Hydrothermal Carbonization (HTC)
- Hydrothermal Gasification (HTG)
- Wet Air Oxidation (WAO)
- Hydrothermal Refining (HTR)
Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market, by Product
- Solid Fuel
- Liquid Fertilizer
- Livestock Feed
Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.