Hydrothermal Treatment Market: Introduction
- Hydrothermal processing is a method in thermochemical processing of waste. This processing is carried out in high-temperature media so as to upgrade the waste in a short time given. This method of waste treatment is a progressive method used for conversion of biomass and municipal solid waste (MSW) into clean energy resources. It can enhance the drying and dehydration performance of biomass with high content of moisture and improve quality of the fuel produced from MSW.
- Hydrothermal treatment involves heating of raw slurry at high temperatures ranging from 300°C to 350°C under pressure to maintain water phase
- Hydrothermal treatment is considered a thermochemical conversion technology and it is usually carried out for upgrading waste materials and for recycling residual solid fuel before municipal solid waste is sent to landfills
- Hydrothermal treatment is usually carried out for fuel recovery and to make use of municipal solid waste
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of this report
Key Drivers of Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market
- According to estimates made by the World Bank, the global waste generation is projected to nearly double, in terms of volume, by 2025 to reach 6 million tons of waste per day. Several countries are opting for alternative sources of energy due to restricted landfilling, environment-related issues, and high volatility in fuel prices. This, in turn, is projected to drive the hydrothermal treatment market during the forecast period.
- Municipal solid waste is one of the byproducts of human activity. Increasing population and urbanization is resulting in rapid increase in the volume as well as complexity of MSW that requires to be managed. The total amount of municipal solid waste generated worldwide is about 1.3 billion tons per year, which is expected to increase to approximately 2.2 billion tons per year by 2025.
- Implementation of strict environmental regulations by municipal councils of various cities across the world is one of the major factors boosting the recycling of municipal solid waste products. This, in turn, would increase the use of hydrothermal treatment for energy recovery from solid waste in the near future.
Restraint of Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market
- Hydrothermal treatment is an energy-intensive technology. This can prove to be a restraint of the global market, especially in view of rising energy prices across the globe.
- In July 2019, Comfort Health Direction, Aero-Contaminants, and Biological Agents Division, France) published a research paper on the development of hydrothermal process for the treatment of crocidolite asbestos waste in collaboration with Aix-Marseille University, CNRS, and Centrale Marseille, France.
- In January 2019, MIT and FERROVIAL S.A. signed an agreement for a new research project titled ‘Utilization of Sewage Sludge to Design, Produce, and Characterize Carbon-based Materials through Hydrothermal Processing and Computational Modeling.’ The project would be accomplished in 18 months, wherein researchers would jointly study the potential of applying the process of hydrothermal carbonization (HTC) of sewage sludge to valorize it and extract precious byproducts, such as asphalt or bitumen and active carbon or bio-cru, from it.
- In June 2018, Genifuel Corporation, a U.S.-based water technology firm specialized in turning wet organic wastes into renewable fuels, launched a new pilot system that can convert wastewater biomass into manmade oil and natural gas at the BlueTech Forum in Vancouver, Canada. The system was developed by the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, a part of the U.S. Department of Energy.
- In February 2017, the U.S. Department of Energy (DoE) selected the pilot project for hydrothermal wastewater processing by Southern California Gas (SoCalGas) for federal funding of up to US$ 1.2 Mn. The pilot project would convert wastewater solids into renewable natural gas and liquid fuels with the help of hydrothermal processing.
- In December 2016, TerraNova Energy GmbH opened the first commercial TerraNova Ultra plant in China. With this, the China-based waste disposal company initiated a large-scale, innovative platform.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
North America to hold a Major Share of Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market
- Based on region, the global hydrothermal treatment market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe and North America are the major regions of the global hydrothermal treatment market, due to rapid growth in construction and increase in urbanization in these regions
- In Europe, the Urban Solid Waste Treatment Directive encourages countries in the region to increase the usage of solid waste treatment facilities. This, in turn, would provide ample opportunities to the hydrothermal treatment market in the region during the forecast period.
- Countries in Asia Pacific such as China, India, and Japan are rapidly emerging markets for municipal solid waste incineration. Rise in industrialization, decline in availability of clean water, and increase in the production of waste by industries such as textile and pulp & paper are key factors driving the hydrothermal treatment market in the region.
Key Players Operating in Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market
Some of the major key players operating in the global hydrothermal treatment market are:
- TerraNova Energy GmbH
- Seche Environnement
- Shinko Technos Co., Ltd.
- KANKYO GROUP OF COMPANIES
- Genifuel Corporation
Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market, Research Scope
Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market, by Type
- Hydrothermal Liquefaction (HTL)
- Hydrothermal Carbonization (HTC)
- Hydrothermal Gasification (HTG)
- Wet Air Oxidation (WAO)
- Hydrothermal Refining (HTR)
Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market, by Product
- Solid Fuel
- Liquid Fertilizer
- Livestock Feed
Global Hydrothermal Treatment Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.