Hydrodesulfurization Catalysts Market: Introduction
- Hydrodesulfurization is a chemical process that is used in the oil refining industry. It is widely used to remove sulfur compounds from refined petroleum products such as diesel fuel, jet fuels, gasoline or petrol, and fuel oils.
- Removal of sulfur helps reduce the hazardous sulfur dioxide emissions resulting from using those fuels in oil burning power plants, automotive vehicles, railroad locomotives, aircraft, ships, residential and industrial furnaces, and other forms of fuel combustion
- Catalysts used for this process are hydrodesulfurization catalysts. Ruthenium disulfide (RuS2) appears to be the single most active catalyst, but binary combinations of cobalt and molybdenum are also highly active. In practice, most HDS units in petroleum refineries use catalysts based on cobalt-modified molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) together with smaller amounts of other metals.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Hydrodesulfurization Catalysts Market
- Crude oil is base for many products such as gasoline and jet fuels. It contains a complex mixture of sulfur compounds such as sulfides and disulfides. Hydrodesulfurization process removes the sulfur and hydrogen sulfide (H2S) gas formed after the reaction of sulfur gases with the help of hydrodesulfurization catalysts. Increase in manufacture of these crude oil-based products is boosting the hydrodesulfurization catalysts market.
- Global refiners are expected to maximize their capabilities to produce low-sulfur fuel oil. This, in turn, is driving the hydrodesulfurization catalysts market.
- Increase in regulations concerning environmental pollution and adoption of cleaner fuels with less emission are expected to drive the demand for hydrodesulfurization catalysts
- Rise in global demand for transportation fuels is anticipated to be a primary driver of the global hydrodesulfurization catalysts market
- High production cost of sulfur-free fuels vis-à-vis conventional fuels is estimated to hamper the hydrodesulfurization catalysts market
COVID-19 Impact on Hydrodesulfurization Catalysts Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively impacted the demand and supply chains worldwide. Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This has hampered the hydrodesulfurization catalysts market.
- The pandemic has severely affected the oil & gas sector, where hydrodesulfurization catalysts are extensively used. Decrease in demand for refined products, varying crude oil prices, and failed agreements regarding production have adversely affected the hydrodesulfurization catalysts market.
North America Holds Leading Share of Hydrodesulfurization Catalysts Market
- In terms of region, the hydrodesulfurization catalysts market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America accounted for major share of the global hydrodesulfurization catalysts market in 2020. It was followed by Asia Pacific and Europe.
Hydrodesulfurization Catalysts Market Segmentation, by Type
- Based on type, the global hydrodesulfurization catalysts market can be divided into cobalt- molybdenum hydrodesulfurization catalysts and nickel-based hydrodesulfurization catalysts
- The cobalt-molybdenum segment holds major share of the global market in terms of revenue. Cobalt-molybdenum based hydrodesulfurization catalysts are recognized as excellent catalysts for sulfur removal from naphtha, diesel, and natural gas. They possess various properties such as high-octane occupancy, high activity, and fuel impregnation.
- Demand for nickel-based catalysts is expected to be high in the near future due to their properties such as thermal stability, high activity, increased pore space, and improved hydro refining. Thus, they are suitable for removal of sulfur content from crude oil & its distillates.
Hydrodesulfurization Catalysts Market Segmentation, by Application
- Based on the application, the diesel segment was the key segment of the global market in terms of revenue in 2020
- Diesel is manufactured by hydrodesulfurization process to remove the sulfur present in it. The use of sulfur-free diesel has become a trend across the globe. Demand for hydrodesulfurization catalysts is increasing due to the rise in regulations on sulfur emissions from the combustion of diesel fuel.
- Oxygen, nitrogen, sulfur, and several other impurities in naphtha are observed to be poisonous for platinum catalyst activities. Therefore, the removal of these impurities is a key concern for manufacturers. This is driving the demand for hydrodesulfurization catalysts.
- The excess sulfur present in the natural gas is eliminated with the help of hydrodesulfurization catalysts
- Hydrodesulfurization catalysts are also used to remove the excess sulfur from marine fuels, jet fuels, etc.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Hydrodesulfurization Catalysts Market
The hydrodesulfurization catalysts market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the hydrodesulfurization catalysts market include:
- Axens SA
- Advanced Refining Technologies LLC
- Albemarle Corporation
- BASF SE
- China Petroleum and Chemical Corporation
- Sinopec Corp.
- Haldor Topsoe
- JGC Catalysts & Chemicals Ltd.
- Clariant AG
- Dorf Ketal Specialty Catalysts LLC
- Johnson Matthey PLC
- UNICAT Catalyst Technologies, LLC (US)
- Honeywell International Inc
Global Hydrodesulfurization Catalysts Market: Research Scope
Global Hydrodesulfurization Catalysts Market, by Type
Global Hydrodesulfurization Catalysts Market, by Application
- Natural Gas
Global Hydrodesulfurization Catalysts Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.