Hybrid Composites: Introduction
- Hybrid composites are composite materials made from a combination of two or more types of reinforcing fibers. Glass-carbon epoxy and carbon-aramid epoxy are the two commonly used types of hybrid composites.
- Hybrid composites possess high strength and impact resistance. They have longitudinal as well as lateral mechanical strength. Hybrid composites are used in applications where a combination of properties offered by different reinforcing fibers is required. Five types of hybrid composites are available in the market: averaged, interlaminar, intralaminar, separate reinforcing elements, and super hybrids.
- Fiber fillers are used to enhance impact strength, compression strength, moisture resistance, and fatigue strength of components made from plastics. They also help reduce the price of the structure without compromising upon its strength and quality.
Hybrid Composites Market: Segments
- The global hybrid composites market can be segmented based on fiber type, resin, end-use industry, and region
- In terms of fiber type, the market can be classified into carbon/glass, carbon/aramid, metal/plastic, wood/plastic, HMPP/carbon, UHMWPE/carbon, and others. Carbon/glass is estimated to be the dominant segment of the market during the forecast period.
- In terms of resin, the hybrid composites market can be bifurcated into thermoset and thermoplastic. The thermoplastics segment is anticipated to dominate the market during the forecast period.
- Based on end-use industry, the market can be divided into automotive & transportation, aerospace & defense, building & construction, wind energy, marine, sporting goods, and others. Building & construction and wind energy are anticipated to be the rapidly growing segments of the global hybrid composites market during the forecast period.
COVID-19 Impact on Hybrid Composites Market
- Emergence of the new COVID strain in many developed and developing countries has adversely affected the health care infrastructure. Hospital staff, medicines, oxygen beds, and ventilators are in short supply. Supply chains are facing disruptions, leading to disturbances in production activities in many countries. This is adversely affecting the global hybrid composites market.
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Hybrid Composites Market
- In terms of geography, the global hybrid composites market can be segmented into North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is the major region of the global hybrid composites market. The hybrid composites market in the region is expected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to a growth of end-user industries that utilize hybrid composites. India, China, and South Korea are estimated to propel the demand for hybrid composites in the region.
- North America is also a key consumer of hybrid composites in the world. Europe is also a significant consumer of hybrid composites.
- Latin America and Middle East & Africa offer lucrative opportunities for the hybrid composites market. The hybrid composites market in Middle East & Africa is majorly driven by the expansion of oil & gas and downstream processing industries in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Hybrid Composites Market
- The global hybrid composites market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global hybrid composites market include:
- Royal DSM
- SGL Group – The Carbon Company
- Hexcel Corporation
- TEIJIN LIMITED
- Solvay SA
- PlastiComp, Inc
- Innegra Technologies LLC
- Quantum Composites
Global Hybrid Composites Market: Research Scope
Global Hybrid Composites Market, by Fiber Type
Global Hybrid Composites Market, by Resin
Global Hybrid Composites Market, by End-use Industry
- Automotive & Transportation
- Aerospace & Defense
- Building & Construction
- Wind Energy
- Sporting Goods
Global Hybrid Composites Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa