High Purity Base Metals: Introduction
- Base metals such as aluminum, zinc, copper, and lead are processed to obtain their purest form by removal of impurities or any other metal. Purity levels of base metals are available in different grades such as 99.99%. Metals have to undergo several processing steps to achieve high level of purity. For instance, high purity aluminum is achieved through three-layer electrolysis or combining fractional distillation and three-layer electrolysis. Under electrolysis, aluminum ions are reduced in an electrolytic cell that contains three separate liquid layers. Under distillation, aluminum is refined by leveraging solubility differences.
- High purity aluminum is popular in the electronics segment where it is used in television, computer, and other display materials. Pure lead is alloyed with other elements for various commercial applications such as extruded products including rods, wire, traps, ribbon, and pipes. It is also used in rolled products, such as thin foils, which are further employed in vital applications including corrosion-resistant equipment for the chemical industry, waterproof membranes, roofing, and x-ray and gamma-ray shielding.
- The usage of copper in electric vehicles is more than double its usage in gasoline-powered cars. According to the International Copper Association, more than 40,000 charging ports would be needed over the next decade due to the rise in demand for electric vehicles. This is expected to require around 100 kilo tons of copper by 2030. Zinc is largely used in galvanizing alloys. Galvanization is important in construction and transportation industries in order to achieve durability, protection, and low cost for structures and vehicles. Development of steel structures in the long term is anticipated to augment the demand for high purity base metals.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global High Purity Base Metals Market
- Growth in various end-use industries such as automotive, aerospace, marine, electrical & electronics, building & construction, and consumer goods is estimated to drive the global high purity base metals market in the near future. Increase in technological development, better research aspects, and rise in application of high purity base metals are projected to fuel the market during the forecast period.
- The ongoing trade wars and demand-supply gap are estimated to hamper the global high purity base metals market during the forecast period
High Purity Base Metals: End-use Segment
- In terms of end-use, the global high purity base metals market can be segmented into transportation, electrical & electronics, building & construction, consumer goods, chemical, and others
- The transportation segment is anticipated to hold significant share during the forecast period. All major base metals in their pure state are largely used in the automotive industry. Lead is a key raw material for batteries, which are primarily used in automotive, industrial, consumer goods, and electronics industries.
Covid-19 Impact on High Purity Base Metals Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world. Supply of raw materials used to produce high purity base metals has been hampered due to the industrial shutdown triggered by the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials and shortage of labor. This is expected to hamper the high purity base metals market in the near future.
Asia Pacific to Dominate High Purity Base Metals Market
- In terms of region, the global high purity base metals market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global market in 2019. The large share of the region can be primarily ascribed to China, which is the major consumer of base metals in the world. Growth of end-use industries in India is driving the market in Asia Pacific. Initiatives by the Government of India to promote manufacturing are expected to augment the production of high purity base metals in the country.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global High Purity Base Metals Market
The global high purity base metals market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global high purity base metals market include:
- Aluminum Corporation of China Limited
- Boliden Group
- Hindalco Industries
- KGHM Polska Mied? S.A
- Norsk Hydro ASA
- Rio Tinto
- Sumitomo Chemical
Global High Purity Base Metals Market: Research Scope
Global High Purity Base Metals Market, by Product Type
Global High Purity Base Metals Market, by End-use
- Building & Construction
- Industrial Machinery & Equipment
- Consumer & General Products
- Electrical & Electronics
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.