High-purity Alumina (For Lithium-ion Batteries) Market
High-purity Alumina (For Lithium-ion Batteries) Market (Grade - 4N, 5N, 6N; End use - Electronics (Laptops/Tablets, Mobile Phones, UPS), Automotive (Electric Vehicles, Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles) – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2019 - 2027
Press Release :
High-purity Alumina (HPA) for Lithium-ion Batteries Market Description
High-purity aluminum oxide is often termed as High-purity alumina. It is a white, granular, chemical produced commercially either by treating aluminum with specific chemicals or by the use of other aluminous feed stock. Some of the commonly used processes for high-purity alumina production include alkoxide process, thermal decomposition process, choline hydrolysis process, and modified Bayer process. 4N, 5N, and 6N grades of high-purity alumina are extensively used for lithium-ion batteries.
High-purity alumina is used as a coating on lithium-ion battery separators. Lithium-ion batteries with high-purity alumina coated separator are extensively used in mobile electronic devices such as smartphones, laptops, smart wearable devices, media players, and smart speakers. Lithium-ion batteries are a preferred source of power for mobile devices due to their compact size and high stability. Increasing requirement for these batteries in developing economies is anticipated to drive demand for high-purity alumina for lithium-ion batteries in the near future.
Rising Demand for High-purity Alumina in Lithium-ion Batteries Separator Coatings to Fuel Market
- A lithium-ion battery is composed of a positive electrode, negative electrode, electrolyte, and battery separator. The quality of the battery separator determines the battery’s safety and service life, as it accounts for 40% of the total cost of battery production.
- High-purity alumina is used as a coating on the separator sheet. This plays an important role in increasing the separator’s life cycle, as it provides certain benefits such as high thermal stability, chemical stability, long life cycle, and high heat shrink ability.
- High-purity alumina-coated lithium-ion batteries are much safer than traditional batteries as they can withstand high temperature incursions and are less flammable during thermal runaways. Additionally, high-purity alumina coated lithium-ion batteries possess low self-discharge rate, high battery discharge rate, and high life cycle.
- These benefits of high-purity alumina make it a favorable choice of material for battery separator coatings and are anticipated to drive the high-purity alumina market for lithium-ion batteries. Demand for lithium-ion batteries is rising in various short duration applications such as peak load management, renewable integration, as it improves performance of lithium-ion batteries.
Leading Players Focusing on Geographical Expansion
- Key players profiled in the high-purity alumina market for lithium-ion batteries include Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd., Sasol Ltd., Nippon Light Metal Co. Ltd., Baikowski SAS, Altech Chemicals Ltd., Polar Sapphire Ltd., Orbite Technologies Inc. Hebei Heng Bo new material Polytron Technologies Inc., Zibo Honghe Chemical Co. Ltd., HMR Co. Ltd., Oxide India Pvt Ltd., and Xuan Cheng Jing Rui New Material Co., Ltd.
- These players engage in capacity expansions, mergers & acquisitions, geographical expansion, and launch of new products. In February 2018, Sasol Limited expanded its alumina capacity at its Brunsbuettel site in Germany by approximately 15,000 tons per annum.
4N Segment to Dominate High-purity Alumina Market for Lithium-ion Batteries
- In terms of grade, the 4N segment constituted a major share of the global high-purity alumina for lithium-ion batteries market in 2018.
- High-purity alumina 4N grade has impurity level of 0.01% and purity level of 99.99%. It is commonly used in LEDs, energy storage capacitors, lithium-ion batteries, and decorative and bright-finish applications.
- The 4N segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace due to high demand for mobile electronic devices across developing economies.
Demand for High-purity Alumina for Lithium-ion Batteries to Increase in Automotive End-use
- In terms of end-use, the automotive segment is projected to account for a significant share of the global high-purity alumina market for lithium-ion batteries by 2018. The segment is likely to expand at significant growth rate from 2019 to 2027.
- The electronics segment accounted for a dominant share of the high-purity alumina market for lithium-ion batteries in 2018. The mobile phones sub-segment of the electronics end-use segment accounted for the major share of the market.
- Demand for high-purity alumina for coating lithium-ion battery separator is expected to rise significantly during the forecast period due to increasing demand for electric vehicles which employ high performance lithium-ion batteries possessing certain characteristics such as long life cycle and high level of heat resistance.
- High demand for electric vehicles in countries such as China, the U.S., and South Korea is anticipated to drive the high-purity alumina market for lithium-ion batteries.
Emerging Economies Dominate High-purity Alumina Market for Lithium-ion Batteries
- In terms of revenue, Asia Pacific leads the high-purity alumina market for lithium-ion batteries owing to the rise in investment in the automotive industry, which can be attributed to the rise in industrialization and urbanization in emerging economies such as China, India, and Japan.
- Increase in government investment to reduce carbon footprints of their respective countries is augmenting the demand for high-purity alumina for lithium-ion batteries in these countries.
- Asia Pacific is a prominent region of the market owing to the presence of a well-established industrial base, which requires investment.
High-purity Alumina Market for Lithium-ion Batteries – Overview
The report analyzes and forecasts the High-purity Alumina market for lithium-ion batteries at global and regional levels. The market has been forecast based on volume (Kilograms) and value (US$ Mn) from 2019 to 2027. The study includes drivers and restraints of the global market. It covers the impact of these drivers and restraints on the demand for High-purity Alumina for lithium-ion batteries during the forecast period. The report also highlights opportunities in the High-purity Alumina market for lithium-ion batteries at the global level.
The report comprises a detailed value chain analysis, which provides a comprehensive view of the global High-purity Alumina market for lithium-ion batteries. Porter’s Five Forces model has also been included to help understand the competitive landscape of the market. The study encompasses market attractiveness analysis, wherein various end-uses of High-purity Alumina market for lithium-ion batteries have been benchmarked based on their market size, growth rate, and general attractiveness.
The section covers detailed competitive matrix, company market share, and company profiles of the Key players operating in the High-purity Alumina market for lithium-ion batteries. These players include: Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd., Sasol Ltd., Nippon Light Metal Co. Ltd., Baikowski SAS, Altech Chemicals Ltd., and Polar Sapphire Ltd., Orbite Technologies Inc. Hebei Heng Bo new material Polytron Technologies Inc., Zibo Honghe Chemical Co. Ltd., HMR Co. Ltd., Oxide India Pvt Ltd., and Xuan Cheng Jing Rui New Material Co., Ltd. These companies have been profiled in terms of attributes such as company overview, financial overview, business strategies, and recent developments. The key active players in the market are engaged in expansion, merger & acquisition, and contract in order maintain their market share in the high purity alumina for lithium-ion batteries. For instance, In February 2018, Sasol Limited expanded its alumina capacity at its Brunsbuettel site in Germany. The expansion expected to increase Sasol Limited's alumina hydrate production capacity in Brunsbuettel by approximately 15,000 tons per annum, enabling the company to cater to the rising demand for its alumina products.
In-depth interviews and discussions were conducted with several key market participants and opinion leaders to compile the research report. Primary research represents a bulk of research efforts, supplemented by extensive secondary research. Annual reports, press releases, and relevant documents of key players operating in various application areas have been reviewed for competition analysis and market understanding. Secondary research also includes recent trends, technical writing, Internet sources, and statistical data from government websites, trade associations, and agencies. These have proved to be reliable, effective, and successful approaches for obtaining precise market data, capturing market participants’ insights, and recognizing business opportunities.?
- Extensive analysis of the High-purity Alumina market for lithium-ion batteries trends and shares from 2018 to 2027 to identify growth opportunities and analyze market developments
- List of key developments made by major players in the High-purity Alumina market for lithium-ion batteries
- List of key factors that are useful for building a roadmap of upcoming growth opportunities for the High-purity Alumina market for lithium-ion batteries at global, regional, and country levels
- Insights into growth opportunities for various stakeholders in the value chain and a detailed competition landscape of major players to help understand the market competition level
- Porter’s Five Forces analysis that highlights the potency of buyers and suppliers and enables stakeholders to make profit-oriented business decisions
The study provides a decisive view of the global High-purity Alumina market for lithium-ion batteries by segmenting it in terms of grades and end-use. These segments have been analyzed based on present and future trends. The regional segmentation includes the current and projected demand for High-purity Alumina for lithium-ion batteries in North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. The report also covers the demand for High-purity Alumina for lithium ion batteries in individual grade and end-use segments across all regions.