Heavy Alkyl Benzenes Market: Introduction
- Heavy alkyl benzene is a byproduct formed during the production of linear alkyl benzene. Generally, production of heavy alkyl benzene ranges between 5% and 10%.
- Heavy alkyl benzenes are used as heat transfer oils, greases, textile auxiliaries, electrical oils, plasticizers, and specialty oils. Heavy alkyl benzene is also used as an additive in the formulation of gasoline and diesel engine oils.
- Heavy alkyl benzenes are also used as lubricants for refrigeration oils, transformer oils, metalwork fluids, etc.
- Lubrication is required to avoid wear and tear and smooth running of equipment. In metalworking applications, lubricants must have properties such as high thermal stability and corrosion resistance. Heavy alkyl benzene could be an ideal solution in metalworking applications.
Need of Reliable, Stable, and Versatile Solution
- Demand for lubricants is expected to rise during the forecast period, led by the rapid growth in the automotive sector
- As per international standards, lubricants such as oil and greases used in industries need to have superior oxidation and thermal stability. Heavy alkyl benzene has these qualities. Hence, it is utilized in the refrigerating machine oil, electrical insulation oil, and heat transfer oil.
- Heavy alkyl benzenes have high shelf life, and are stable under different climatic conditions. Due to above mention qualities heavy alkyl benzenes are being used as soluble in cutting oils, rust preventives, leather chemicals, fat liquor, metal treatment chemicals, textile auxiliaries, ore flotation chemicals, inks etc.
- Heavy alkyl benzene is an excellent corrosion or rust inhibitor. It is typically used for manufacture of greases. Heavy alkyl benzene is used in metalworking fluids as rust preventives, as it gives better protective coating and high resistance to humidity as well as high resistance salt water spray. Heavy alkyl benzene based metalworking soluble oil has been developed as an alternative to mineral lube oil due to its superior performance and cost-effectiveness. This is expected to drive the heavy alkyl benzenes market in the near future.
- Mineral oils and petroleum based soluble oils have disadvantages such as higher toxicity to the environment, poor biodegradability and ever-changing characteristics with changes in crude oil composition. Heavy alkyl benzene provides environment friendly solution which can major drivers for the market.
- Based on geopolitical factors, prices of crude oil are volatile. As a result, prices of petrochemical products are also volatile. Heavy alkyl benzenes are derived from petrochemical products; therefore, volatility in prices of crude oil is a major factor restraining the market.
The Heavy Alkyl Benzenes Market Segmentation
- The global heavy alkyl benzenes market can be segmented based on application, end-use, and region
- In terms of application, the heavy alkyl benzenes market can be divided into dialkylbenzene, diphenylalkane, and polyalkylbenzene
- Based on end-use, the market can be segregated into lubricating oil, heat transfer oil, corrosion inhibitors, oilfield chemicals, and others. Due to properties like thermal stability and low-temperature fluidity heavy alkyl benzene is dominatingly used as lubricating oil.
The Global Heavy Alkyl Benzenes Market Segmentation by Region
- Based on region, the global heavy alkyl benzenes market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a significant CAGR during the forecast period
- Asia Pacific is likely to dominate the global market in the near future. China is expected to be a major player in Asia Pacific.
- The heavy alkyl benzenes market in North America and Europe is likely to expand at a rapid pace. It is estimated to account for moderate share of the global market during the forecast period.
- The market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is likely to expand at a steady pace during the forecast period.
- In 2018, CEPSA expanded the production capacity of its chemicals plants in Indonesia and Germany to diversify its product portfolio in alkylbenzene, a basic ingredient and fatty alcohols. The company also strategically acquired Bécancour Canada chemical plant to increase its production capacity of alkylbenzene.
Key Players in Heavy Alkyl Benzenes Market
- Sinopec Jinling Petrochemical
- SEEF Limited
- Tamil Nadu Petro Products
The Global Heavy Alkyl Benzenes Market: Research Scope
The Global Heavy Alkyl Benzenes Market, by Application
The Global Heavy Alkyl Benzenes Market, by End-use
- Lubricating Oil
- Heat Transfer Oil
- Oilfield Chemicals