Gruyère is one of the finest cheese majorly used in culinary. It is a hard textured yellow color cheese originated from Switzerland named after the town in Switzerland. It is an excellent source of protein, calcium, and essential fatty acids. Gruyère, the Swiss cheese is used to make food products such as fondue, Tarts, pies, hot sandwiches, soufflés, and gratins. It is known for its creaminess and is a good melting cheese. Also, it is also broadly used as a table cheese. Similar to other Alpine or Swiss cheeses, gruyère is served with wines and beers like Riesling, Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc and Beaujolais. Production of gruyere is comparatively less than other cheese because of adherence to high standard quality during manufacturing, packaging, and storage. It is prepared by curing raw milk for six months than it is aged for several months to gain mildly nutty, earthy flavor. Gruyère is available in ranges, such as Beaufort and Comte. Gruyère substitutes are available in the cheese market among which French cheese is considered to be nearly identical. Other substitutes available in the market include Gouda, plain Swiss, fontina, appenzell, abondance, mild provolone, emmentaler, cantal, raclette or graviera.
Global Gruyère Market: Drivers & Restraints
The ever growing demand for cheese in food products and as a table cheese with the variety of liquor has enhanced the growth of Gruyère cheese across the globe particularly in Europe and nearby regions. Being a tourist destination, many tourists around the world visit the Switzerland places to taste the variety of wine, cheese, and chocolate. Therefore the range of Swiss cheeses is getting recognized globally especially as a luxury food.
Another major factor that drives gruyere market is the reduction of cheese trade barrier between Europe (EU) and Switzerland. In 2007, due to the agreement between World Trade Organization and Europe, left Switzerland government to open their cheese market worldwide. The Swiss government also reduced export subsidies and protective duties as well as eliminated milk price guarantees and quotas to enhance their dairy product market. Because of free cheese trade between Switzerland and Europe open the opportunities for food & beverage sector key players to get varieties and qualities at a lower price.
Although demand for gruyère cheese in the market is recognizable; but tight competition with other cheese, availability of many gruyere substitutes in food market are some major restraint that holds gruyere’s market.
Global Gruyère Market: Segmentation
The global gruyère market is segmented by its product types, end users and distribution channels.
Based on its products type, gruyère market is segmented into:
- Gruyère AOP “Classic”
- Gruyère AOP Réserve
- Gruyère d'Alpage AOP
- Gruyère AOP Bio
- Gruyere de Comte (French version)
- Austrian Alps Gruyere
Based on its end use, gruyère market is segmented into:
Based on its distribution channel, gruyère market is segmented into:
- Internet retailing
- Mass Retailing
- Direct Selling
Global Gruyère Market: Regional Outlook
Based on the geographies, the global gruyère market is segmented into seven regions; namely, North America gruyère market, Latin America gruyère market, Eastern Europe gruyère market, Western Europe gruyère market, Asia Pacific excluding Japan gruyère market, Japan gruyère market and the Middle East & Africa gruyère market. Free cheese trade between Europe and Switzerland made Eastern and Western Europe leading region in the market of gruyère cheese globally, neighboring countries such as Germany, France, and Spain are the prominent consumers of this luxury cheese. High-end preference of Swiss cheese in restaurants of US and Canada made North America, second largest consuming region of gruyère cheese.
Global Gruyère Market: Key Players
Few of the market players accounting on gruyère market includes La Maison Du Gruyere, Wisconsin cheese, Bel UK, Bradburys, Castelli, Harvey & Brockless, Emmi, Eurilait, Golden Acre Dairy Foods, Interprofession du Gruyère, Lactalis, Arla, Norseland Ltd, Anthony Rowcliffe & Son, The Pimpernel Wharf, and Savencia Fromage & Dairy.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.