COVID-19 Impact on Grid Scale Stationary Battery Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the grid scale stationary battery market.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Grid Scale Stationary Battery Market
- Grid scale stationary battery plays a vital role in generating a relentless and steady power supply. It has evolved as one of the most important solutions for integrating effectively high shares of wind and solar renewables in power systems worldwide. It is used in various industries to deliver strong connectivity and energy storage.
- High-capacity batteries are installed as means of backup sources to deliver stability to the electrical grid and supply power during power failures or power outages. Increase in usage of renewable energy sources worldwide and enactment of stringent government policies to lower carbon emissions are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Rise in deployment of renewable energy and favorable government initiatives to reduce carbon emissions are driving the market. Furthermore, continued integration of clean energy systems such as solar and wind necessitates cost-effective technologies for different network synchronization. This is expected to boost the market in the near future. Furthermore, increase in demand for electricity supply and grid stability is expected to augment the market during the forecast period.
Grid Scale Stationary Battery: Battery Type Segment
- In terms of battery type, the global grid scale stationary battery market can be divided into lithium-ion, sodium sulfur, lead acid, flow battery, and others
- The lithium-ion segment is projected to hold major share of the global grid scale stationary battery market during the forecast period. Lithium-ion batteries are economically feasible for balancing the grid on a timescale from fraction of a second to a few hours. This serves well to handle a tripping nuclear reactor, a suddenly failing power line, or balancing solar daily variation. Additionally, high energy density of these batteries makes them suitable for applications with high power requirements. These favorable features have led to the rise in installation of lithium-ion based stationary battery storage systems.
- The sodium sulfur segment is projected to follow the lithium-ion segment during the forecast period. Sodium sulfur batteries are primarily used for load leveling, transmission, and distribution network management, and stabilization of renewable energy and auxiliary services. No self-discharge, quick response time, and high shelf life are other factors estimated to drive the sodium sulfur segment in the near future.
Grid Scale Stationary Battery: Grid Service Segment
- Based on grid service, the global grid scale stationary battery market can be segmented into frequency regulation, flexible ramping, black start service, energy shifting & capacity deferral, transmission & distribution congestion relief, and others
- The frequency regulation segment is projected to gain higher share of the global market during the forecast period. Frequency regulation services facilitate the synchronization of power generation resources for efficient grid operation. Increase in integration of clean energy systems, including solar and wind energy, has resulted in the installation of cost-effective solutions to synchronize different grids. This is expected to positively influence the demand for frequency regulation services in the near future.
- The black start service segment is also projected to hold key share of the global grid scale stationary battery market in the near future. This can be ascribed to the increase in demand for power system flexibility related to power outages or power system failures. In turn, this is expected to drive the global grid scale stationary battery market during the forecast period.
Asia Pacific to Hold Leading Share of Grid Scale Stationary Battery Market
- In terms of region, the grid scale stationary battery market can be segregated into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is expected to hold major share of the global grid scale stationary battery market, followed by North America and Europe, during the forecast period. This can be ascribed to the rise in investments in power generation capacity, owing to the increase in demand for electrification, particularly in rural areas. Emphasis on grid stability and reliable electricity has been rising as countries such as China, India, and Japan continue to industrialize. Furthermore, growth in efforts to lower the carbon footprint by upgrading renewable energy infrastructure is likely to boost the market in the near future.
- The grid scale stationary battery market in Europe and North America is projected to expand at a rapid pace in the near future. Expansion of the market in North America can be ascribed to the increase in investment in refurbishment of old grid networks in the region. The U.S. holds major share of the regional market, as the country is one of the significant energy consumers of grid-scale storage battery systems.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Grid Scale Stationary Battery Market
The global grid scale stationary battery market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the grid scale stationary battery market include:
- Johnson Controls
- Furukawa Battery Co., Ltd.
- Hoppecke Batteries, Inc.
- Toshiba Corporation
- Exide Technologies, LLC
- Koninklijke Philips N.V.
- Toshiba Corporation
Grid Scale Stationary Battery: Research Scope
Grid Scale Stationary Battery Market, by Battery Type
- Sodium Sulfur
- Lead Acid
- Flow Battery
Grid Scale Stationary Battery Market, by Grid Service
- Frequency Regulation
- Flexible Ramping
- Black Start Service
- Energy Shifting & Capacity Deferral
- Transmission & Distribution Congestion Relief
Global Grid Scale Stationary Battery Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Grid Scale Stationary Battery: Introduction
- Grid scale stationary battery is considered key to success in a carbon-constrained world. It introduces flexibility into power systems and enables the optimal use of variable electricity sources such as solar and wind energy, while ensuring consumers continue to receive an uninterrupted electricity supply.
- It is used for many purposes, from small-scale home storage systems to multi-megawatt batteries that help balance services and mitigate grid congestion, blackouts, and brownouts. Grid scale stationary battery can connect to the distribution or transmission network and support the grid by providing system operation services and solar photovoltaic and wind generators. It can also defer energy at peak generation and provide grid reinforcements.
This upcoming business intelligence report is intended to be a one-stop market research solution to guide organizations in taking timely and effective decisions for their business growth. The ongoing study is the culmination of our deep expertise on data science methods, combined with an unparalleled understanding of the external environment and analysis of the industries. Each of the reports by TMR aims at offering a detailed scrutiny of the value chain of our current and prospective customers, takes them from identifying value propositions, and subsequently assist their business executives to implement right strategies to create customer value. We believe that creating and sustaining the customer value is the key pivot on which business executives can create profits for their organizations and increase the market shares, continuously and with sustainability.
Each of our touchpoints through which we engage with the organization/enterprise during the primary research enables us to understand the internal environment it operates in and the ways in which the external environment influences its growth.
Always Evolving with Competition
Excellence is built into the DNA of TMR, and all our teams work collaboratively and committedly toward achieving that in whatever they do. From the very first interaction our teams of research analysts have with any interested market participant to the final preparation processes in each of our reports reflects a rigorous understanding of the dynamic industry environment that businesses operate in.
We relentlessly work to be a differentiator in whatever we do in the current era of hypercompetitive global environment. The result of our unceasing focus on excellence is reflected clearly in the insights and guidance we offer to our customers in order to empower them to create brand equity. Our simple yet very powerful underpinning for navigating the competition is to always keep evolving with changing business environments. Our close-kinit team of research analysts not only believe in this simple philosophy but also implement the same.
Constantly Innovating Our Research Methodologies and Models
We do not limit with any specific market research tool or one standard approach for obtaining or analyzing data. Undoubtedly, our report making process is ever-evolving to meet the customer needs and demands supported broadly by a vast knowledge of data science methods that we combine with business acumen our teams have built upon for several years. Evidently, our primary and secondary research data about customers and consumers have shown that we can go to any lengths to obtain them. This is followed by applying next-gen automation tools integrated with human judgement to clear the clutter, ascertain the most relevant and recent qualitative and quantitative insights, and package them in digestible chunks in our reports for our customers.
We Take Pride in No-One-Size-Fits-All Approach
Over the past several years, we have been conducting market intelligence studies across all industries for all types of organizations — big and small, profit and not-for-profit, and Fortune 500 and Unicorns, as we believe that a sound decision making must be based on no-one-size-fits-all approach. Without doubt, each of the organizations regardless of the industry they are in are affected differently by changes in political, economic, socio-culture, legal, ecological, and legal environments. The research models and the value chain analysis process that our analysts employ for conducting the study uphold this approach.
We look at myriad components of internal and external business environment affecting the growth strategies of organizations. Some of the broader aspects that we focus on are:
- Our team of Analysts and Support Teams always strive to see the bigger picture in life cycle stages of any industry
- The Teams focus on obtaining valuable insights into different models of competitive advantage while making an internal environment analysis
- They keep on modifying the value chain analysis processes of organizations to understand on how customer value is created
Some areas of assessing market dynamics that are used in the research models and methodologies adopted by our analysts can be summarized as:
- Corporate and business strategies underlying new brand positioning strategies
- Mapping for strategic planning for business units
- Various metrics for business portfolio analysis, including BCG matrix
- Value chain analysis
These will help create and sustain competitive advantage for our prospects and current customers.
Key focus areas and agenda that underpin and catalyze our primary and secondary research initiatives and endeavors are:
- What are some of the core competencies and distinctive competencies of new entrants and established players in the industry we are analyzing?
- What are some of the branding opportunities that are emerging at a rapid pace?
- What are the major competitive forces and elements of external environment shaping the industry life cycle stages of most organizations?
- Why some competitive strategies are popular than others among leaders in a certain market?
- What customer-based brand equity strategies companies have leveraged in a certain industry or set of related industries in a sector?
- What are some of the key pricing strategies that companies in an industry are implementing for marketing their products internationally?
- Identifying whether market-push or market-pull strategies are more relevant to a certain product or a service?
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.