COVID-19 Impact on Grain Alcohol Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the grain alcohol market.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Grain Alcohol Market
- Grain alcohol is primarily used in the food & beverages industry. Beer consumption has increased exponentially of late. Therefore, major market players and local manufacturers are sourcing grain alcohol from barley. Additionally, rise in popularity of craft beer and locally manufactured beer among youngsters is expected to propel the demand for alcoholic beverages. Changing lifestyle, rapid urbanization, increase in consumption rate of alcoholic drinks, high disposable income, and rise in popularity of beer among the millennial population are some of the factors driving the global grain alcohol market. Furthermore, introduction of innovative flavors and new ingredients, such as fruity tart and salty flavors, in craft beers is propelling the grain alcohol market.
- Alcohol manufactured from barely is projected to account for large share of the market in the near future. Rise in popularity of craft beer and local beer is likely to further boost the demand for domestic malt over the next few years.
Grain Alcohol: Type Segment
- In terms of type, the global grain alcohol market can be divided ethanol and polyols
- The ethanol segment is projected to hold major share of the global grain alcohol market during the forecast period. Ethanol is widely used in the food industry as a flavoring and coloring agent and in candy glazing. It finds applications in the bakery & confectionery industry apart from beverages. Owing to properties such as solubility, high octane number, and antimicrobial activity, ethanol plays an important role in the food industry. It is used to manufacture flavors & extracts, food dyes, and candy glaze, among others
- The polyols segment is projected to follow the ethanol segment during the forecast period. Polyols are sugar alcohols, such as sorbitol, lactitol, and xylitol, which are found in sugar-free products. High demand for sugar-free products is driving the global grain alcohol market.
Grain Alcohol: Application Segment
- Based on application, the global grain alcohol market can be segmented into food & beverages, pharmaceutical, and others
- The food & beverages segment is projected to gain higher share of the global market during the forecast period. Grain alcohol is also used to make other alcoholic drinks such as liqueurs. Growth in the number of breweries in the last few years has been a prominent factor of the market growth.
- The pharmaceutical segment is projected to hold key share of the global grain alcohol market in the near future. Alcohol is used in the pharmaceutical industry in a variety of manufacturing processes. It has bactericidal activity and is often used as a topical disinfectant, especially in alcohol gels. It is also widely used as a solvent and preservative in pharmaceutical preparations. Rise in usage of grain alcohol in the pharmaceutical industry is likely to boost the market during the forecast period.
Europe to Hold Leading Share of Grain Alcohol Market
- In terms of region, the grain alcohol market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe is expected to hold major share of the global grain alcohol market, followed by Asia Pacific and North America, during the forecast period. The grain alcohol market Europe is the largest in the world, and despite very high per capita consumption levels, market growth has remained attractive and stable. Presence of a large food & beverage industry offers the grain alcohol market in Europe a prominent consumer base with opportunistic growth prospects. Europe is the one of the largest markets for sugar polyols. Consumer demand for low-calorie food is high. The food industry prefers sugar polyols, which are similar to sugar but with low-calorie value. These sugar polyols act as bulking agents, which provide the mass required and sweeten the product without adding any additional calories.
- The grain alcohol market in Asia Pacific and North America is projected to expand at a rapid pace in the near future. Growth of the market in Asia Pacific can be ascribed to the rapid economic development in the region. This, in turn, is booting the demand for better quality beverage applications, especially in China, India, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, and South Korea. The alcoholic beverages market in this region is currently undergoing significant transformation in response to rapid urbanization. This is expected to boost the consumption of grain alcohol.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Grain Alcohol Market
The grain alcohol market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the grain alcohol market include:
- Roquette Frères
- MGP Ingredients
- Grain Processing Corporation
- Wilmar Group
- Manildra Group
- Glacial Grain Spirits
- Hardenberg-Wilthen AG
Grain Alcohol: Research Scope
Grain Alcohol Market, by Type
Grain Alcohol Market, by Application
- Food & Beverages
Global Grain Alcohol Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Grain Alcohol: Introduction
- Grain alcohol is a distilled neutral spirit made from fermenting grains. It is the purified form of ethyl alcohol, which is also called ethanol, neutral grain spirit, or rectified spirit. It is sold under different brand names, including Everclear, Alcohol-95, and Golden Grain.
- Grain alcohol is a clear liquid, with no color, no smell, and no taste. It has a very harsh, burning aftertaste that makes most people cough.
- Grain alcohol and ethanol is used in various industrial applications through refining processes. Ethanol can be used as an antiseptic, fuel, and solvent. Industrial ethanol may not always be safe to drink, since it often contains additives. Other industrial alcohols such as isopropyl alcohol have different chemical structures. This makes them unsafe for human consumption.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.