Glycol Ether: Introduction
- Glycol ethers are considered a group of solvents based on alkyl ethers of ethylene glycol or propylene glycol. These solvents typically have higher boiling point, together with the favorable solvent properties of lower-molecular weight ethers and alcohols.
- The glycol ether product family is made up of more than 30 different types of solvents that can be categorized into two major groups, E-series and P-series, depending upon the starting material used (ethylene or propylene). E-series comprises ethylene glycol butyl ether, ethylene glycol propyl ether, and ethylene glycol butyl ether acetate as key products. These are used extensively as they have strong compatibility with diverse organic solvents and water. They also have low volatility and strong solvent properties. Thus, they are employed in applications in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, electronics, and personal care.
- P-series is majorly used in products that are used in treating metal and non-metal surfaces, laboratory products, and water treatment formulation. Glycol ether helps in the formation of a proper film during coating cure and acts as an active solvent in resins. It helps in optimizing the evaporation rate of the solvent in a coating. It is also helpful in improving the flow out characteristics of the paint, and in eliminating brush marks during painting.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Glycol Ether Market
- Major factors driving the market are increase in usage of glycol ethers in cosmetics and personal care products and high demand in the paints & coatings industry
- The paints & coatings industry is the largest consumer of glycol ethers. Paints and coatings are extensively used in various industries such as construction, automotive, and packaging.
- Residential and commercial construction has been increasing significantly across the world. This is also boosting the demand for glycol ether, as it is used in the production of architectural paints and coatings.
- According to the World Bank, the construction industry expenditure in 2020 is likely to witness a growth of about 4.2% from that in 2019. This, in turn, is likely to increase the demand for glycol ether during the forecast period.
- Presence of REACH and EPA regulations regarding the usage of glycol ether; and the emergence of new products, such as cellulosic ethanol, as solvents for cleaning agents are restraining the glycol ether market
Glycol Ether: End-use Segment
- In terms of end-use, the global glycol ether market can be segmented into paints & coatings, printing, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics & personal care, electronics, and others
- The paints & coatings segment dominated the market in 2019. The segment is expected to expand during the forecast period, due to high demand for paints and coatings in various industries such as construction and packaging.
Covid-19 Impact on Glycol Ether Market
- Several companies and private sector businesses have been operating on a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic. Various manufacturing activities of different materials and products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, and disruption of the supply chain. This has hampered the global glycol ether market.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Glycol Ether Market
- In terms of region, the global glycol ether market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the market in 2019. Demand for paints, coatings, and adhesives has been increasing in end-user industries such as automotive, construction, electronics, and packaging in the region.
- India, China, the Philippines, Vietnam, and Indonesia have numerous construction projects and investments in the pipeline. This is likely to boost the demand for architectural paints, coatings, and adhesives in these countries.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Glycol Ether Market
The global glycol ether market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global glycol ether market include:
- BASF SE
- Eastman Chemicals Company
- Royal Dutch Shell
- LyondellBasell Industries NV
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Huntsman Corporation
- Hannong Chemicals Inc
- Matrix Chemicals
- Biesterfeld AG
Global Glycol Ether Market: Research Scope
Global Glycol Ether Market, by Type
- E-series Glycol Ether
- Ethylene Glycol Propyl Ether
- Ethylene Glycol Butyl Ether Acetate
- Methyl Ether
- Butyl Ether
- Methyl Ether Acetate
Global Glycol Ether Market, by End-use
- Paints & Coatings
- Cosmetics & Personal Care
Global Glycol Ether Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.