Glass-like Carbon Market: Overview
- Glass-like carbon, commonly called glassy carbon or vitreous carbon, is non-graphitizable or non-graphitizing carbon that possesses glassy and ceramic characteristics similar to those of graphite. Low density, low electric resistance, low friction, low thermal resistance, hardness, resistance to high temperatures, extreme resistance to chemical attacks, and impermeability to glass and liquid are some of the remarkable properties of glass-like carbon.
- Glass-like carbon material is much stable at high-level heating or continuous high-level cooling. These properties of glass-like carbon make it most desirable for use in applications wherein high performance is more important than low cost.
- Glass-like carbon is largely used in high-temperature crucibles; as an electrode material in electrochemistry; and as a component of some prosthetic devices. Due to bio-compatibility, stability, and simple manufacturing techniques of glass-like carbon, it is widely accepted for use in dental implants and heat valves.
- It is also extensively employed in applications including semiconductors, manufacturing processes (continuous or strand casting), and heat treatment processes
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of Glass-like Carbon Market report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Glass-like Carbon Market
- A significant share of the overall consumption of glass-like carbon is expected to be held by coating methods, wherein glass-like carbon is used for covering the surface of graphite for various other end-uses. This factor is expected to drive the global glass-like carbon market during the forecast period.
- Researchers worldwide are coming up with advancements in aircraft materials from engine design to latest avionics systems, such as manufacture of flexible and shape-changing wing designs and precise orbiting instruments. This is expected to fuel the demand for glass-like carbon for use in the improvement of existing products and development of new products in the next few years.
- Substitutes for glass-like carbon, such as high-performance polymeric composites, primarily glass and aramid, are available at a low price. High cost of glass-like carbon is limiting its range of application. This is anticipated to act as a restraint of the global glass-like carbon market during the forecast period.
Global Glass-like Carbon Market, by Application
- Based on application, the global glass-like carbon market can be segmented into semiconductors, manufacturing process (continuous or strand casting), and heat treatment process, and others
- Glass-like carbon helps in preventing dust from sticking to the surface and improves surface hardness. This increases its use in the semiconductor industry. The semiconductor segment is projected to account for a major share of the global glass-like carbon market by 2027.
- In the manufacturing process used for continuous or strand casting of copper, glass-like carbon is employed, owing to its advantage of ensuring long life of the substrate. The manufacturing segment is also expected to expand at a significant rate during the forecast period.
North America to be a Key Market for Glass-like Carbon
- In terms of region, the global glass-like carbon market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America and Europe are expected to hold a significant share of the global glass-like carbon market owing to their emerging and mature nature, respectively. Rise in usage of glass-like carbon in semiconductor and manufacturing industries and increased number of domestic players in end-use industry verticals are key factors boosting the market in these regions.
- The market in Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa is estimated to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period, owing to growth of manufacturing and heat treatment industries in these regions
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report of Glass-like Carbon Market
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Glass-like Carbon Market
The global glass-like carbon market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in the market in developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global market are:
- E&B Rubber Metal Products
- Carbone Lorraine
- SGL Group
- Toyo Tanso
- Sinosteel Corporation
- Hitachi Chemical
- Nisshinbo Chemical
- Morgan Advanced Materials
Global Glass-like Carbon Market: Research Scope
Global Glass-like Carbon Market, by Type
- Hardening Type
- Medium Temperature Type
- High Temperature & High Purity Type
Global Glass-like Carbon Market, by Application
- Manufacturing Process (Continuous or Strand Casting)
- Heat Treatment Process
Global Glass-like Carbon Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note:Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.