Glacial Acrylic Acid (GAA) Market Introduction
- Glacial acrylic acid (GAA) is a clear, colorless liquid with pungent odor. It is highly reactive. Its chemical formula is CH2=CHCO2H. GAA is produced through the catalyzed oxidation of propene.
- GAA is used as a chemical intermediate in the manufacture of chemicals and chemical products, primarily acrylate esters and acrylate salts. It is also used as a building block to produce homo- and co-polymers. Lower alkyl acrylates such as methyl acrylate and ethyl acrylate are primarily produced by an acid-catalyzed esterification reaction of acrylic acid and alcohol, respectively.
- GAA offers properties of acetic acids. These include the ability to form salts, anhydrides, acid chlorides, and esters. It also exhibits properties of double bonds such as addition, cyclization, polymerization, and copolymerization reaction.
- In terms of end-use industry, the global GAA market can be segmented into surfactants & coatings, water treatment, detergents, SAP, textiles, and others. The SAP segment is expected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period. GAA is largely used in the production of superabsorbent polymers, which are primarily employed in hygiene and personal care products. The surfactants & coatings end-user segment is anticipated to account for significant share of the global GAA market during the forecast period owing to rise in demand for coatings in automotive, aerospace, and paper industries.
Key Drivers of Glacial Acrylic Acid (GAA) Market
- Increase in demand for GAA in the personal care industry due to its superabsorbent properties is expected to drive the market during the forecast period. Rise in production of surfactants, surface coatings, and adhesives & sealants in various developing countries is also expected to boost the market.
- GAA is also used as a chemical intermediate to produce other monomers by transesterification of molecules through chemical synthesis, because of their high affinity for addition reactions with many inorganic and organic compounds. The resulting materials are ingredients used in coatings, elastomers, water treatment, leather finishing, adhesives & sealants, thickeners, surfactants, fibers, plastics, textiles, inks, and pharmaceutical intermediates. Thus, rise in usage of GAA as chemical intermediate is estimated to drive the GAA market during the forecast period.
- Major market players such as BASF SE, Dow Chemicals, Cargill, and Novozyme are investing significantly in the development of bio-based GAA. This is further expected to augment the demand for GAA in the next few years.
- Superabsorbent polymers are mainly used in the preparation of baby diapers, female hygiene, and personal care products. Thus, rise in demand for superabsorbent polymers in personal care products and hygiene products is boosting the GAA market.
Key Restraints of Glacial Acrylic Acid (GAA) Market
- Volatility in prices of propylene, and low adoption & awareness in underdeveloped countries about GAA is projected to hamper the market during the forecast period
- GAA is corrosive, and needs to be stored in glass, stainless steel, or polyethylene containers. It must also be stored under air atmosphere, as the presence of oxygen is essential to activate the stabilizer. GAA should not be stored for excessive periods, because of the irreversible formation of dimers. These storage conditions are very costly. Thus, high cost associated with storage and preservation of GAA can hamper the market.
- Stringent regulatory measures have been enacted on the usage of GAA due to its high toxicity and rise in environmental concerns across the globe. This is expected to adversely impact the market in the near future.
Impact of COVID-19 on Glacial Acrylic Acid (GAA) Market
- The coronavirus pandemic has adversely affected the global economy. Various governments across the globe are undertaking lockdown measures to curb the spread of the pandemic. Industrial activities have come to a halt, while manufacturing facilities have shut down. These measures take a significant toll on almost all industrial sectors, as factories are facing supply chain breakdowns and labor shortages.
- The organic chemical industry is facing the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Supply chains are being disrupted by outbreaks in key countries such as China, India, Japan, the U.S., and Germany. Demand for GAA is likely to decline in the near future due to uncertainty in the global economy and capital markets.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Global Glacial Acrylic Acid (GAA) Market
- In terms of region, the global GAA can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is projected to hold major share of the global market in terms of consumption during the forecast period. Rise in demand for GAA in various end-user industries such as chemical, water treatment, detergent, and personal care and hygiene is expected to boost the market in the near future.
- China is currently the second largest market for personal care and hygiene products in the world. It is expected to become the largest in the near future. Thus, growth in personal care and hygiene market is estimated to create lucrative opportunities for the GAA during the forecast period.
- North America is also projected to account for vital share of the global GAA market during the forecast period. Increase in geriatric population in the U.S. and Canada is expected to augment the demand for adult incontinence products. This, in turn, is likely to boost the consumption of GAA in the near future.
- The market in Europe and Latin America is projected to expand at a moderate pace during the forecast period
Key Players Operating in Global Glacial Acrylic Acid (GAA) Market
- OPX Bio
- BASF SE
- Nippon Shokubai
Global Glacial Acrylic Acid (GAA) Market: Research Scope
Glacial Acrylic Acid (GAA) Market, by Purity
- GAA 100%
- GAA 80%
Glacial Acrylic Acid (GAA) Market, by End-user Industry
- Surfactants & Coatings
- Water Treatment
Glacial Acrylic Acid (GAA) Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.