Gel Battery: Introduction
- Gel battery is a type of valve regulated acid battery with a jellied electrolyte. Mixture of sulfuric acid with silica fumes makes the resulting electrolyte solution gel-like and immobile.
- Gel batteries are light in weight and have longer life span compared to other batteries. Solidified electrolyte in gel batteries reduces the risk of spillage and keeps the acid immobile.
- Gel batteries offer greater resistance to shock & vibration. Their rate of evaporation is very low due to jellified electrolyte. Therefore, gel batteries are ideal for usage in extreme temperature conditions.
- Gel battery is used in cell phones, off-grid power systems, camcorders, motorcycles, and marine equipment. Gel batteries can also be installed at odd angles. Gel batteries are light in weight; therefore, they are primarily preferred for motorcycle design.
- Gel batteries are spill proof and have less maintenance compared to traditional flooded cells. Therefore, gel batteries are used in marine equipment.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Gel Battery
- Consumers in developed and developing countries have different mobility needs. Constant urbanization is expected to lead consumers toward car ownership in the near future. Increase in sales of new vehicles and rise in number of on-road vehicles in regions such as Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa are estimated to propel the demand for gel batteries in these regions in the near future.
- Increase in awareness about energy generation from renewable energy sources has led to a change in infrastructure of the electric grid setup. Governments of many countries are promoting the use of off-grid setup. In an off-grid setup, the electricity generated by renewable energy sources is managed independently. Gel battery is one of the key components in this setup to store energy. Thus, rise in installation of off-grid setup is projected to boost the gel battery market in the near future.
- In order to prevent excess gas from forming inside the cells, the user needs to charge the gel battery at a slower rate. This is one of the restraints of the gel battery market. These batteries must be charged at a lower voltage to prevent overcharging. Overcharging can make these batteries permanently porous. This would ultimately hamper the battery’s lifespan.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis on Power Demand
- Governments of several countries across the globe have imposed stringent lockdowns to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Movement of individuals and economic activities, related to goods and services, have come to a halt because of lockdowns. This has adversely affected the demand for electricity for commercial purposes. In turn, this has hampered the global gel battery market.
Gel Battery Market Segmentation
- The global gel battery market can be segmented based on type and application
- In terms of type, the global gel battery market can be divided into 2 Volts, 6 Volts, and 12 Volts
- In terms of application, the global gel battery market can be segregated into electric mobility, energy storage & distribution, telecommunication, and others
Gel Battery Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global gel battery market can be split into Middle East & Africa, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America
- The gel battery market in the U.S. is anticipated to expand at a faster pace during the forecast period. Utilities in the U.S. invested approximately US$ 144 Bn in electricity generation, transmission, and distribution infrastructure in 2016. Investment in annual smart grid setup in the U.S. rose from US$ 3.4 Bn in 2014 to US$ 4.8 Bn in 2016. These investments are projected to rise to US$ 13.8 Bn in 2024.
- According to International Energy Agency, India’s electricity demand is projected to reach 1900 terawatt-hours by 2021-2022 and its carbon dioxide emission from coal combustion is projected to reach 3.3 gigatons (Gt) in 2030. By using building-to-grid technology, buildings can curb the unnecessary usage of electricity and can achieve even distribution of electricity without power outage. Thus, the gel battery market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a faster pace during the forecast period.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
- EXIDE INDUSTRIES LTD.
- BSB Power Company Limited
- LEOCH BATTERY
- Power Sonic Corporation
- Storage Battery Systems, LLC
- Canbat Technologies Inc.
- C&D TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
- JYC BATTERY MANUFACTURER CO. LTD.
- B.B. Battery
- Vision Technology Co., Ltd.
Global Gel Battery Market: Research Scope
Global Gel Battery Market, by Type
- 2 Volts
- 6 Volts
- 12 Volts
Global Gel Battery Market, by Application
- Electric Mobility
- Energy Storage & Distribution
Global Gel Battery Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.