Gamma-butyrolactone Market Introduction
- Gamma-butyrolactone is a hygroscopic colorless, water-miscible liquid with a weak characteristic odor. It is the simplest 4-carbon lactone. It is primarily used as an intermediate in the production of other chemicals, e.g. methyl-2-pyrrolidone. In humans, it acts as a prodrug for γ-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB), and is used as a recreational CNS depressant with effects similar to barbiturates.
- Gamma-butyrolactone has been found in extracts from samples of unadulterated wines. This finding indicates that it is a naturally occurring component in some wines and may be present in similar products.
- In terms of application, global Gamma-butyrolactone market can be segmented into agrochemical, electrical & electronics, food, pharmaceutical, petroleum, and others. The electrical & electronics segment is expected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period owing to growth in usage of gamma-butyrolactone in the manufacture of capacitors, batteries (electrolytic solution), and photographic films.
Key Drivers of Gamma-butyrolactone Market
- Growth in usage of Gamma-butyrolactone in the manufacture of various chemical compounds is expected to boost the consumption of gamma-butyrolactone during the forecast period. Gamma-butyrolactone is a fine chemical intermediate that is used in the manufacture of various chemical compounds. Gamma-butyrolactone is used extensively in various industrial applications. It is a common solvent found in paint strippers, nail polish removers, stain removers, and circuit board cleaners. It is also a common intermediate in industrial chemistry.
- Wide use of Gamma-butyrolactone in agricultural & forestry, pharmaceuticals and cosmetics fields is expected to boost the gamma-butyrolactone market during the forecast period. Gamma-butyrolactone acts as an antioxidant, plasticizer, extracting agent, dispersing agent, absorbent, and coagulating agent. Gamma-butyrolactone is also used as an intermediate in the production of herbicides, growth regulator in plants, and production of thiodibutyric acid used in rubber production, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and printing inks.
Restraints of Gamma-butyrolactone Market
- Side effects associated with Gamma-butyrolactone are restraining the market growth. There have been numerous adverse reactions of Gamma-butyrolactone including fatalities. Signs and symptoms can include euphoria, relaxation, reduced inhibition and sedation progressing to vomiting, urinary and fecal incontinence, agitation, convulsions, bradycardia, respiratory depression, coma, and death.
- Dearth of universal directives pertaining to applications of Gamma-butyrolactone is likely to hamper the market in the near future. Every country has different directives and legislations pertaining to the use of Gamma-butyrolactone. Companies find it difficult to meet these country-wise directives and legislations. This can discourage investment in the Gamma-butyrolactone market, thereby adversely affecting the market.
COVID-19 impact on Gamma-butyrolactone Market
- The COVID-19 outbreak is hampering the demand for Gamma-butyrolactone in many applications. Many governments across the globe enforced lockdown measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus. This has resulted in slowdown and halt in manufacturing operations, restrictions on supply and transport, and infrastructure slowdown. This is adversely affecting the demand for Gamma-butyrolactone.
- Key players operating in the Gamma-butyrolactone market are primarily tier I and tier II manufacturers and suppliers. Manufacture and supply chain facilities of these manufacturers are spread across various countries in Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. Many of these players have halted their production output over the last few months due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The pandemic has negatively impacted the demand and supply chain of Gamma-butyrolactone.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Gamma-butyrolactone Market
- In terms of region, the global Gamma-butyrolactone market can be split into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East Asia, and Latin America
- Asia Pacific is projected to hold significant share of the global Gamma-butyrolactone market in terms of consumption during the forecast period. End-user industries such as agrochemical, electrical & electronics, food, pharmaceutical, cosmetics, and petroleum are rapidly expanding in the region. Rise in disposable income and improvement in standard of living in many countries in Asia Pacific are boosting the demand for consumer electronics. This, in turn, is augmenting the demand for Gamma-butyrolactone.
- The Gamma-butyrolactone market in North America and Europe is expected to expand at a sluggish pace due to implementation of stringent regulations on the production and consumption of Gamma-butyrolactone. Some countries in Europe such as the Netherlands and Spain have forbidden import & export, manufacture, or possession of Gamma-butyrolactone. Many other European countries have formulated laws which could lead to imprisonment for not having license to manufacture, sell, or possess Gamma-butyrolactone.
Prominent Players in Global Gamma-butyrolactone Market
Major players operating in the global Gamma-butyrolactone market are adopting various organic and inorganic growth strategies such as joint ventures, mergers & acquisitions, expansion, collaborations, new product launches, strategic alliances, and research and development to increase their regional presence and business operations. Key players operating in the market include:
- Boai NKY
- Realsun Chemical
- Changxin Chemical
- Mitsubishi Chemical
- Ruian Chemical, Ashland
- Puyang Guangming Chemicals
- Binzhou Yuneng Chemical
- Lutianhua Group
- Xuchang Ruida Biology Technology
- Jinlong Chemical
- Dairen Chemical
Research Scope of Gamma-butyrolactone Market
Gamma-butyrolactone Market, by Purity
- Industrial Class (5 wt. %)
- Common Class (8 wt. %)
- Electric Capacitance Class (9 wt. %)
Gamma-butyrolactone Market, by Application
- Electrical & Electronics
Gamma-butyrolactone Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.