Global Gadolinium-based Contrast Agent Market: Snapshot
Gadolinium-based contrast agent (GBCA) also referred to as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) contrast media or dyes are chemical substances that are used in magnetic resonance imaging based diagnostics. When administered into the body, gadolinium-based contrast agent enhances the quality of MRI scans. This allows an accurate analysis of how the body is working for diseases detection or any other abnormality.
Gadolinium-based contrast agent comprise complex molecules that are held together by chemical bonds. The chemical bond is created between a gadolinium ion and a chelating agent. The use of chelating agents is not standard and is subjective to the gadolinium contrast medium brand. The contrast medium is administered into the body as part of the MRI scan, and is expelled from the body through the kidneys.
Gadolinium-based contrast agents are considered safe as contrast media for magnetic resonance imaging when used at recommended dosage. This is because GBCAs are completely extracted from the body in an intact state.
However, over the last decade, there is a growing body of data that indicates gadolinium accumulates in tissues of patients who are exposed to GBCAs for magnetic resonance imaging. Gadolinium retention is observed to be more in individuals who are repeatedly exposed to GBCA.
Gadolinium-based contrast agent are used in 1 out of 3 MRI scans to improve the clarity and quality of images of the body’s internal structures. This helps improve the diagnostic accuracy of MRI scans. GBCAs are used for improved visibility of inflammation, blood vessels, tumors, and for other organs in the body.
Gadolinium (Gd) is found as a rare earth metal, which is tough to extract, and it appears like a silvery white crystal. It is one of the few metals with ferromagnetic properties at room temperature. Like most of the rare earth metals, gadolinium forms trivalent ions with fluorescent properties. Gadolinium is used for shielding in neutron radiography and in nuclear reactor as it absorbs neutrons. Therefore, applications of the metal are seen in oven, microwave, and other electronic components. In medical field, it is utilized merely in the form of solution composites for radiological images enhancement. The gadolinium ions that occur in water soluble salts are toxic to human. But chelated Gd compounds are less toxic to human body as they are filtered out of the kidneys before the free ions get released into the tissue. This property of Gd increases its use in the medical field, where it is used as intravenous drug in diagnostic imaging procedures to enhance the quality of magnetic resonance angiography (MRA) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). The global gadolinium-based contrast agent market is a fairly matured market and is expected to witness a significant growth in the near future. The growth of the market is likely to be driven during the forecast period by the rising prevalence of chronic diseases such as cardiac diseases and cancer.
The global gadolinium-based contrast agent market is segmented on the basis of contrast agent type, disease indication, end-user, and geography. On the basis of contrast agent type, the market is divided into linear non-ionic agent, linear ionic, macrocyclic non-ionic, and macrocyclic ionic. The rates of dissociation of Gd from macrocyclic ligands are slower than the dissociation from linear ligands. Higher the dissociation constant, there is more possibility of de-chelating and release of free Gd ions into the body which may lead to serious adverse events. Therefore, linear gadolinium-based contrast agents are widely preferred for MRI scans.
On the basis of disease indication, the market is segmented into cardiovascular disorders, neurological disorders, respiratory diseases, nephrological disorders, and others. The cardiovascular disorders segment accounted for a large share of the global market and the trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. Advancements in cardiac MRI procedures in catheterization labs and promising reimbursement scenario for contrast agent products used during cardiovascular diagnosis along with highly developed health care infrastructure in countries such as Germany, the U.K., the U.S., and Canada are factors fueling the growth of the cardiovascular disorders segment. According to a survey of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, every year about 735,000 people have a heart attack in the U.S. Out of this number, 525,000 are the first heart attacks and 210,000 happen in people who have already suffered a heart attack. In addition, growth of the segment is attributed to the rise in number of diagnostic procedures coupled with the increase in disease burden in developing countries. In terms of end-user, the market is segmented into hospitals, specialty clinics, diagnostic centers, and others.
Geographically, the global gadolinium-based contrast agent market is distributed over North America (the U.S. and Canada), Europe (Germany, France, the U.K., and others), Asia Pacific (Australia, China, Japan, India, and others), Latin America, and Middle East & Africa. North America dominated the market in terms of revenue. North America was followed by Europe and is expected to register a high growth of the market. Emerging markets such as Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa are expected to record a robust growth during the forecast period owing to growing health care industry and aging population, which consequently are projected to result in the increase of patient population. India, China, and Brazil are likely to drive a significant growth of the market among the emerging countries owing to increase in investments by government bodies in order to enhance health care facilities.
Major players operating in this market are GE Healthcare, Bayer HealthCare, Guerbet, Bracco Diagnostic Inc., and Lantheus Medical Imaging, Inc.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.