Over the recent years, numerous studies in the human and animal nutrition have demonstrated the importance of natural functional food ingredients. Functional food provide several health benefits if they are consumed on the daily basis. Highest quality pet food include number of functional pet food ingredients such as prebiotic fibers, beneficial probiotic bacteria, omega-3 fatty acids, and other essential ingredients in order to improve overall health of pets beside providing basic nutrition. Functional pet food ingredients are becoming highly popular in current era as growing of number of pet owners are becoming increasingly aware regarding importance of pet health. Pet owners are changing their preference for pet food leading to demand for functional pet food ingredients that have health-promoting, energy boosting and disease preventing benefits. All these factors together will boost the global functional pet food ingredients market in the near future. Increasing importance of balanced diet for pets had encouraged number of manufacturers to incorporate functional pet food ingredients in their pet food thus contributing towards the market growth of functional pet food ingredients in the near future. For example, omega-3 is one of the most common functional pet food ingredients incorporated in dog food. Calcium is another class of functional pet food ingredients important for bone and teeth health. The global functional pet food ingredients market is benefitted by increasing number of pet ownerships across the globe.
Reasons for Covering this Title
Demand for natural food products is on rise wherein growing number of pet owners are looking for food products with clean label ingredients which is one of the prime factors contributing towards the market growth of functional pet food ingredients. For example, numerous studies have demonstrated the efficacy of chicory root fiber in pet food diet in terms of treating obesity. Thus, increasing sales in the naturally and organically derived functional pet food products category is expected to drive the market for natural functional pet food ingredients market in the near future. Furthermore, increasing number of pet ownerships coupled with growing spending on pet food products across the globe has increased the demand for functional pet food products and thus, the market for functional pet food ingredients. For example, as per data reveled by The American Pet Products Association (APPA), with each passing year, U.S. consumers continue to amplify their total spend on their pets. This factor has a significant impact on the demand of functional pet food ingredients in the near future. As per an independent survey, it has also been estimated that, 76% of dog owners and 71% of cat owners believe that, for better health of their pets it is essential to feed their pets with high quality pet food further adding to the market growth of functional pet food ingredients.
Global Functional Pet Food Ingredients: Market Segmentation
On the basis of nature, the global functional pet food ingredients market has been segmented as –
On the basis of ingredient type, the global functional pet food ingredients market has been segmented as–
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids
On the basis of application, the global functional pet food ingredients market has been segmented as –
- Bone Health
- Brain Health
- Heart Health
Pet Ownership in the U.S. By Species (Millions)
Source: American Pet Products Association
Global Functional Pet Food Ingredients Market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global functional pet food ingredients market are Kerry Group, DAR PRO Ingredients, Archer Daniels Midland Company, Marshall Ingredient, The Scoular Company, Roquette Frères, Koninklijke DSM N.V., Darling Ingredients International Holding B.V., ISONOVA TECHNOLOGIES LLC, PDM Group, The Peterson Company, L.V. Lomas among others.
Total U.S. Pet Industry Expenditures, 2006-2016, (US$ Bn)
Source: American Pet Products Association
Key Developments in Functional Pet Food Ingredients Market
- In March, 2018, Petcurean, which is a family-owned Canadian company involved in creating premium-quality pet food recipes introduced freeze-dried meal mixers for dogs which are made with nutritional and functional pet food ingredients.
- In May 2018, Bell Flavors & Fragrances which is a U.S. based manufacturer flavors, fragrances, botanical extracts and specialty ingredients launched new line of exotic protein flavors for use in pet food applications in the U.S. thus, contributing towards the market growth of functional pet food ingredients
Opportunities for Functional Pet Food Ingredients Market Participants
Rise in number of pet ownerships and increasing demand for premium functional pet food products is expected to drive the market for functional pet food ingredients. Product innovation in functional pet food category continues to be key focus area for the manufacturers of pet food products owing to increasing demand from pet owners to keep their pets healthy thus, driving the global functional pet food ingredients market. Furthermore, pet food currently are formulated to follow the human food trends such as organic, non-GMO, clean label, no preservatives claims which will add up to the market growth of functional pet food ingredients.
Brief Approach to Research
A modelling-based approach and triangulation methodology will be followed to estimate data covered in this report. A detailed market understanding and assessment of the nature, product type and end uses of the product segments covered in the study is followed by carrying out a demand-side approach to estimate the sales of target product segments, which is then cross-referenced with a supply-side assessment of value generated over a pre-defined period. The statistics and data is collected at a regional level, consolidated and synthesized at a global level to estimate the overall market sizes.
Key Data Points Covered in the Report
Some of the key data points covered in our report include:
- An overview of the Functional Pet Food Ingredients market, including background and evolution
- Macroeconomic factors affecting the Functional Pet Food Ingredients market and its potential
- Market dynamics, such as drivers, challenges and trends
- Detailed value chain analysis of the Functional Pet Food Ingredients market
- Cost structure of the products and segments covered in the global Functional Pet Food Ingredients market
- In-depth pricing analysis, by key product segments, regions and by major Functional Pet Food Ingredients market participants
- Analysis of supply and demand, such as top producing and consuming geographies, imports/exports and overall trade scenario in the global Functional Pet Food Ingredients market
- Analysis of the global Functional Pet Food Ingredients market structure, including a tier-wise categorization of key Functional Pet Food Ingredients market participants
- Competitive landscape of the market, including detailed profiles of the top players in the Functional Pet Food Ingredients market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.