A steady CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate) is set to mark the terrain over the forecast period of 2016-2024, owing to fumaric acid’s extensive and varied use in a number of industries. However, over the forecast period, two industries that will stand out in their contribution the growth charted are food and beverages and building and construction.
It is also worth noting here that fumaric acid is used in food as additive, flavor enhancer, acidulant and pH adjustor. It is widely used in processed food. And, in construction and building, it is used in unsaturated polyester resin and alkyd resins.
Some of the trends, drivers, and factors that are shaping the global fumaric acid market are outlined below:
- Construction volumes are set to rise at a dizzying pace, increasing in volumes by 85% by the year 2025. That means that over the forecast period, a market worth of USD 15.5 trillion will be accrued. In a study, it was noted that a large chunk of 57% will be accounted for by the three countries of China, India, and the United States of America. It does not really come as a surprise since population is rising and over the next 30 years, the number of additional people inhabiting the earth is 2 billion. That is an increase to 9.7 from a 7.7 billion currently.
- Longer workdays and rise of nuclear and dual income families has led to demand for easy to eat and ready to cook meals options. And, it goes without saying that leads more and more people towards shelves carrying processed foods. This is for two reasons. One is that they have longer shelf life and two, they are foods that check the boxes for convenient foods. Thus, a demand for these will help the global fumaric acid market grow.
Fumaric acid is also known as trans-butenedioic acid. Traditionally, fumaric acid is manufactured by the oxidation of furfural with the help of chlorate in the presence of vanadium catalyst. Industrially, fumaric acid is manufactured from the catalytic isomerisation of maleic acid (hydrolysis product of maleic anhydride) in aqueous solution. Biologically, fumaric acid is found in lichen, iceland moss, and bolete mushrooms among others. Fumaric acid finds application in various end-user industries such as food and beverages, paper processing, printing inks, and polymer resins. Food & beverages sector is one of the largest consumers of fumaric acid and is likely to follow a similar trend during the forecast period. Fumaric acid is used in desserts, jellies & jam, beverages, confectionaries, and bakery products among others.
The market for fumaric acid was driven by substantial demand from food & beverages, and buildings & construction industry. In food & beverages industry, food safety and preservation coupled with increasing popularity of processed foods was the major factor for driving the demand for fumaric acid. Fumaric acid is used in food & beverages as an acidulant, flavor enhancer, and pH adjustor among others. In plastics industry, fumaric acid is used in unsaturated polyester resin and alkyd resins. These resins are used in the buildings & construction industry. Rosin paper sizes, printing inks, and medical & healthcare are the other major end-users of fumaric acid. Increasing demand from sports and health drinks is likely to provide a major opportunity for fumaric acid during the forecast period. In addition, nutritional bars (cereal and energy bars) provide another major opportunity for fumaric acid with the demand slated to grow in the next few years. However, environmental regulations associated with alkyd and unsaturated polyester resins in Europe and North America can have a major impact on the market and are likely to hinder growth of the fumaric acid market during the forecast period.
In terms of demand, Asia Pacific was the leading consumer of fumaric acid. China witnessed the largest demand for fumaric acid market due to the huge demand from food & beverages industry coupled with the growth of plastics industry. However, other countries such as India, Japan, South Korea, Indonesia, and Taiwan are likely to exhibit further demand for fumaric acid in the near future due to huge demand from the food & beverages industry. Asia Pacific was followed by Europe. Growing demand from food & beverages, as well as buildings & construction is driving the fumaric acid market in Europe. There are widespread reconstruction and remodeling activities going on in Europe, thereby leading to huge demand for unsaturated polyester resin. Countries in Europe such as Germany, Italy, France, and the U.K. were the major consumers of fumaric acid in this region. However, stringent environmental regulations associated with the resin industry in the European Union can act as a major restraint for the market in the next few years. North America witnessed the third highest demand for fumaric acid. The U.S. led the demand for fumaric acid in North America. Other countries such as Mexico and Canada are likely to exhibit a higher demand for fumaric acid due to increasing demand for tortillas and breads. In Latin America, demand for fumaric acid is estimated to rise due to the growth of polymer resins industry by 2024. However, increasing demand from the food & beverages industry in the Middle East region is anticipated to offer a greater opportunity for the fumaric acid market in the near future.
The market for fuamric acid is concentrated, and is dominated by manufacturers with a global presence. Some key manufacturers in the fumaric acid market are Arkema SA, BASF SE, Bartek Ingredients Inc., Huntsman Corporation, and Thirumalai Chemicals Ltd. among others.
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.