Flatting Agents: Introduction
- Flatting agents, also known as matting agents, are used to reduce the glossy effect of paints, varnishes, lacquers, and other finishing paints and coatings. They reduce the gloss and also improve properties such as scratch resistance.
- Significant research is being conducted for the development of flatting agents with focus on particle size and improvement of efficiency and performance. Flatting agents have specific particle size distribution to diffuse the light in the specific pattern from the paint film. They help impart a smooth and deep matting effect. Flatting agents are used in various paints & coatings applications such as wood, coil, and architectural coatings.
Key Drivers of Global Flatting Agents Market
- Substantial growth in the paints & coatings and inks industries is projected to boost the demand for flatting agents across the globe. Significant rise in consumption of decorative paints, which are largely used in commercial and residential applications, is also expected to propel the market in the near future.
- Properties of flatting agents such as rheology, stability, scratch and mar resistance, finish, and smoothness are estimated to augment the demand for flatting agents in various applications during the forecast period. Increase in concern for esthetics; and growth in usage of decorative paints are projected to create positive impact on the global flatting agents market.
Waterborne Formulation Segment to Dominate Global Market
- Based on formulation, the waterborne segment dominated the global flatting agents market in 2019. The segment is expected to continue its dominance during the forecast period. Waterborne silica agents can be pre-wetted for obtaining various properties such as low dust development and low foam generation.
- The powder coating formulation segment is projected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period. Powder coating formulation is used in powder coating applications, which provide enhanced matting performance while maintaining coating properties such as flow and color stability. Demand for powder coatings has been rising owing to their durability, economical, and quality attributes. This trend is expected to boost the demand for powder flatting agents in the near future.
Architectural Coatings Application Segment to Dominate Global Market
- Architectural coatings was the prominent application segment in terms of demand in 2019. It is anticipated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period. Flatting agents provide inertness, film permeability control, burnish and scrub resistance, and high brightness when used in architectural applications.
- Flatting agents are widely used in industrial applications such as printing inks, metals, papers, and plastics coatings. Of these, the plastics coatings segment is anticipated to witness significant growth during the forecast period.
Global Flatting Agents Market: Restraining Factor
- High cost associated with the use of advanced flatting agents is a major challenge faced by the global flatting agents market. Enactment of stringent regulations regarding the emission of harmful volatile organic compounds (VOC’s) is also expected to hamper the global flatting agents market.
Covid-19 Impact on Flatting Agents Market
- Stoppage in manufacturing activities across various end-use industries has weakened the demand for various paints & coating related products. Furthermore, decline in construction activities and manufacturing capacities has hampered the demand for paints and coatings. This has negatively impacted the flatting agents market. However, gradual recovery of the economy and resumption of manufacturing activities are anticipated to drive the demand for flatting agents in 2021.
Asia Pacific to Hold Significant Share of Global Flatting Agents Market
- In terms of region, the global flatting agents market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the market for flatting agents in 2019. Rapid industrialization in developing countries, such as China and India, and rise in awareness regarding flatting agents are driving the market in the region. This trend is expected to continue during the forecast period.
- The market in Europe is projected to expand at a significant CAGR during the forecast period. High demand for architectural, wood, and industrial coatings; and presence of the leading industry participants are contributing to the growth of the market in the region.
Key Players Operating in Market
Manufacturers are focusing on the development of flatting agents such that the desired matting affect could be obtained while maintaining the performance properties of coatings such as good flow, color, stability, mar resistance, and other mechanical and physical properties. Key players operating in the global flatting agents market include:
- Evonik Industries AG
- PPG Industries, Inc.
- Huntsman Corporation
- J.M. Huber Corporation
- Dalian Fuchang Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Imerys S.A.
- W. R. Grace & Co.-Conn.
- The Lubrizol Corporation
- Michelman, inc.
- Akzo Nobel N.V.
Global Flatting Agents Market: Research Scope
Global Flatting Agents Market, by Product
Global Flatting Agents Market, by Formulation
Global Flatting Agents Market, by Application
- Industrial Coatings
- Printing Inks
- Wood Coatings
- Leather Coatings
- Architectural Coatings
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.