Film Adhesives: Introduction
- Film adhesives are solvent adhesives formed with a thin flexible bonding layer. Film adhesives are thermally and chemically active under high pressure. These films are also able to provide high-performance bonding with easily removable backing. Therefore, these films are used as alternatives to paste and liquid adhesives in various end-use industries. Film adhesives improve the performance of automotive. This, in turn, is boosting the adoption of film adhesives.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Film Adhesives Market
- Increase in demand for film adhesives in various end-use industries such as aerospace, consumer electronics, automotive & transportation, and electrical & electronics is driving the market. This rise in demand can be ascribed to excellent properties of these adhesives such as high strength and high-temperature resistance, which are essential in the automotive industry. Additionally, film adhesives can be applied directly. Thus, ease of using film adhesives is fuelling the film adhesives market.
- Demand for epoxy film adhesives is high in automotive and transportation industries owing to its high performance and high strength. Epoxy film adhesives are able to perform under high pressure and fatigue resistance. This is further driving the global film adhesives market.
- High production cost and complicated production process are restraining the global film adhesives market. Nonetheless, rise in application of film adhesives in consumer electronics is offering lucrative opportunities for the market.
Film Adhesives: Material Type Segment
- In terms of material type, the global film adhesives market can be segmented into Polypropylene (PP), Polyethylene (PE), Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC), and others
- The Polypropylene (PP) segment accounted for significant share of the global film adhesives market in 2020. Its dominance is projected to continue during the forecast period.
Film Adhesives: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global film adhesives market can be divided into electrical & electronics, packaging, automotive, medical, and others
- The electrical & electronics segment held major share of the global film adhesives market in 2020. It is projected to expand at a fast-paced CAGR during the forecast period.
COVID-19 Impact on Film Adhesives Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Film adhesives are used in various end-use industries including automotive, packaging, construction, and electrical & electronics. The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively impacted supplies of raw materials for adhesives and sealants. Materials used in the manufacture of film adhesives are being directed toward other applications that fall under the essential category. For example, alcohols are sent for hand sanitizers, while photo initiators are directed toward UV applications. Demand for film adhesives was stable in some applications such as pharmaceutical packaging in 2020. Recovery of the global economy and manufacturing sectors in various parts of the world is expected to drive the market in the near future.
Asia Pacific to Dominate Film Adhesives Market
- In terms of region, the global film adhesives market can be segregated into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a faster pace during the forecast period. Demand for film adhesives is high in the aerospace sector, as these adhesives are easy to handle and help in the manufacture of large parts of vehicles. Furthermore, the aerospace industry and manufacturers of high-end cars are shifting to developing countries in the region. These factors are propelling the film adhesives market in Asia Pacific.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Film Adhesives Market
The global film adhesives market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global film adhesives market include:
- 3M Company
- Avery Dennison Corporation
- UPM-Kymmene OYJ
- H.B. Fuller
- Toray Industries
- Cytec Solvay Group
Global Film Adhesives Market: Research Scope
Global Film Adhesives Market, by Material Type
- Polypropylene (PP)
- Polyethylene (PE)
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
Global Film Adhesives Market, by Application
- Electrical & Electronics
Global Film Adhesives Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!