Fertigation & Chemigation Market: Overview
- The use of fertigation complemented with micro-irrigation and precision farming provides a technical solution, wherein nutrients and water are supplied to the crop at high precision in terms of time and space. This offers high nutrient absorption efficiency.
- Fertilization and irrigation are the two most important attributes in crop production, as they impact the yield and quality of cultivated crops
- Horticulture crops are generally highly valued in international trade markets. As a result, fertigation is fundamental for obtaining high-yield and quality in open-field vegetable crops. Fertigation usually uplifts the nutritional efficiency by 90% compared to 40%-45% in other fertilizer application systems. Thus, fertigation is a commonly followed practice in horticulture farming.
Spatial and Temporal Advantages of Fertigation Practice
- Fertigation is an agronomic practice, wherein a fertilizer is dissolved in irrigational water and supplied to the root zone of the crops through the irrigation system. Chemigation is the injection of crop protection chemicals, such as pesticides, through irrigation systems. This combination provides precise mineral nutrition temporally and spatially.
- Increase in flexibility to split the fertilizer or crop protection chemical application according to the uptake rate of the crop is a major factor driving fertigation and chemigation practices in world agronomy
- According to studies conducted by the Department of Agriculture, Italy, in 2019, fertigation has been found to reduce the nitrogen wear off by 70% compared to conventional fertilizer applications. Furthermore, micro-irrigation systems enable higher water use efficiency. This is another advantageous factor for the adoption of fertigation and chemigation practices.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has adversely impacted the irrigation systems market, particularly that of landscaping irrigation systems. According to a Greek drip irrigation manufacturer, irrigation systems production decreased by 30%] in the second quarter of 2020. However, this trend has been slightly offset by the export orders from China and other countries in Asia amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The fertigation & chemigation market is likely to slightly recover in the near future with the resumption of production operations in Asia.
Fruits and Vegetables to Provide Lucrative Opportunities
- Relatively higher value addition of horticulture crops in the international trade market is one of the major reasons for the adoption of fertigation and chemigation practices in the horticulture sector compared to other crops
- Fertigation and chemigation practices are primarily adopted in tomato, bell peppers, cucumber, leafy greens, and exotic vegetables crops due to their high-value and demand in the global agricultural supply chain
Drip Irrigation Garners Larger Share of Fertigation & Chemigation Market
- Drip irrigation is a common system used for fertigation in open-field fresh vegetable production. According to a study conducted by Netafim in 2020, efficiency with drip irrigation exceeds 90% when compared to sprinkler system, whose efficiency ranges between 50% and 70%.
- Thus, high efficiency of drip irrigation provides competitive edge for efficient water utilization, thereby garnering high share of the global fertigation & chemigation market
Slow Pace of Business in European Landscaping Sector
- Irrigation equipment producers are running a risk of heavy losses due to production shutdowns caused by the COVID-19 outbreak. The pandemic has also impacted downstream stakeholders such as integrators and distributors in the entire supply chain.
- In Spain and Italy, difficulty in troubleshooting of golf courses and sports fields due to workforce constraints strongly impacted landscaping sales in 2020. However, this declining trend of fertigation and chemigation equipment is likely to recover with the revival of workforce and reopening of production plants in these countries.
Key Players in Global Fertigation & Chemigation Market
The global fertigation & chemigation market is slightly consolidated, with the presence of a few regional and global manufacturers. Prominent players are investing in mergers, acquisitions, expansion, and new product launches in order to maintain their leading position in the market. Jain Irrigation Systems Limited Has invested significantly in agriculture R&D and training activities for farmers under the auspices of Jain Hi-Tech Agri Institute (JHAI). Such strategic activities are likely to strengthen the company’s global reach in the fertigation & chemigation market.
Key players operating in the global fertigation & chemigation market include:
- Jain Irrigation Systems Limited
- Lindsay Corporation
- Rain Bird Corporation
- Valmont Industries, Inc.
- The Toro Company
Global Fertigation & Chemigation Market: Research Scope
Global Fertigation & Chemigation Market, by Input
Global Fertigation & Chemigation Market, by Crop Type
- Cereals & Grains
- Fruits & Vegetables
- Pulses & Oilseeds
- Turf & Ornamental
Global Fertigation & Chemigation Market, by Application
Global Fertigation & Chemigation Market, by Irrigation Type
- Sprinkler Irrigation
- Drip Irrigation
Global Fertigation & Chemigation Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.