Fertigation and Chemigation Market: Introduction
- Fertigation is the application of precise and equal amounts of fertilizers, nutrients, soil amendments, pesticides, and other water-soluble products through an irrigation system
- A similar application process, but of water-soluble chemicals such as pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides, is referred to as chemigation
- There is a strong connection between chemigation, fertigation, and irrigation, the goal being for each plant to receive a uniform quantity of water and additive. Fertigation and chemigation is the slow application of nutrients and water on or below the soil by surface drip, subsurface drip, bubbler, and micro-sprinkler systems.
- Fertigation and chemigation offer several advantages such as minimum wastage of water and minimal labor requirement. This provides the ability to guard against drought conditions.
- Fertigation is practiced extensively in commercial agriculture and horticulture. Fertigation is also increasingly being used for landscaping as dispenser units become more reliable and easier to use. Fertigation is used to add additional nutrients or to correct nutrient deficiencies detected in plant tissue analysis. It is usually practiced on high-value crops such as vegetables, turf, fruit trees, and ornamentals.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Fertigation and Chemigation Market
Increase in awareness about drip irrigation system is boosting the fertigation and chemigation market. Mostly, subsurface drip irrigation systems are used to augment fodder maize production. Government initiatives for optimum use of water resources in agriculture is driving the fertigation and chemigation Market. However, high cost is a factor that may restrict the market. The risk of chemigation and fertigation is the potential for accidental backflow of a chemical into the irrigation water source. This is negatively affecting the fertigation and chemigation market.
Fertigation and Chemigation Market: Application Segment
- Based on application, the market can be divided into agriculture irrigation, landscape irrigation, greenhouse irrigation, and others
- Agriculture irrigation is a technique of applying water into land or soil and has various uses such as agricultural crop growth, maintenance of landscapes, and revitalization of dry land area
- The utilization of fertigation and chemigation as an application for agriculture irrigation provides favorable results of equal nutrient and water distribution to crops so that the absorption of nutrients and water is at an optimum level. Irrigation in agriculture has been gaining momentum in Asian countries due to the changing climate and growing economies.
COVID-19 Impact on Global Fertigation and Chemigation Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Due to COVID-19 pandemic, farmers have faced a shortage of agricultural inputs such as fertilizers, seeds, and pesticides
- Despite qualifying as essential services during lockdowns in many countries, fertigation and chemigation agencies faced difficulties in securing equipment, inputs, and maintenance services. They also faced significant fiscal stress due to additional costs and lower revenues from both state transfers and tariffs. Furthermore, lack of accessibility to irrigation equipment was a major issue faced by farmers.
Europe to Hold Leading Share of Fertigation and Chemigation Market
- In terms of region, the fertigation and chemigation market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe is expected to hold major share of the global fertigation and chemigation market, followed by North America and Asia Pacific, during the forecast period
- Europe leads the fertigation and chemigation market in terms of revenue. Increase in population and rise in demand for a better quality of crops are driving the market in the region
- Awareness about the benefits of using fertigation and chemigation techniques is widespread in countries such as the U.K., France, Spain, and Germany
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Fertigation and Chemigation Market
The fertigation and chemigation market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the fertigation and chemigation market include:
- Valmont Industries, Inc.
- Jain Irrigation Systems Limited
- Rivulis Irrigation
- Rain Bird Corporation
- Nelson Irrigation Corporation
- The Toro Company
- Lindsay Corporation
- T-L Irrigation Co.
- EPC Industrie Limited
Fertigation and Chemigation: Research Scope
Fertigation and Chemigation Market, by Input Type
Fertigation and Chemigation Market, by Irrigation Type
Fertigation and Chemigation Market, by Application
- Agriculture Irrigation
- Landscape Irrigation
- Greenhouse Irrigation
Fertigation and Chemigation Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!