COVID-19 Impact on EV Battery Reuse Market
- The beginning of the FY 2020 witnessed the outbreak of coronavirus across the globe. The COVID-19 pandemic led to large-scale lockdowns across several countries, resulting in temporary shutdown of several business activities that hampered the EV battery reuse market.
- COVID-19 has impacted almost all industries across the world by disrupting supply chains and delaying various industrial operations. Most companies have halted their manufacturing activities.
- COVID-19-responsive measures undertaken by governments, such as lockdown and social distancing, led to the closure of manufacturing plants in the initial stage of the pandemic. Demand for various input products in the industrial sector declined significantly, as very few industrial operations were allowed to operate. The factors mentioned above restrained the market, as very few reuse of new electric vehicle batteries are expected to be deployed by these industries during the ongoing crisis.
Key Drivers and Restraints of EV Battery Reuse Market
- Consistent rise in sale of electric vehicles (EV) across the globe creates considerable opportunity for stationary storage powered by used EV batteries. In terms of battery type, the electric vehicle battery reuse market can be segmented into lithium-ion batteries, nickel-metal hydride batteries, and lead-acid batteries. Rise in demand for EV battery in the automotive industry is also expected to create significant opportunities for the EV battery reuse market in the near future.
- Considering of cost analysis, a crucial factor for evaluating and comparing the benefits of reusing end-of-first-life batteries is the cost development of new batteries to be manufactured. Therefore, the different paths of reusing those batteries need to be investigated in order to identify possible economic benefits as compared to that offered by new batteries. The comparison of both price trends is a key factor for the success of reusing batteries, since they would not only be ecologically attractive but also cost-effective. In the end, it is the end-user who would decide whether to go for a new battery or a reused one.
EV Battery Reuse Market: EV type Segment
- In terms of EV type, the electric vehicle battery reuse market can be classified into battery electric vehicle, fuel cell electric vehicle, hybrid electric vehicle, and plug-in hybrid electric vehicle
- Increasing demand for battery electric vehicle for eco-friendly mobility solutions to curb pollution levels and the availability of tax rebates are driving the market. Electric cars are provided with technologically advanced features to improve driver safety such as sensors, telematics systems, and cameras. Market players are focusing on the launch of electric cars integrated with advanced features to expand their customer base.
- A hybrid vehicle uses more than one type of power source. The most common types of hybrid vehicles use a combination of an electric motor and an internal combustion engine. Hybrid vehicles are designed for better fuel-efficiency, more power, and minimum emissions. Demand for hybrid vehicle is rising due to stringent emission regulation standards and an increase in the demand for low or zero-emission vehicles.
EV Battery Reuse Market: End-use Segment
- In terms of end-use, the electric vehicle battery reuse market can be split into passenger cars, commercial vehicles, energy storage and consumer electronics
- Increase in rate of adoption of public transportation is anticipated to drive the demand for commercial vehicles. Public transportation is often well-developed in urban areas and individuals find it cost-effective as compared to commuting by cars in terms of time and cost.
- Energy storage and consumer electronics market, which includes laptops, mobile phones, tablets, digital cameras, and eBook readers, is projected to expand in the medium term. Portable devices are also increasingly becoming multi-functional. This is transforming their power consumption levels and patterns. This trend toward multi-functionality has accelerated power consumption at a much faster rate than the main battery technologies have managed to improve.
Asia Pacific to Dominate EV Battery Reuse Market
- Based on region, the global EV battery reuse market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia dominates the global market, and China accounts for a major share of production, followed by Japan, Europe, and Korea
- China is estimated to maintain its dominance of the electric vehicle (EV) battery reuse market, as it is the world's largest EV market. Rise in number of EVs on the road is anticipated to increase the cost of key materials used in batteries.
- Rise in purchasing power along with shifting trends toward electric mobility is projected to propel the EV battery reuse market in Asia Pacific. China, Japan, South Korea, and India are expected to emerge as key markets for repurposed EV batteries owing to the increasing penetration of EVs in these countries.
- U.S. administration officials said they wants the U.S. to become the leading market for electric vehicles by stressing domestic battery recycling. The U.S. government is also looking for ways to reduce metal use in new battery chemistries through efforts in R&D.
Key Manufacturers Operating in EV Battery Reuse Market
The prominent market players profiled in the EV battery reuse industry report include
- GS Yuasa Corporation,
- Groupe PSA,
- LG Chem Ltd.,
- Samsung SDI Co., Ltd,
- BYD Co, Ltd.,
- Global Battery Solutions, Ltd.,
- Daimler AG amongst other.
EV Battery Reuse Market: Research Scope
EV Battery Reuse Market, by EV Type
- Battery electric
- Hybrid vehicle
EV Battery Reuse Market, by End-use
- Consumer Electronics
- Energy storage
EV Battery Reuse Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
EV Battery Reuse Market: Introduction
- EV batteries, also known as traction batteries, are used to power electric motors of electric vehicles. These batteries are usually rechargeable batteries, and are typically lithium-ion batteries. These batteries are specifically designed for a high ampere-hour capacity. The most common battery types used in electric vehicles are lithium-ion and lithium polymer, owing to their high energy density as compared to their weight.
- The EV battery reuse market is projected to expand due to a rise in the demand for energy across the globe. The technology is widely utilized in energy storage, base stations, low speed vehicles, and EV charging stations. Rising concerns about energy security coupled with cost saving potential is estimated to boost the adoption of EV battery reuse during the forecast period.
Disclaimer: This ongoing market research study is a meticulously planned activity where a broad array of factors and aspects that shape the marketing environment and industry are taken into account. However, keeping in mind the constantly changing nature of business dynamics and changing strategic intents, we are always actively making iterations and modifications in our approaches. As always, we are ready to tailor our insights and guidance to suit your requirements. Engage with us to know what more is there for your CXOs.