Ethyl Mercaptan: Introduction
- Ethyl mercaptan, also known as ethanethiol, is a compound with a distinct odor. It occurs naturally and may be added to odorless gaseous products such as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) to help to receive the warning of gas leakage.
- Ethyl mercaptan has a strongly disagreeable odor that humans can detect in minute concentrations. The threshold for human detection is as low as one part in 2.8 billion parts of air. Ethyl mercaptan is added to butane and propane to impart an easily noticeable smell to the normally odorless fuels.
- Ethanethiol is prepared by the reaction of ethylene with hydrogen sulfide over a catalyst. Various producers of ethyl mercaptan use different catalysts in this process. It is also prepared commercially by the reaction of ethanol with hydrogen sulfide gas over an acidic solid catalyst such as alumina. Ethyl mercaptan is also used as a binder stabilizer. For instance, Chevron Phillips Chemical produces ethyl mercaptan for usage as an ink and dye additive. It is an effective solvent in digital image processing.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Ethyl Mercaptan Market
- Usage of ethyl mercaptan in various end-use industries is projected to boost the demand for ethyl mercaptan during the forecast period. It is used as an intermediate and starting material in the manufacture of plastic, insecticides, and antioxidants; and as an odorant to serve as a warning property for natural gas.
- Its application as a warning agent is a major driver of the global ethyl mercaptan market. In the underground mining industry, ethanethiol or ethyl mercaptan is referred to as stench gas. The gas is released into mine ventilation systems to alert mine workers during an emergency.
- Its toxicity is a key factor restraining the global ethyl mercaptan market. Ethyl mercaptan is a central nervous system stimulant and also a strong odor-causing chemical. Hence, overexposure to ethyl mercaptan should be prevented and its concentration should be carefully controlled.
Ethyl Mercaptan: Product Segment
- Based on product, the ethyl mercaptan market can be segmented into ethanol (or ethylene) method, ethyl chloride method, anhydrous ethanol method, and others
- Ethyl mercaptan is a colorless or yellowish liquid or a gas with a pungent, garlic, or skunk-like odor
- The ethanol method segment is anticipated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period owing to the usage of the method in the manufacture of fungicides, pharmaceuticals, and other chemicals across the globe
COVID-19 Impact on Ethyl Mercaptan Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the ethyl mercaptan market.
North America to Dominate Ethyl Mercaptan Market
- In terms of region, the ethyl mercaptan market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The global market has expanded significantly over the last two decades. This trend is estimated to continue during the forecast period. North America held dominant position in the market in 2020. This trend is estimated to continue during the forecast period owing to the vast presence of chemical manufacturers in the region such as Chevron Phillips Chemical, The DOW Chemical Company, ExxonMobil, and PPG Industries.
- The market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand significantly during the forecast period, owing to growth of the agrochemicals industry in the region. According to the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry, India is the fourth-largest producer of agrochemicals globally, after the U.S., Japan, and China. Rise in demand for ethyl mercaptan in the agrochemical industry for usage in pesticides and insecticides is likely to boost the ethyl mercaptan market in Asia Pacific in the near future.
- High demand for ethyl mercaptan in the pharmaceutical sector in Europe is driving the market in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Ethyl Mercaptan Market
The ethyl mercaptan market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the ethyl mercaptan market include:
- Arkema S.A
- DowDuPont Inc.
- Chevron Phillips Chemical
- ATOFINA Chemicals Inc.
- Penta International
- Santa Cruz Biotechnology
- Sigma Aldrich
- PPG Industries
- Exxon Mobil
Ethyl Mercaptan Market: Research Scope
Ethyl Mercaptan Market, by Product
- Ethanol (or Ethylene)
- Ethyl Chloride
- Anhydrous Ethanol
Ethyl Mercaptan Market, by Application
- Pesticide Intermediates
- Warning Agents
Global Ethyl Mercaptan Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers' or customers' journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.
The following regional segments are covered comprehensively:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- The Middle East and Africa
The EIRS quadrant framework in the report sums up our wide spectrum of data-driven research and advisory for CXOs to help them make better decisions for their businesses and stay as leaders.
Below is a snapshot of these quadrants.
1. Customer Experience Map
The study offers an in-depth assessment of various customers’ journeys pertinent to the market and its segments. It offers various customer impressions about the products and service use. The analysis takes a closer look at their pain points and fears across various customer touchpoints. The consultation and business intelligence solutions will help interested stakeholders, including CXOs, define customer experience maps tailored to their needs. This will help them aim at boosting customer engagement with their brands.
2. Insights and Tools
The various insights in the study are based on elaborate cycles of primary and secondary research the analysts engage with during the course of research. The analysts and expert advisors at TMR adopt industry-wide, quantitative customer insights tools and market projection methodologies to arrive at results, which makes them reliable. The study not just offers estimations and projections, but also an uncluttered evaluation of these figures on the market dynamics. These insights merge data-driven research framework with qualitative consultations for business owners, CXOs, policy makers, and investors. The insights will also help their customers overcome their fears.
3. Actionable Results
The findings presented in this study by TMR are an indispensable guide for meeting all business priorities, including mission-critical ones. The results when implemented have shown tangible benefits to business stakeholders and industry entities to boost their performance. The results are tailored to fit the individual strategic framework. The study also illustrates some of the recent case studies on solving various problems by companies they faced in their consolidation journey.
4. Strategic Frameworks
The study equips businesses and anyone interested in the market to frame broad strategic frameworks. This has become more important than ever, given the current uncertainty due to COVID-19. The study deliberates on consultations to overcome various such past disruptions and foresees new ones to boost the preparedness. The frameworks help businesses plan their strategic alignments for recovery from such disruptive trends. Further, analysts at TMR helps you break down the complex scenario and bring resiliency in uncertain times.
The report sheds light on various aspects and answers pertinent questions on the market. Some of the important ones are:
1. What can be the best investment choices for venturing into new product and service lines?
2. What value propositions should businesses aim at while making new research and development funding?
3. Which regulations will be most helpful for stakeholders to boost their supply chain network?
4. Which regions might see the demand maturing in certain segments in near future?
5. What are the some of the best cost optimization strategies with vendors that some well-entrenched players have gained success with?
6. Which are the key perspectives that the C-suite are leveraging to move businesses to new growth trajectory?
7. Which government regulations might challenge the status of key regional markets?
8. How will the emerging political and economic scenario affect opportunities in key growth areas?
9. What are some of the value-grab opportunities in various segments?
10. What will be the barrier to entry for new players in the market?
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.