Epigenetics Service Market: Introduction
- Epigenetics is the study of heritable changes in gene function that do not involve changes in DNA sequence, such as chromosome changes, and are phenotypic in nature. Heritable changes can be caused by external factors, such as environmental factors or internal factors, such as age, disease, and others. DNA methylation and histone modification are examples of epigenetics, which alter gene expression without changing the DNA sequence.
- The global epigenetics service market was valued at US$ 0.85 Bn in 2016 and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 13.3% from 2017 to 2022. The decrease in sequencing costs, increased research activities, growth in funding for epigenetics research, rising cancer prevalence, and growing applications of epigenetics in non-oncology diseases contribute to the growth of the global market.
Global Epigenetics Service Market: Key Trends
- There has been a significant increase in cancer patients around the world. According to WHO estimates, the number of cancer patients is expected to rise from 14.1 million in 2012 to 19.3 million by 2025. Cancer is the second-most common cause of death in the U.S., accounting for nearly one out of every four deaths. According to the American Cancer Society, the number of new cancer cases in the U.S. is expected to rise dramatically.
- Cancer’s resistance to treatment is a serious obstacle. However, epigenetic drugs, either alone or in combination with other medications, can be a viable option. The epigenetic drug used in the laboratory study inhibits cancer cells' ability to hide from the immune system, making the tumours vulnerable. The rising prevalence of cancer is expected to fuel the epigenetics service market.
- Chronic kidney disease pathogenesis is caused by DNA methylation, abnormal histone alterations, and changes in microRNA expression. Epigenetic factors also play an important role in this. The epigenetics service market is rapidly expanding as the number of kidney transplants increase globally.
- Birth defects have become common, costly, and more importantly, life-threatening. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one in every 33 babies in the U.S. is born with a birth defect, and these defects are the leading cause of 20% of infant deaths (CDC). Evidently, epigenetics is useful in the diagnosis and treatment of these birth defects because it aids in the establishment of the molecular basis for gene-environment interactions. The use of epigenetics in the treatment of birth defects is still being researched. However, the future anticipates a greater use of epigenetics in the treatment of birth defects, which is a key driver of the epigenetics service market.
- The epigenetics service market is expected to expand significantly during the forecast period owing to increased cancer prevalence, growth in funding for R&D activities, increased collaboration between academic, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology companies for epigenetics studies, and rise in application of epigenetics in non-oncology diseases. However, the high cost of instruments and the lack of trained professionals are factors hindering the market. However, opportunities in emerging economies provide market participants with attractive options.
North America to Capture Major Share of Global Epigenetics Service Market
- North America dominates the global epigenetics service market due to rapid developments in healthcare infrastructure, the presence of major players in the region, and massive R&D investments. As industries increase their investments in R&D of products, the demand for protein expression systems is expected to rise, as many mammalian proteins, such as growth hormone, insulin, antibodies, and vaccines, are produced industrially. The U.S. is the world's largest investor on healthcare research. Recently, biopharmaceutical sales accounted for 30% of all new pharmaceutical sales in the country. All of these factors are expected to contribute to the market's growth.
- Asia Pacific is estimated to register the fastest growth rate during the forecast period owing to rising disposable income, high unmet clinical needs of patients, rising awareness about early diagnosis, and availability of effective treatment in emerging countries, such as India and China. Asia Pacific is the most promising destination for market players due to increasing cases of types of cancers in this region.
Key Players Operating in Global Epigenetics Service Market:
- Thermo Fisher
- Active Motif
- Merck Millipore
- New England Biolabs
- Zymo Research
- Other prominent players
Global Epigenetics Service Market: Research Scope
Global Epigenetics Service Market, by Product
- DNA-modifying Enzymes
- Protein-modifying Enzymes
- RNA-modifying Enzymes
- Instruments and Consumables
- Next-generation Sequencers
- Mass Spectrometers
- Bisulfite Conversion Kits
- ChIP-sequencing Kits
- RNA Sequencing Kits
- Whole Genomic Amplification Kits
- 5-hmC and 5-mC Analysis Kits
- Magnetic Beads
- Bioinformatics Tools
Global Epigenetics Service Market, by Application
- Metabolic Diseases
- Development Biology
- Cardiovascular Diseases
Global Epigenetics Service Market, by Technology
- DNA Methylation
- Histone Modification
Global Epigenetics Service Market, by End-user
- Academic and Research institutes
- Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies
- Contract Research Organization (CRO)
Global Epigenetics Service Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- GCC Countries
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa