Environmental Control System (ECS) Market: Overview
- Environmental Control System (ECS) performs a significant number of tasks including pressurizing and ventilating the cabin; and controlling the pressure and temperature onboard in aircraft. The ECS toolkit allows performance analysis and dynamic simulation of the ECS and other pneumatic systems of the aircraft.
- Different sub-systems such as air-cooling unit, bleed system, or control systems can be quickly modeled and simulated. A user can easily customize the cabin model, in terms of number of zones and nodes as well as distribution of passengers in the cabin. ECS in combination with ECLSS toolkit can also be used for simulating different treatment processes of recirculated air in order to reduce the amount of fresh air required.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Environmental Control System (ECS) Market
- The commercial aviation industry has been expanding significantly over the past decade. Airlines in developed as well as developing countries are increasingly ordering a number of aircraft to meet the constantly rising demand for air travel. The need for air travel is increasing significantly led by the continuously rising disposable income of consumers in developing and developed regions across the globe. Commercial air traffic is anticipated to maintain a constant growth rate over the next few years, despite different challenges such as rising aviation fuel costs and technical faults.
- Globally, the maximum revenue generating region is anticipated to be Asia Pacific owing to the rising passenger count in China, India, Indonesia, and Japan. China and India are anticipated to account for about 44% of the global air passenger trips in the near future. However, existing backlogs in aircraft deliveries is a major restraint of the ECS market.
Global Environmental Control System (ECS) Market: Segmentation
- The global ECS market can be segmented based on end-user, platform type, and system
- Based on end-user, the global ECS market can be segmented into defense and commercial. The defense segment is projected to expand at a fast-paced CAGR during the forecast period owing to significant investments being made by the U.S. Defense to improve its battlefield capabilities.
- Based on platform type, the global ECS market can be divided into fixed wing and rotary wing. The fixed wing segment is projected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period.
- Based on system, the global ECS market can be classified into air supply & management system, thermal management & control system, and cabin pressure & control system. The thermal management & control system segment is estimated to lead the ECS market during the forecast period. Rise in demand for these systems can be ascribed to the increasing amount of heat loads from various avionics functionalities, ECS architecture, and high-temperature sensitivity of composite material systems vis-à-vis traditional metallic designs.
Global Environmental Control System (ECS) Market: Regional Segmentation
- In terms of region, the global ECS market can be split into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The ECS market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a faster pace during the forecast period driven by the increasing air passenger traffic in the region. Rise in disposable income of the people and growth in air passenger traffic have boosted the demand for new aircraft in the region. In turn, this is fueling the demand for ECS.
COVID-19 Impact on Global Environmental Control System (ECS) Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has adversely affected the global ECS market. According to IATA, international passenger demand stood at 75.6% in 2020, i.e. below the 2019 level. Capacity (measured in available seat kilometers or ASKs) declined by 68.1% and load factor fell by 19.2 percentage points to 62.8%. However, rise in demand for commercial airlines after the lifting of lockdowns in different countries across the globe promises market recovery in the short term.
Key Players in Market
The ECS market is consolidated, with companies focusing on integrating advanced technologies to increase their market share. Companies are offering a complete portfolio of products. They are focusing on various business strategies to strengthen their position in the market.
Key players operating in the global market are:
- Liebherr International
- Honeywell International
- Curtiss Wright Corporation
- United Technologies Corporation
- Mecaer Aviation Group
- Jormac Aerospace
- PBS Velka Bites
- Aero Space Controls Corporation
- Fimac Spa
- Air Innovations
Global Environmental Control System (ECS) Market: Research Scope
Global Environmental Control System (ECS) Market, by End-user
Global Environmental Control System (ECS) Market, by Platform Type
Global Environmental Control System (ECS) Market, by System
- Air Supply & Management System
- Thermal Management & Control System
- Cabin Pressure & Control System
Global Environmental Control System (ECS) Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!