Encapsulated O-rings: Introduction
- Encapsulated O-rings are specially developed seals consisting of a uniform PTFE FEP/PFA jacket, which completely encloses a core material Viton fluoroelastomer (FKM) or silicone
- Encapsulated O-rings are available in two different types of core: solid core and hollow core. These are designed for different applications. Solid core rings are usually preferred owing to their excellent resistance to compression set and good recovery characteristics. Hollow core contains a circular gap within its structure in order to provide effective sealing for situations where a more flexible, easier-to-squeeze O-ring is needed.
- Encapsulated O-rings core material can be made up of silicone, stainless steel spring, or FKM core. FKM core offers better chemicals and compression set resistance in comparison to silicone core, thus resulting in longer lasting sealing in some applications. However, at a colder temperature, silicone core would be recommended as silicone stays flexible at the lowest temperatures of all elastomers, without noticeable change in its properties.
- Manufacturers employ FEP (fluorinated ethylene propylene) or PFA (Perfluoroalkoxycopolymer) outer jacket materials to cover the FKM/silicone/EPDM/stainless steel spring core material. FEP has low coefficient of friction & compression set and can resist chemicals. However, in comparison to PFA material, FEP exhibits lower mechanical strength and operates at a temperature range of -60 °C to +205 °C. PFA material can resist a wide range of corrosive chemicals such as alcohol, naphtha, acid, petroleum, and aromatic solvents. PFA jacket material can operate at a temperature range of -60 °C to +260 °C. Service life of FEP is slightly shorter as compared to PFA. FEP are generally lower in cost too.
Key Drivers of Encapsulated O-rings Market
- Encapsulated O-rings are used as sealing materials for high pressure applications in chemical, pharmaceutical, and other end-use industries. Demand for encapsulated O-rings has been rising due to the skyrocketing pace of advancement in the pharmaceutical industry. It has lately come to light that the chemical industry is among the largest industrial consumers of encapsulated O-rings across the world. Use of hostile chemicals or extreme temperature can damage traditional rubber O-Ring seals. This makes sealing process very difficult. Encapsulated O-rings are used to provide highly effective and long lasting seal to counter the growing issue of sealing in the most hostile chemical and temperature environments. This is also expected to propel the demand for encapsulated O-rings in the next few years.
- Encapsulated O-rings are also used in the field of petrochemicals. In addition to the resistance to aggressive chemicals, encapsulated O-rings must withstand high temperatures and pressures. During steam cracking process, temperature continues to rise at a level of 800°C. The real challenge for encapsulated O-rings arises when temperature suddenly changes owing to subsequent cooling of the gas. Encapsulated O-rings can easily withstand these temperature changes and increase in pressure during the compression of the cracking gas. Thus, they are ideal for usage as sealing materials.
Key Restraint of Encapsulated O-rings Market
- Encapsulated O-rings have certain limitations that can hamper the market. For instance, the outer jacket material of O-rings is susceptible to scratching. Hence, it is not recommended to use in applications containing abrasive slurries or powders. Encapsulated O-rings are also ideal for static applications or slow moving rotary applications. However, they are not suitable for highly dynamic systems. This can hamper the encapsulated O-rings market.
Covid-19 Impact on Encapsulated O-rings Market
- The COVID-19 pandemic has severely impacted end-use industries of encapsulated O-rings. Chemical, petrochemical, oil & gas, and automotive are among the worst-hit industries by the pandemic. On the other hand, food & beverage and pharmaceutical industries have been experiencing the least impact of the pandemic.
Asia Pacific to Hold Significant Share of Global Encapsulated O-rings Market
- In terms of region, the global encapsulated O-rings market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The encapsulated O-rings market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period owing to growth in the manufacturing industry in countries such as India and Vietnam
- The market in Europe and North America is estimated to expand at a sluggish pace in the next few years owing to higher manufacturing cost, while the market in Middle East & Africa and Latin America is driven by recent economic developments and rise in investments in chemical, petrochemicals and pharmaceutical industries
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Key players operating in the global encapsulated O-rings market include:
- Daemar Inc.
- ERIKS NV
- Freudenberg Group
- James Walker Group Ltd.
- M-Cor Inc.
- Monroe Engineering Products
- Northern Engineering (Sheffield) Ltd.
- ROW, INC.
- Trelleborg AB
- Vulcan Engineering Limited.
Global Encapsulated O-rings Market: Research Scope
Global Encapsulated O-rings Market, by Structure
Global Encapsulated O-rings Market, by Jacket Material
- Perfluoroalkoxycopolymer (PFA)
- Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene (FEP)
Global Encapsulated O-rings Market, by Core Material
- FKM (fluorocarbon)
- Stainless Steel Spring
- Others (EPDM etc.)
Global Encapsulated O-rings Market, by End-use Industry
- Food & Beverages
Global Encapsulated O-rings Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!