Electronic Textiles: Introduction
- Electronic textile is a fabric developed with electronic components in it to enable conductivity and use of various technologies. Electronic components make the systems capable of sensing, heating, lighting, or transmitting data.
- Electronic textiles may be embedded with sensor, batteries, LEDs, and hands-free computing devices, depending on the fabric’s purpose. Application of electronic textiles, such as interior design technologies, also rely on integrating electronic components into the fabric or fibers.
- The e-textiles global market is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, as it has an important role to play in the field of medicine, safety, sports, and protection
Key Drivers and Opportunities of the Global Electronic Textiles Market
- Textiles are an integral, evolving part of our daily lives. The concept of e-textiles has been around for decades; however, the market has not yet reached the mass scale tipping point due to increasing commercial focus and remains a long way behind the adoption rates witnessed by other wearables.
- Smart medical devices is a highly promising application of e-textiles. Sensors in the fabric could monitor a patient’s respiration, heart rate, pulse and blood pressure, record data, and notify a caregiver if signs of issues are detected that require attention.
- Another example are of touch buttons that are constructed in textile forms by using conducting textile weaves, which connect to devices such as a music player or LEDs that are mounted on woven fiber networks to form displays
- Some e-textile designs support wearable computing technologies, while others add new functionality to non-technical applications. Projects are being pursued based on various kinds of functionality in the relatively new industry. Some electronic textile products may only be fabricated for data storage, while others provide physical interfaces through control elements in the garment design.
- Some experts talk about the difference between embedding electronic devices into the fabric and layering conductive electronics into textiles to make the fabric into a computer. For instance, some projects in the works include a musical jacket that uses MIDI and other technologies to provide garments that generate electronic music.
- Electronic textiles have been emerging as solutions to serve humanity in terms of comfort, making life easy, and addressing safety issues. Industrial-scale production of new generation technology, such as wearable electronic textiles, needs thorough academic industry discussion and collaborations. Washing performance is a critical commercial factor, as single use is an expensive proposition. Industrial production of new-generation technologies for wearable electronics needs to be further considered as a new potential research area since the mass production of e-textiles is still a challenging issue and has not been discovered.
- Overall, the electronic textiles market looks promising during the forecast period
Europe to Hold Major Share of the Global Electronic Textiles Market
- In terms of geography, the global electronic textiles market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America
- Europe is estimated to hold a major share of the global electronic textiles market, followed by North America and Asia Pacific. The market in Asia Pacific is estimated to expand at a rapid pace due to emerging economies and improved standard of living in the region. The market in Middle East & Africa and South America is likely to experience tepid growth during the forecast period due to dip in financial activities and change in consumer spending behavior due to coronavirus.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
Major players operating in the global electronic textiles market include:
- Adidas AG
- Apple Inc.
- Bio Serenity SAS
- Conductive Transfers Limited
- Descente Ltd.
- Devan Chemicals N.V.
- Fibretronic Ltd.
- Fujitsu Limited
- Interactive Wear AG
- Nike, Inc.
Global Electronic Textiles Market: Research Scope
Global Electronic Textiles Market, by Type
- Embedded e-textiles
- Laminated e-textiles
Global Electronic Textiles Market, by Material
- Shape memory alloys
- Piezoelectric materials
- Chromic materials
- Nano-materials and microfibers
- Thermo-chromic inks
- Others (Photo-chromic, etc.)
Global Electronic Textiles Market, by Price
Global Electronic Textiles Market, by Application
- Home & Lifestyle
- Industrial & Commercial
- Medical & Healthcare
- Sports & Fitness
- Others (Wellness, etc.)
Global Electronic Textiles Market, by Distribution Channel
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!