Electrolytic Capacitors: Introduction
- An electrolytic capacitor, also called e-cap, is a polarized capacitor. In this capacitor, one plate is coated through electrolysis with an oxide to act as a dielectric, while the other plate is replaced by an electrolyte.
- Solid, liquid, or gel electrolytes can be used as the cathode or negative plate in these capacitors, which protects the oxide layer. Generally, electrolytic capacitors can bear products with higher capacitance-voltage (CV) per unit volume than ceramic capacitors or film capacitors, as they have higher capacitance values due to thin dielectric oxide layer and enlarged anode surface.
- Primarily, families of electrolytic capacitors can be classified into three types i.e. aluminum electrolytic capacitors, tantalum electrolytic capacitors, and niobium electrolytic capacitors
- The global electrolytic capacitor market is driven by the rising demand for high-quality capacitors in telecommunication, medical electronics, and automotive industries. Growing trend of miniaturization of electronic devices is another factor likely to fuel the global market for electrolytic capacitors during the forecast period.
Rise in Demand for Electrolytic Capacitors due to High Capacitance Value
- Electrolytic capacitors are highly reliable and stable passive components. They are used in different commercial, industrial, and medical applications. This is primarily attributable to their capacity to withstand high temperatures. Electrolytic capacitors can operate at a wide range of operating temperatures. They can withstand temperatures of up to 250°C, with good stability and extremely high insulation resistance.
- As compared to most high-temperature capacitors available in the marketplace, electrolytic capacitors have the most impressive leakage current-temperature features. Moreover, dielectric materials used in them can offer remarkable insulation resistance, which makes these capacitors a suitable choice for use in blocking, coupling, and timing circuits.
- Additionally, electrolytic capacitors are popular for use in several applications that require steady performance in harsh environments such as jet aircraft engine control, automotive ignition, down-hole oil logging and exploration, and avionics or military applications
- Electrolytic capacitors are commercially available in different sizes and temperature ratings. End-users can easily purchase their product-specific capacitor through different sales channels.
Aerospace & Defense Segment to Offer Lucrative Opportunities
- Use of modern packaging technology in capacitors has resulted in commercially available parts with higher seals as compared to the electrolytic types of yesteryear. These capacitors are being largely used in aircraft and jets. However, even the newer components lose some amount of electrolytes over time and concerns about dry-out persist.
- Military and aerospace engineers are integrating COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) parts wherever appropriate, but they tend to favor electrolytic capacitors with tight seals and true hermetic capacitors, including hermetic wet tantalum capacitors, for mission-critical applications.
- Aluminum electrolytic capacitors have been adopted in military and aerospace applications, largely due to their highly reliable seals, long life, space-saving property, and flat form. Over the last two decades, they have been used extensively in power supplies for military and commercial aircraft as well as ground-based and ship-board radar systems.
- Thus, the aerospace & defense end-use segment of the global electrolytic capacitors market is expected to register the most rapid growth rate during the forecast period
Asia Pacific to Lead Global Electrolytic Capacitor Market
- In terms of region, the global electrolytic capacitor market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The electrolytic capacitor market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at the maximum CAGR during the forecast period. This growth can be attributed to the large number of manufacturers operating in the region, growth of consumer and electronics industries, and rise in the expenditure on manufacture of electronic components in Asia Pacific. Countries such as China, South Korea, and Japan are among the leading exporters of consumer electronics products in the world. Thus, manufacturers of electrolytic capacitors operating in the region are expecting increase in the demand for their products.
- The electrolytic capacitor market in North America and Europe is likely to witness stagnant growth between 2019 and 2027. The market in South America and Middle East & Africa is estimated to witness sluggish growth during the forecast period.
Key Players in Global Market
The global electrolytic capacitor market was highly fragmented in 2018. Prominent players operating in the global market are focusing on technological advancements and expansions to meet the rising demand for electrolytic capacitors. Moreover, manufacturers are entering into partnerships for the development of innovative products and to gain higher profit margins.
Key players operating in the global electrolytic capacitor market are:
- Nippon Chemi-Con Corporation
- NICHICON CORPORATION
- Jianghai Capacitor Co., Ltd
- Rubycon Corporation
- Panasonic Corporation
- SamYoung Electronic Co. Ltd.
- Lelon Electronics Corp.
Global Electrolytic Capacitor Market: Research Scope
Global Electrolytic Capacitor Market, by Type
- Chip Type
- Miniature Type
- Large Can Type
- Conductive Polymer Aluminum Solid
- Conductive Polymer Hybrid
Global Electrolytic Capacitor Market, by End-use Industry
- Consumer Electronics
- Industrial Electronics & Lighting
- Computer & Telecommunications
- Aerospace & Defense
Global Electrolytic Capacitor Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa