Edible Casing: Market Outlook
Growing population is one of the key factor leading to rapid urbanization thus exposing consumers to wide choices and availability of sausages within the urban environment. This urbanization trend has greatly affected the standard of living positively and rising income levels has, in turn, influenced the affordability of sausage and processed meat products. A casing is a layer covering the product to protect it from the environment. A casing is a common term used for covering various substances like decorative molding, covering over sausages, topsoil layer covering during the fruiting stage, mushroom production, and others. A casing is of two types- edible casing and non-edible casing. Edible casing includes thin covering over the food contents of sausages. Sausage casing is the cover for the filings in sausages. Artificial edible casing is prepared from collagen, cellulose, plastic vegetarian casing. Natural sausage casing is prepared from the skin of cattle by that of an artificial casing is made up of plastic. Natural edible casing are traditional products that have been used in the production of meat specialties for centuries. A new innovation is been going on for preparation of “100% vegetarian casing” which is expected to contribute towards the growing market share of edible casing.
Edible Casing Market: Reasons for Covering this Title
Going vegan is one of the biggest food trends currently. Consumers across the globe are preferring vegan food products which has pushed the manufacturers of edible casing to focus on the natural based edible casing. Also, increasing consumer shift from starch based diet to protein based diets has further strengthened the market for protein-based edible casing across the globe. For example, in 2013, Viscofan, which is one of the global players in the edible casing manufacturing opened a factory in China for processing of cattle and pig hides into artificial collagen casings. Also, there is a steady increase in the demand for edible collagen casing over past few years, especially from the Asia Pacific region. China continues to be one of the prominent leaders in the edible casing market in Asia Pacific market. This growth is coupled with improvement in the availability of sausage and processed meat products over the globe thus leading to rising meat consumption in both developed and emerging markets. This has further strengthened the global edible casing market currently.
Global Edible Casing: Market Segmentation
On the basis of nature, the global edible casing market has been segmented as –
- Natural Edible Casing
- Artificial Edible Casing
On the basis of product type, the global edible casing market has been segmented as –
- Fresh Edible Casing
- Processed Edible Casing
On the basis of end use, the global edible casing market has been segmented as –
- Convenience Stores
- Specialty Stores
Global Edible Casing Market: Key Players
Some of the key players operating in the global edible casing market are VISKOTEEPAK, Devro plc., Viscofan, FABIOS S.A., EDIBLE CASING, S.L, Ascona Foods Group Canada, Shenguan Holdings (Group) Limited, Nitta Casings Inc., Fcase Spó?ka z ograniczon? odpowiedzialno?ci? , Stuffers Supply Company, FIBRAN, S.A., Nassau Foods, Inc., Innovia Films Limited , Os?onki jadalne Fcase among others.
- On 22nd February 2018, Viscofan Group, which is a Spanish based company signed an agreement to acquire Transform Pack Inc., a Canadian based manufacturer of innovative products with value-added technology for packaging material that applies countless formulations to a wide range of packaging material and casings. For example, the company is equipped with the Seasoned Transfer Technology which is used to transfer ingredients including, species, flavors and colors to cold meats and other meat products.
- In Feburary 2015, FMC Corporation, one of the major American chemical manufacturing company launched its range of new alginate-based sausage edible casing solutions. The alginate based casing solutions offer superior casing with improved performance and functionality thus resulting in considerable cost cutting for sausage manufacturers.
Opportunities for Market Participants
Changing food habits and increasing consumer preference for western style chilled processed meat especially in the emerging market has created accelerated market opportunity for meat products in the artificial casing market. Furthermore, rapid growth of edible collagen in the Latin American countries attributable to improved economic condition and increasing meat consumption has strongly contributed towards the market growth of edible casing.
Brief Approach to Research
A modelling-based approach and triangulation methodology will be followed to estimate data covered in this report. A detailed market understanding and assessment of the applications, types, forms and end uses of the product segments covered in the study is followed by carrying out a demand-side approach to estimate the sales of target product segments, which is then cross-referenced with a supply-side assessment of value generated over a pre-defined period. The statistics and data is collected at a regional level, consolidated and synthesized at a global level to estimate the overall market sizes.
Key Data Points Covered in the Report
Some of the key data points covered in our report include:
- An overview of the edible casing market, including background and evolution
- Macroeconomic factors affecting the edible casing market and its potential
- Market dynamics, such as drivers, challenges and trends
- Detailed value chain analysis of the edible casing market
- Cost structure of the products and segments covered in the global edible casing market
- In-depth pricing analysis, by key product segments, regions and by major edible casing market participants
- Analysis of supply and demand, such as top producing and consuming geographies, imports/exports and overall trade scenario in the global edible casing market
- Analysis of the global edible casing market structure, including a tier-wise categorization of key edible casing market participants
- Competitive landscape of the market, including detailed profiles of the top players in the edible casing market
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.