Dual Rotor Wind Turbine: Introduction
- Dual rotor wind turbine consists of two rotor systems on the same tower positioned horizontally at upwind and downwind locations, and a generator installed vertically inside the tower
- Dual rotor wind turbine is designed by using two rotor systems on the same shaft that rotate in the same direction. The right-angle drive in the nacelle turns a drive shaft to transmit power down tower to generators mounted at the base of the turbine.
- Dual rotor wind turbine needs to be mounted on a vertical axis on the highest point in a house or building. It consists of two rotors with three blades 120 degree away from each other so that there is space between the two rotors, the blade geometry, and the turbine design.
- Dual rotor wind turbine is used to improve the maximum power coefficient of a wind turbine. Additionally, dual rotor wind turbine has the advantage of extra energy capture. The wind energy that is wasted by the front rotor can be used by the rear rotor. Thus, double torque from front and rear rotor is achieved.
Key Drivers of Global Dual Rotor Wind Turbine Market
- Dual rotor wind turbine can be used to mitigate the wake losses caused by mixing of air. It can also be used to improve turbine performance and wind farm efficiency. Wake losses in wind farms resulting from the ingestion of upstream turbine wakes by downstream turbines range between 8% to 40% of wind energy harvesting efficiency. Thus, dual rotor wind turbines help minimize wake losses. This is expected to boost the global dual rotor wind turbine market during the forecast period.
- The world is shifting toward the use renewable energy sources, such as wind, solar, and geothermal, in order to achieve development in an environmentally sustainable manner. Consequently, investments in the renewable energy sector have increased significantly. This, in turn, is projected to augment the demand for dual rotor wind turbine in the near future.
- Ambitious national targets, rapid technological advancements, and international agreements have prompted countries across the world to turn toward the renewable energy sector and upgrade their power infrastructure. This is anticipated to augment the global dual rotor wind turbine market between 2020 and 2030.
Restraints of Global Dual Rotor Wind Turbine Market
- The design of dual rotor wind turbine has complications. The size of the gearbox is also more than single rotor wind turbine. Thus, the cost of dual rotor wind turbine is high. However, research has proved that about 5% increase in efficiency in dual rotor wind turbine would reduce the payback period. Thus, increase in cost of dual rotor wind turbine is estimated to hamper the global dual rotor wind turbine market.
- In July 2017, Airgenesis LLC, a Canada-based company involved in designing of double rotor wind turbines, announced that it had formed a new partnership with investment firm M2Miling Investments Ltd. from Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Under the partnership, the two companies will manufacture and distribute the M2Y6Y 5 MW double-rotor wind turbine globally. According to Airgenesis LLC, its turbine design uses two rotors of equal diameter at a 30-degree offset.
- In June 2017, the world's first twin rotor floating wind turbine was moored and hooked up at a testing site in the Atlantic Ocean off the Spanish island of Gran Canaria in Spain. The 1:6 scale W2Power prototype, built at the Astican shipyard in Las Palmas, is ready to be trialed at the PLOCAN marine testing center by a development consortium led by EnerOcean.
Europe to Hold Major Share of Global Dual Rotor Wind Turbine Market
- Based on region, the global dual rotor wind turbine market can be classified into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe is expected to be a key region of the global dual rotor wind turbine market from 2020 to 2030. High investments in renewable energy generation and increase in government subsidies are likely to drive the market in the region between 2020 and 2030
- Europe is also considered a pioneer in offshore wind energy. The region has the oldest offshore facilities. This offers significant opportunities to players in the dual rotor wind turbine manufacturing sector of wind turbines.
- The dual rotor wind turbine market in Middle East & Africa is estimated to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period, owing to extensive agricultural land and attempts to reduce the use of fossil fuel energy in the region. Government initiatives for pollution-free and clean energy are also expected to drive the dual rotor wind turbine market in the region during the forecast period.
- On the other hand, the size of the U.S. dual rotor wind turbine market is projected to double by the end of the forecast period. Renewable energy projects in the U.S. are likely to benefit from multi-year federal tax incentives and several state-level favorable policies for solar energy in the next few years.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- The global economy has been hampered by the measures put in place to contain the COVID-19 pandemic. The wind power industry is estimated to face immediate challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic such as difficulty in adhering to the social distancing norms, shortage of manpower, lack of demand & supply, and discerning expenditure by end-users.
- Key players operating in the market must ensure adequate liquidity to sustain in the market. This would help companies recover sooner from the COVID-19 crisis.
Prominent Players Operating in Global Market
- Airgenesis LLC is the major player operating in the global dual rotor wind turbine market
Global Dual Rotor Wind Turbine Market, by Turbine Size
Global Dual Rotor Wind Turbine Market, by Site