Distribution Automation Solutions: Introduction
- Distribution automation solutions are used to control, monitor, maintain, and protect the distribution network. Distribution automation provides real-time information regarding components of the distribution grid such as fault detectors, voltage regulators, switches, reclosers, capacitor bank controllers, smart relays, and others.
- Distribution automation solutions help optimize and improve the utility operations of its distribution power system
- Rise in renewable power generation and increase in upgrade of aging distribution infrastructure are key factors driving the distribution automation market
- The global distribution automation solutions market is projected to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, due to a rise in the need to improve operational performance and operating efficiency of the distribution network
Global Distribution Automation Solutions Market: Dynamics
Global Distribution Automation Solutions Market: Key Drivers
- Rise in demand for energy due to an increase in population and increase in need for real-time analysis of power distribution in utility are boosting the distribution automation solutions market
- Rising implementation of automation in utility grids to optimize power utilization and reduce the overall downtime also fuels the demand for distribution automation solutions
- Increase in utilization of wireless technology in distribution automation due to its benefits, such as easy accessibility of data from remote locations and reduction in maintenance costs, is likely to propel the market
- However, a lack of standardization and high initial installation cost are anticipated to hamper the global distribution automation solutions market during the forecast period.
- Advancement in communication technologies, increase in investment to enhance grid infrastructure, and implementation of IoT are expected to provide significant opportunities for the distribution automation solutions market in the next few years.
Impact of COVID-19 on Global Distribution Automation Solutions Market
- Increase in cases of COVID-19 across the globe is leading to an economic slowdown. Demand for digital solutions is increasing across all sectors around the globe. Moreover, utility companies are consistently focused on keeping their assets safe and providing reliable supplies of electricity during the COVID-19 crisis. Increase in incidence of power outage and aging power infrastructure are driving the distribution automation solutions market during this pandemic. Demand for distribution automation solutions is rising in order to fulfill the requirement. This is expected to have a moderate impact on the distribution automation solutions market.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Global Distribution Automation Solutions Market
- In terms of region, the global distribution automation solutions market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America
- Asia Pacific dominated the global distribution automation solutions market. Asia Pacific is expected to witness high demand due to a rise in the demand for energy and increase in investment in smart grid projects. China, India, and Japan are key countries for the distribution automation solutions market in Asia Pacific.
- North America is projected to hold second-largest market share, after APAC. Developed economies, such as the U.S. and Canada, are likely to witness significant demand in the region. Implementation of automation and communication technologies is estimated to further drive the market in North America during the forecast period.
Global Distribution Automation Solutions Market: Competition Landscape
Several players are active in the distribution automation solutions market with a strong presence. Major players dominating the distribution automation solutions market. Vendors of distribution automation solutions are focused on various growth strategies such as partnerships, mergers & acquisitions, collaborations, new product launches, and business expansions to strengthen their geographic presence and solutions portfolios in order to cater to the needs of the market. For instance, in March 2020, ABB launched an upgraded version of the protection relay REX640. This relay enhanced the flexibility and communication security in advanced power generation and distribution applications.
Key players operating in global distribution automation solutions market include:
- General Electric Company
- Eaton Corporation
- Schneider Electric
- Siemens AG
- Hubbell Incorporated
- Mitsubishi Electric
- CE Power Engineered Services
- S&C Electric Company
- Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories
- Beckwith Electric
- Trilliant Holdings
- G&W Electric
- CG Power and Industrial Solutions Ltd.
- Cisco Systems Inc.
- Emerson Electric Co.
- Hitachi Ltd.
Global Distribution Automation Solutions Market: Research Scope
Global Distribution Automation Solutions Market, by Component
- Field Devices
- Remote Fault Indicators
- Smart Relays
- Automated Feeder Switches/Reclosers
- Automated Capacitors
- Automated Voltage Regulators
- Automated Feeder Monitors
- Transformer Monitors
- Remote Terminal Units
- Integration & Implementation
- Support & Maintenance
Global Distribution Automation Solutions Market, by Communication Technology
Global Distribution Automation Solutions Market, by Utility
Global Distribution Automation Solutions Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
- South America
- Rest of South America
Interested in this report?
Get a FREE Brochure now!