Distillers Corn Oil: Introduction
The distillers corn oil is the main by-product of the ethanol production from the maize grain. This by-product was initially used in the animal feed. This is because the distillers corn oil is a rich source of linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid, and is thus used as a fat feed in the poultry and swine industry. But, nowadays the distillers corn oil has become a popular feedstock for the production of biodiesel.
The distillers corn oil is produced during the ethanol production. During ethanol production, corn is fermented to form ethanol. The ethanol is then boiled off leaving the rest of the distilled mixture in the bottom. This mixture is either dried off for further processing into distilled corn oil or is used directly. Based on this, the distillation type of the distillers corn oil is decided.
Distillers Corn Oil – a popular feedstock for biodiesel in the recent years
The distillers corn oil was previously utilized in animal feed. But now, the distillers corn oil is the second-most used feedstock for domestic biodiesel production in the world only after soybean oil. The distillers corn oil has a feedstock share of 13.17% in the biodiesel production internationally. Many ethanol producing companies have started co-producing the distillers corn oil have located these distillers corn oil production facilities at the ethanol plants itself. This is due to the increasing demand of the distillers corn oil in the biodiesel production.
The distillers corn oil directly after distillation contains elevated levels of metals(minerals), gums, color, and free fatty acid(FFA). This is very beneficial for the animal feed. But during recent discoveries, distillers corn oil has been termed a very good source for biodiesel. But before the use of the distillers corn oil as the feedstock of biodiesel, it has to be first purified from these impurities that are present. This is because of the damage these impurities in the distillers corn oil to the catalytic convertors.
The distillers corn oil use in the biodiesel feedstock has doubled in the U.S. from 2011 to 2102 period. 40.5 million gallons of distillers corn oil was produced in 2011 which jumped to 76 million gallons in 2012. This saw an increase of 53% in the use of the distillers corn oil.
Distillers Corn Oil: Segmentation
The global distillers corn oil is segmented on the basis of distillation type and end use.
On the basis of distillation type, the global Distillers Corn Oil market has been segmented as-
- Dry-milling distillery
- Wet-mill distillery
On the basis of end use, the global Distillers Corn Oil market has been segmented as-
- Biodiesel manufacturing
- Livestock feed
Distillers Corn Oil: Key Players
Some of the leading players of global Distillers Corn Oil market include Green Plains Inc., Cardinal Ethanol LLC, Redfield Energy LLC, POET LLC, Greenfield Global Inc., United Wisconsin Grain Producers LLC, Aemetis Inc., Ace Ethanol LLC, RPMG Inc., Patriot Renewable Fuels, LLC.
Distillers Corn Oil: Activities by participants
- Greenfield Global Inc., in 2017 has expanded its bio refinery in Varennes, Quebec for sustainable biofuel production. This was to reduce the waste production by the company. The expansion was supposed to increase its annual ethanol production capacity by 70%. And this expansion was planned to carry out when the government was seeking to reduce harmful gas emissions.
Distillers Corn Oil: Opportunities
The cumulative production of distillers corn oil has increased by 15% in Y-o-Y growth of the year 2016 and 2017. The distillers corn oil use in the biodiesel is increasing as the ethanol producing industries are increasing. The analysis shows that U.S. ethanol biorefineries are capturing two-thirds of distillers corn oil market during the ethanol production and selling it into the market. Also, the distillers corn oil use as a feedstock in the biodiesel manufacturing has increased from 30% in 2015 to near 50% in the year 2017. The U.S. ethanol industry in the year 2017 produced 3.7 billion pounds of distillers corn oil.
Also, a lot of research is going into producing the distillers corn oil. This research is being produced to either uses the distillers corn oil in the other products or to yield more oil from the distillers grains. This will help the manufacturer to get a good yield and cater to the demands of the market for the distillers corn oil.
Brief Approach to Research
The research report presents a comprehensive assessment of the market, and contains thoughtful insights, facts, historical data, and statistically supported and industry-validated market data. It also contains projections using a suitable set of assumptions and methodologies. The research report provides analysis and information according to market segments such as geography, application, product type, and mount type.
Key Data Points Covered in the Report:
- An overview of the global nitrite market, including background and advancement.
- Macroeconomic factors affecting the nitrite market and its potential.
- Market dynamics, such as drivers, challenges, and trends.
- Detailed value chain analysis of the nitrite market.
- The cost structure of the nitrite and segments covered in the study.
- In-depth pricing analysis, by crucial nitrite segments, regions, and by major market participants.
- Analysis of supply and demand, such as top producing and consuming geographies, imports/exports, and overall trade scenario.
- Analysis of the market structure, including a tier-wise categorization of key market participants.
- Competitive landscape of the market, including detailed profiles of the top players in this market.
The report is a compilation of first-hand information, qualitative and quantitative assessment by industry analysts, and inputs from industry experts and industry participants across the value chain. The report provides in-depth analysis of parent market trends, macro-economic indicators, and governing factors, along with market attractiveness as per segment. The report also maps the qualitative impact of various market factors on market segments and geographies.
The report covers exhaustive analysis on:
- Market Segments for Distillers Corn Oil Market
- Market Dynamics
- Market Size of Distillers Corn Oil
- Supply & Demand
- Current Trends/Issues/Challenges
- Competition & Companies Involved
- Value Chain
- Market Drivers and Restraints
Regional analysis of Distillers Corn Oil includes:
- North America (U.S., Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Chile, Rest of LATAM)
- Europe (Germany, Italy, U.K, Spain, France, Nordic countries, BENELUX, Eastern Europe, Rest of Europe)
- CIS & Russia
- Asia Pacific Excluding Japan (Greater China, India, South Korea, ASEAN Countries, Rest of APEJ)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC Countries, Turkey, Iran, Israel, S. Africa, Rest of MEA)
- Detailed overview of parent market
- Changing market dynamics in the industry
- In-depth market segmentation
- Historical, current and projected market size in terms of volume and value
- Recent industry trends and developments
- Competitive landscape
- Strategies of key players and products offered
- Potential and niche segments, geographical regions exhibiting promising growth
- A neutral perspective on market performance
- Must-have information for market players to sustain and enhance their market footprint
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.