Distilled Tall Oil Market: Crude Tall Oil vs. Distilled Tall Oil
- The material produced during the production of wood pulp is known as crude tall oil. In Swedish language, ‘tall’ means ‘pine,’ which denotes that crude tall oil is produced during pulping of softwood pine trees.
- Crude tall oil is a mixture of rosins, fatty acids, and other neutral materials, which form a water-in-oil compound. Furthermore, crude tall oil can be separated into tall oil resins, tall oil fatty acids, heads, pitch, and distilled tall oil through the process of fractionation and distillation.
- Distilled tall oil (DTO) is a composite-rich mixture of rosin acids and fatty acids, which is obtained by vacuum distillation of crude tall oil. Rising demand for fatty acids and rosin acids leads to high demand for distilled tall oil.
- Distilled tall oil provides superior properties that are useful in several blended products and chemical reactions
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Distilled Tall Oil Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Vacuum Distillation of Crude Tall Oil
- The distillation process of crude tall oil consists of dehydration, which takes place in a moderate vacuum at a temperature of 120°C–170°C. Furthermore, the distillation process takes place in a deep vacuum and at a temperature of 220°C–280°C.
- Thin-film evaporators or distillation columns are used in order to accomplish depitching. The downstream distillation column uses advanced design with special arrangement of high-efficiency packaging.
- This special arrangement ensures maximum separation efficiency even at a low pressure. The product quality can be further fine-tuned as per the application.
- Products formed after distilling crude tall oil are tall oil fatty acid (TOFA), tall oil rosin (TOR), distilled tall oil (DTO), tall oil pitch (TOP), and tall oil heads (TOH), which can be further used as fuel additives, adhesives, printing inks, food adhesives, dimer acids, etc.
Key Drivers of Global Distilled Tall Oil Market
- Large-scale availability of crude tall oil as a raw material is one of the major drivers of the global distilled tall oil market. Demand for distilled tall oil for use in the production of detergents, soaps, lubricants, and coating chemicals is increasing due to its flexibility and low price.
- Increasing demand for renewable fuel is resulting in high demand for distilled tall oil as a raw material Government policies and environment-related regulations are boosting the demand for renewable fuel. Innovative and special designs for distillation of tall oil are undergoing development. This factor is anticipated to drive the global distilled tall oil market in the near future.
- Neste Jacobs, a technology, project management and engineering company, has installed its NAPCON controllers in Forchem Oyj’s tall oil distillation plant. Forchem Oyj runs this world-scale tall oil distillation plant in Rauma, Finland, wherein vacuum distillation is the primarily used technology, which is originally designed and developed by Neste Jacobs.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Distilled Tall Oil Market here
North America to Hold a Major Share of Global Distilled Tall Oil Market
- Geographically, the global distilled tall oil market can be segmented into five regions: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America is likely to hold a significant share of the global market during the forecast period, as the region witnesses high demand for bio-based products and bio-based fuel. Also, well-established distillation and refining companies operate in the region.
- Moreover, the distilled tall oil market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, due to increasing demand for a cost-effective raw material for the production of lubricants, detergents, and petroleum products
- Europe is projected to hold a moderate share of the global distilled tall oil market in the next few years, as the market in the region is mature and the region has a large number of crude tall oil processing facilities
- The market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is expected to expand at a sluggish pace during the forecast period
Key Players Operating in Global Distilled Tall Oil Market:
Leading players operating in the global distilled tall oil market are:
- Forchem Oyj
- Pine Chemical Group
- Ilim Group
- OOO Torgoviy Dom Lesokhimik
- Foreverest Resources Ltd
- KRATON CORPORATION
- Stora Enso
- Solis Oil
Global Distilled Tall Oil Market: Research Scope
Global Distilled Tall Oil Market, by End-user Industry
- Building & Construction
- Oil & Gas
Global Distilled Tall Oil Market, by Application
- Soaps & Detergents
- Printing Inks
Global Distilled Tall Oil Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.