Directional drilling controls the trajectory and deviation of the well during drilling operations. It deviates a wellbore and explore the oilfields from a targeted location. Rise in energy demand due to the shale gas revolution, urbanization & industrialization, and oilfield discoveries in onshore as well as offshore locations are major factors driving the directional drilling service market. Horizontal directional drilling (HDD) or directional boring is a steerable trenchless method of installing conduits, cables, and underground pipes with minimum effect to the contiguous area. HDD is primarily used for utility installation, cable laying, and underground construction.
Directional drilling services have transformed the oil and gas industry. Oil and gas can be extracted economically from the deep ocean floor using directional drilling. It is also used to deplete and formerly abandoned oil wells. Directional drilling technology increases the area covered by a single rig, saving capital expenditure. Increase in demand for chemical and petrochemicals products and rise in exploration and production activities in distant locations and deep waters are boosting the oil & gas segment of the market. Volatility of the crude oil market and environmental concerns during drilling operation are restraining the directional drilling services market.
The direction drilling services market can be segmented based on application, type, services, and region. In terms of application, the market can be bifurcated into onshore and offshore. Based on types, the market can be split into conventional and rotary steerable system. The conventional segment is expected to holds a major share of the market in Asia Pacific due to rapid urbanization & industrialization in the region. In terms of services, the direction drilling services market can be divided into measurement while drilling (MWD) & survey, logging while drilling (LWD), motors, rotary steerable system (RSS), and others (automated drilling systems, well bore positioning, side tracking, hydraulics, well planning, drag analysis, and torque). The rotary steerable system (RSS) segment is expected to account for a major share of the directional drilling services market due to the increase in use of directional and horizontal drilling activities in exploration and production (E&P) of shale gas.
Based on region, the directional drillings services market can be segmented into North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa. North America is a dominating market for directional drilling services as most of the directional and horizontal wells are drilled in the region. In North America, the evolution of the directional drilling services market can be ascribed to factors such as drilling activity for shale gas in countries like U.S. and Canada. The U.S. is the dominant player in this region owing to the increase in E&P activities for shale gas in the Gulf of Mexico. The market in North America is followed by Asia Pacific, which is also driven by E&P activities in China and India. China is one of the major consumers of oil & gas, was planned to increase natural gas consumption as it seems to be replace coal as a chief energy source due to stringent government regulation. Middle East and Africa is also key market player for E&P of crude oil. This is expected to increase in near future due to the increase in production of onshore and offshore exploration activities. However, uncertainty of the upstream oil market and low crude oil prices increases the focus on renewable energy, which can restrain the directional drilling services market.
Key players operating in the global directional drilling services market include, Halliburton Company, Baker Hughes Incorporated, National Oil well Varco, Inc., Weatherford International plc, Jindal Drilling & Industries Limited, Cathedral Energy Services Ltd., and Schlumberger Limited.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.