Digital scent technology refers to the online communication using the human nose. It is a crucial application for e-nose. Digital scent technology enables the transmission of odor over the internet. The technology works with the help of olfactometers and electronic noses. In an attempt to further enhance the virtual reality experience and the growing area of virtual reality from entertainment to e-commerce applications is paving the way for a rise in the need for developing this e-nose technology. Digital scent technology provides the user with the benefit of getting to smell the product before buying it online. For instance, a California-based company, Digiscents Inc. has created a small device called the iSmell, which has its own driver and can be connected through a personal computer via serial ports. The expansion of the digital scents market is augmented by developments in virtual reality. Virtual reality enhances the features of the computers by introducing new concepts such as digi smell, which is a combination of hardware and software. The hardware part produces the smell and the software part helps in generating specific signals for specific smells. Digital scent technology works by coding aromas, which are then downloaded in computers as audible sounds. This technology also enables the user to produce and modify their personal fragrances.
High cost of electronic nose and delays between successive smell tastes are some restraints faced by the global digital scent technology market. For instance, digital scent technology used in the field of defense and clinical diagnosis is comparatively expensive, and therefore, it acts as a barrier for further expansion of the market. Unpredictability of air flow is another major factor that hinders the transmission of digitalized smell, and thus restricts its usage.
Widespread utilization of digital scent technology in defense and security is estimated to create growth opportunities in the market during the forecast period.
The global digital scent technology market can be segmented into type, applications, end-user industry, and geography. In terms of type, the market can be segmented into, scent synthesizer, and E-nose. Electronic nose or E-nose is a device that analyses the chemical content of a specific odor and identifies it. Scent synthesizer is a computer peripheral device which is connected to a USB port or serial port through which smell is emitted whenever a user visits the concerned website or opens his/her email account. In terms of type, the electronic nose market segment is expected to hold substantial share of the market due to its extensive usage in the defense and healthcare sectors. Moreover, in terms of applications, the digital scent technology market can be segmented into mobile phones, music and video games, quality control products, smelling screens, medical diagnostic products, and others. Furthermore, in terms of end-user industry, the market can be segmented into healthcare, entertainment, food and beverage, education, defense, and others. In the healthcare sector, digital scent technology is used in aromatherapy for curing certain diseases by employing different types of smells. Aromatherapy also helps in diagnosing brain disorders. In the education sector, digital scent technology is utilized for teaching certain subjects such as, botany, geography, and history. In the entertainment sector, digital scent technology helps in making a movie or a music more life-like. In the defense sector, digital scent technology is used for detecting explosives. Digital scent technology finds maximum usage in the healthcare sector followed by food and beverage, and defense. The healthcare sector is projected to hold a considerable share of the market during the forecast period.
In terms of geography, the global digital scent technology market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and Latin America. North America is likely to hold significant share of the market due to the presence of leading players operating in this market. Europe is estimated to follow North America in terms of market share. However, the Asia Pacific market is anticipated to expand rapidly during the forecast period due to rapid development and investments in research and development in digital scent technology.
Key players operating in the global digital scent technology market include ScentSational Technologies LLC (U.S.), Scent Sciences Corporation (U.S.), Smiths Detection Inc. (U.S.), Electronics Sensor Technology (U.S.), Scentcom Ltd. (Israel), The eNose Company (Netherlands), and AIRSENSE Analytics GmbH (Germany).
The report offers a comprehensive evaluation of the market. It does so via in-depth qualitative insights, historical data, and verifiable projections about market size. The projections featured in the report have been derived using proven research methodologies and assumptions. By doing so, the research report serves as a repository of analysis and information for every facet of the market, including but not limited to: Regional markets, technology, types, and applications.
The study is a source of reliable data on:
- Market segments and sub-segments
- Market trends and dynamics
- Supply and demand
- Market size
- Current trends/opportunities/challenges
- Competitive landscape
- Technological breakthroughs
- Value chain and stakeholder analysis
The regional analysis covers:
- North America (U.S. and Canada)
- Latin America (Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and others)
- Western Europe (Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Nordic countries, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg)
- Eastern Europe (Poland and Russia)
- Asia Pacific (China, India, Japan, ASEAN, Australia, and New Zealand)
- Middle East and Africa (GCC, Southern Africa, and North Africa)
The report has been compiled through extensive primary research (through interviews, surveys, and observations of seasoned analysts) and secondary research (which entails reputable paid sources, trade journals, and industry body databases). The report also features a complete qualitative and quantitative assessment by analyzing data gathered from industry analysts and market participants across key points in the industry’s value chain.
A separate analysis of prevailing trends in the parent market, macro- and micro-economic indicators, and regulations and mandates is included under the purview of the study. By doing so, the report projects the attractiveness of each major segment over the forecast period.
Highlights of the report:
- A complete backdrop analysis, which includes an assessment of the parent market
- Important changes in market dynamics
- Market segmentation up to the second or third level
- Historical, current, and projected size of the market from the standpoint of both value and volume
- Reporting and evaluation of recent industry developments
- Market shares and strategies of key players
- Emerging niche segments and regional markets
- An objective assessment of the trajectory of the market
- Recommendations to companies for strengthening their foothold in the market
Note: Although care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy in TMR’s reports, recent market/vendor-specific changes may take time to reflect in the analysis.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.