Diethylene Glycol Market: Overview
- Diethylene glycol is an organic, colorless, almost odorless, and poisonous chemical compound. It is synthesized through the partial hydrolysis of ethylene oxide. Diethylene glycol is hygroscopic liquid with a sweetish taste that is mixable in water, alcohol, ether, acetone, and ethylene glycol.
- Diethylene glycol is extensively used as a solvent for resins, paint pigments, oils, textile dyes, and printing. It is used as raw material in manufacture of plasticizers, thermoplastic polyurethanes, and polyester resins. Diethylene glycol is also significantly employed as a humectant in paper & pulp, tobacco manufacturing, leather processing, and printing inks applications.
- Ethylene glycol (MEG) and triethylene glycol are used to produce diethylene glycol as a co-product in the chemical process. Diethylene glycol is listed in the Inventory of Cosmetic Ingredients (EC) as solvent and viscosity controller in perfume and aromatic raw materials.
- Key applications of diethylene glycol include plasticizer, solvent, polyester resin, chemical intermediate, and personal care
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF sample of Diethylene Glycol Market report
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Diethylene Glycol Market
- Diethylene glycol is used as a raw material in the production of plasticizers for paper, cork, and synthetic sponges. This is expected to drive the global diethylene glycol market during the forecast period.
- Diethylene glycol is employed as plasticizer in the plastics industry. Demand for Diethylene glycol is rising in the plastics industry owing to the increase in use of plastic products. This is anticipated to fuel the demand for diethylene glycol during the forecast period.
- Diethylene glycol is also used as chemical intermediate for products such as polyester resins and polyurethanes. Therefore, demand for diethylene glycol is high in the chemical industry. This is estimated to boost the global diethylene glycol market in the next few years. However, diethylene glycol is a poisonous chemical compound. Therefore, regulatory bodies have enacted stringent regulations on the usage of diethylene glycol. This is projected to hamper the global diethylene glycol market during the forecast period.
Diethylene Glycol: Application Segment
- Based on application, the global diethylene glycol market can be segmented into plasticizer, solvent, polyester resin, chemical intermediate, personal care, and others
- Diethylene glycol is used as a raw material in the manufacture of plasticizers and polyester resins. It is used as a solvent for textile dyes, paint pigments, resins, oils, and printing. It is also employed as a chemical intermediate for products such as polyurethanes. Many personal care and cosmetics products such as skin creams, lotions, toothpastes, and deodorants are made using diethylene glycol.
- The plasticizer segment is expected to hold significant share of the global diethylene glycol market in the near future
Asia Pacific to Dominate Global Diethylene Glycol Market
- In terms of region, the global diethylene glycol market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The diethylene glycol market in Asia Pacific is likely to expand at a faster pace compared to that in other regions primarily due to the high demand for diethylene glycol in major end-user industries such as paints & coatings, chemicals, and building & construction. Developing countries in the region, such as India, China, and South Korea, are the major markets for diethylene glycol. Construction activities are increasing in these countries against the backdrop of rapid industrialization and urbanization.
- Europe and North America are the other key regions of the global diethylene glycol market. Europe is anticipated to be a major region of the global diethylene glycol market after Asia Pacific due to the significant demand for diethylene glycol in textile dyes and automotive industries.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report on Diethylene Glycol Market
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Diethylene Glycol Market
The global diethylene glycol market was highly fragmented in 2019. Major players have prominent presence in developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global diethylene glycol market include:
- Reliance Group
- Indian Oil
- Formosa Plastic Group
- Nippon Shokubai
- Huntsman International LLC
- Royal Dutch Shell PLC
- DowDuPont Inc
- LyondellBasell Industries NV
- India Glycols Limited
- The Kuwait Olefins Co
Global Diethylene Glycol Market: Research Scope
Global Diethylene Glycol Market, by End-use
- Building & Construction
- Personal Care & Cosmetics
- Paints & Coatings
Global Diethylene Glycol Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa