Dermatoscopy is a process through which the examination of skin lesions can be determined using an instrument, i.e., dermatoscope. The instrument is used by dermatologists to distinguish benign tumors and malignant (cancerous) lesions, especially in the diagnosis of melanoma. Modern dermatoscope uses the liquid medium and polarized light in order to cancel out the skin surface reflection. The images or videos are digitally processed using a digital epiluminescence dermatoscope. 3Gen introduced the first polarized dermatoscope known as DermLite, which allows visualization of skin structures using an immersion fluid. The convenient method of detection and different optimization of images as compared to glass dermatoscope added an advantage over vascular pattern diagnosis. However, new developments in dermatoscope allow image at the cellular and vascular level, paving way for earlier diagnosis and treatment of cancer disease.
High prevalence of skin cancer disease, rise in patient awareness about skin cancer, growth in research and development initiatives, reduction of the frequency of unnecessary surgical procedures, and high cost of treatment and diagnostic imaging procedures through MRI and X-ray devices are important driving factors of the dermatoscope market. According to the American Academy of Dermatology 2017, the World Health Organization has estimated that more than 65,000 people worldwide are likely to die of melanoma. In 2017, 9,730 deaths due to melanoma are estimated in the U.S. According to the WHO, 2015, the number of new cases of cancer is expected to rise by about 70% over the next two decades. Growth in technologies such as USB imaging and video technology of imaging melanoma is likely to fuel the growth of the global dermatoscope market. However, introduction of biological agents for melanoma detection and new technologies such as SPECT and PET are expected to hamper the market growth.
The global dermatoscope market has been segmented based on product, technology, modality, application, and geography. In terms of product, the dermatoscope market is classified into contact dermatoscope, hybrid dermatoscope, and non-contact dermatoscope. Polarized dermatoscope (non-contact dermatoscope) is a rapid growing product segment owing to increase in prevalence of skin cancer diseases globally. In terms of technology, the market is classified into LED, xenon, halogen, and ultraviolet. In terms of modality, the market of dermatoscope is classified into hand-handled, trolley mounted, and headband. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation 2017, more than 419,000 cases of skin cancer are projected to be reported in the U.S. each year, out of which are likely to be 168,000 squamous cell carcinomas, 245,000 basal cell carcinomas, and 6,200 melanomas; these are linked to indoor tanning. In terms of application, the market is classified into skin tumors, scabies, warts, fungal infections, and others. Based on geography, the market is distributed over North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Middle East & Africa.
Geographically, North America dominates the global dermatoscope market due to increase in number of melanoma cases among men owing to tanning and ultraviolet rays. Early-phase diagnosis and treatment of the disease is driving the medical biotechnology market, which in turn is expected to drive the North America dermatoscope market. Europe is the second leading market for dermatoscope as there are favorable government policies regarding health care infrastructure and awareness among population against skin cancer. The market in Asia Pacific is expected to grow at a higher rate due to rise in population, changing lifestyle, increase in awareness about skin cancer, and growth in per capita expenditure. In addition, economic growth and rise in medical tourism along with research and cancer laboratories are supporting the health care infrastructure improvement in developing countries such as India, Brazil, and China. Thus, all the above mentioned factors collectively support the growth of the dermatoscope market in Asia Pacific and Latin America.
The major players operating in the global dermatoscope market include FotoFinder Systems GmbH, Optilia Instruments AB, Dino-Lite, 3Gen, Rudolf Riester GmbH, NIDEK CO., LTD., ILLUCO Corporation Ltd., KIRCHNER & WILHELM GmbH + Co. KG, and Canfield Scientific, Inc.
This intelligence report by TMR is the outcome of intense study and rigorous assessment of various dynamics shaping the growth of the market. TMR nurtures a close-knit team of analysts, strategists, and industry experts who offer clients tools, methodologies, and frameworks to make smarter decisions. Our objective, insights, and actionable analytics provide CXOs and executives to advance their mission-critical priorities with confidence.
The scrutiny of the various forces impacting the dynamics of the market, and key and associated industries, guides enterprises in understanding various consumer propositions. Our clients leverage these insights and perspectives to enhance customer experience in the fast-paced business environment.
All our insights and perspectives are broadly based on 4 Pillars or Stages: ASBC-S, which offer an elaborate and customizable framework for the success of an organization. The essence and the roles of these in organizational successes are highlighted below:
- Agenda for CXOs: TMR, through the study, sets the tone for agendas that are pertinent to CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and other CXO executives of businesses operating in the market. The perspectives help our clients to bridge the gap between agenda and action plan. TMR strives to offer guidance to CXOs to undertake mission-critical activities empowered by various business analysis tools, and boost the performance of the organizations. The perspectives guide you to decide on your own marketing mix that align well with the policies, visions, and mission.
- Strategic Frameworks: The study offers how organizations are setting both short-term and long-term strategic plans. Our team of experts collaborate and communicate with you to understand these to make your organizations sustainable and resilient during tough times. The insights help them decide sustainable competitive advantage for each business units.
- Benchmarking for Deciding Target Markets and Brand Positioning: The assessments in the study provides a scrutiny of marketing channels and marketing mix. Our various teams work synergistically with you to help identify your actual and potential direct, indirect, and budget competition areas. Additionally, the study helps you decide most effective budgets for various processes and promotional activities. Furthermore, the study guides you to set benchmarks for integrating people and processes with the 4Ps of marketing. Eventually, this will empower you to find out unique propositioning strategies and niches.
- Business Composability for Sustainability (C-S): Constant strategy planning for sustainability characterizing our C-S framework in the report has become more relevant than before in the face of disruptions caused by pandemics, recessions, boom and bust cycles, and changing geopolitical scenario. The TMR study offers a high level of customization to help you achieve business composability. Composable enterprises are increasingly gaining the attention of CXOs in order to help them combat market volatility. Our analysts and industry experts help you wade through such uncertainties and guide you to become a smart sustainable business in entirety.
The study presents scrutiny of region-specific consumer and technology trends, including the most recent industry dynamics. These broadly cover but not limited to
- North America, South America, and the Americas
- Asia Pacific and Japan
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The study offers data-driven insights and guidance of several aspects. Some of the more notable questions are:
- What are the major recent trends that can influence the product life cycle and the RoI?
- Which regulatory trends shape corporate-level, business-level, and functional-level strategies?
- Which micromarketing initiatives of leading players will bring in investments?
- What can be the best framework and tools for PESTLE analysis?
- Which regions will witness rise in new opportunities?
- Which are the game-changing technologies being used to capture new revenue streams in the near future?
- Which operational and tactical frameworks are being adopted by various players in gaining customer loyalty?
- What is the current and expected intensity of competition the market in the near future?
Disclaimer: This market research study is an ongoing effort and extreme care has been taken to maintain the highest levels of accuracy at all stages. However, in the light of the rapidly evolving business dynamics, some region-specific or other segment-specific changes may take time to be part of the study.