COVID-19 Impact on Dental Compomers Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The COVID-19 pandemic had a significant impact on the dental industry. Dentists, in general, were unable to practice during the initial lockdown period. However, after nearly a year of dealing with the pandemic, dentistry was deemed an ‘essential service’, and dentists were able to carry out their practice despite additional lockdowns across the globe. This helped the dental compomers market recover.
Drivers and Restraints of Dental Compomers Market
- Dental compomers are primarily used in deciduous teeth restorations, class iii and v cavity restorations, and temporary restoration applications. Dental compomers, also known as polyacid-modified resin composites, are used as filling materials in dentistry.
- Growth in the dental industry is one of the key drivers of the dental compomers market. Prime factors contributing to the growth of the market include consumer interests, higher spending ability, and rise in senior citizen population. Another factor that is augmenting the market is increase in attention given to appearance by people, making them opt for prostheses in case of dental issues.
Dental Compomers: Product Type Segment
- In terms of product type, the global dental compomers market can be divided into light-curing and colored light-curing
- The light-curing segment is projected to hold major share of the global dental compomers market during the forecast period. Dental light-curing units are handheld devices that are used for the polymerization of visible light-activated dental materials. The four types of light-curing units that are currently available are quartz-tungsten-halogen (QTH), light-emitting diode (LED), plasma arc curing (PAC), and Argon laser units.
- The colored light-curing product type segment is projected to follow the light-curing segment during the forecast period. Colored light-curing is a solution for nervous, impatient children, with a choice of seven glittering colors.
Dental Compomers: Application Segment
- Based on application, the global dental compomers market can be segmented into deciduous teeth restorations, class iii and v cavity restorations, temporary restorations, and others
- The class iii and v cavity restorations segment is projected to gain higher share of the global dental compomers market during the forecast period. Almost all Class iii and Class v restorations are properly restored with composites. Most Class v restorations in esthetically prominent areas are also appropriately restored with composites. In addition to esthetics, these materials with adequate strength and the ability to bond to tooth structure often result in less tooth structure removal during tooth preparation.
- The deciduous teeth restorations segment is projected to hold vital share of the global dental compomers market in the near future. Deciduous teeth restorations are the various ways in which the dentist can replace or restore missing teeth or missing parts of the tooth structure, or structures that need to be removed to prevent decay that may cause pain in the future.
Asia Pacific to Hold Leading Share of Dental Compomers Market
- In terms of region, the dental compomers market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific is expected to hold a major share of the global dental compomers market, followed by North America and Europe, during the forecast period. Dental compomers have remained a relatively unconventional and distinct segment of the China healthcare sector. Unlike other specialties, dental care in China is provided by hospitals and stand-alone clinics. Leading dental schools have also established vital stomatology hospitals in their respective areas, providing complex and comprehensive treatments. In recent years, public awareness of oral hygiene has grown, giving the sector excellent growth potential in Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou. As a result, the dental industry has become an important aspect of health care in many parts of China. This is expected to drive the market in Asia Pacific during the forecast period.
- The dental compomers market in North America and Europe is projected to expand at a rapid pace in the near future
Key Manufacturers Operating in Dental Compomers Market
The dental compomers market was consolidated in 2021. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the dental compomers market include:
- VOCO GmbH
- Dentsply Sirona
- Ivoclar Vivadent
- Sirona Dental Systems Foshan Co.
- Planmeca OY
- GC Corporation
- Biolase Inc.
- Nissin Dental Products Inc.
Dental Compomers: Research Scope
Dental Compomers Market, by Product Type
- Coloured Light-curing
Dental Compomers Market, by Application
- Deciduous Teeth Restorations
- Class III and V Cavities Restorations
- Temporary Restorations
Global Dental Compomers Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Dental Compomers: Introduction
- Dental compomers are used as restorative materials in dentistry. They were introduced in the early 1990s as a hybrid of two other dental materials: dental composites and glass ionomer cement. They are also known as polyacid-modified resin composites. They are used for restorations in low stress-bearing areas.
- Compomers are dental restorative materials containing glass ionomer cement. Features of compomers include fluoride release, radiopaque, quick cure time, and good handling characteristics, i.e. no slumping, easy to shape/polish, and no sticking.
- Compomers are a popular choice among dentists. They are known for their good handling characteristics and fluoride release benefits.